MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

A way to cure 'Memory Leak'

OP LowDef

3rd February 2010, 02:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33

229 posts
I'd been experiencing memory leak problem for months. Atleast 1-3 soft-resets were a must within each day. I'd tried out many way to resolve and now I think I've found a way to get over it.

But first, the memory leak in my sense is the decreasing of program's free RAM after each soft reset. Even you are not touching your ppc, your free RAM still going down and hang up at the end.

In my case I primaryly noticed the service.exe size was becoming bigger and bigger from 200KB to 16+MB within few hours (possibly). The problem caused by windows live service. I still do not know any technical reasons behind but after I deleted some Windows Live registry keys, the problem has gone. Now is after my 2 days test, the services.exe has never gone beyond 1.6 MB. System is now very stable no reset required for days.

This might help some system having same problem, so I come here and share this. BUT USE IT AS YOUR OWN RISK.

Go into registry,
HKLM\Services\Windows Live

Delete the keys inside EXCEPT following,

Platform
Plugins
Sync
Version

Also, delete keys inside 'Plugins' EXCEPT following,

Contracts
Messaging

GOOD LUCK !
3rd February 2010, 03:11 PM   |  #2  
Top Secret
Thanks Meter: 113

1,524 posts
nice I will test!
3rd February 2010, 04:20 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

366 posts
Ill try it out... Hope it doesn't create any issues... Those changes seem ok :\
3rd February 2010, 05:50 PM   |  #4  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 7

430 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't think many other people are experiencing memory leaks like you, perhaps you should look at your ROM version and what software you have on your device.
3rd February 2010, 09:35 PM   |  #5  
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,136

18,622 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDef

I'd been experiencing memory leak problem for months. Atleast 1-3 soft-resets were a must within each day. I'd tried out many way to resolve and now I think I've found a way to get over it.

But first, the memory leak in my sense is the decreasing of program's free RAM after each soft reset. Even you are not touching your ppc, your free RAM still going down and hang up at the end.

In my case I primaryly noticed the service.exe size was becoming bigger and bigger from 200KB to 16+MB within few hours (possibly). The problem caused by windows live service. I still do not know any technical reasons behind but after I deleted some Windows Live registry keys, the problem has gone. Now is after my 2 days test, the services.exe has never gone beyond 1.6 MB. System is now very stable no reset required for days.

This might help some system having same problem, so I come here and share this. BUT USE IT AS YOUR OWN RISK.

Go into registry,
HKLM\Services\Windows Live

Delete the keys inside EXCEPT following,

Platform
Plugins
Sync
Version

Also, delete keys inside 'Plugins' EXCEPT following,

Contracts
Messaging

GOOD LUCK !

16MB+ for your services.exe?!?!? Jeez...
Which build are you using and on which device? I have refrained from cooking WL applications in my Vogue and if what you are saying is true, then I might just start cooking it in (or not at all, depending on your answer )
3rd February 2010, 11:58 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33

229 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

16MB+ for your services.exe?!?!? Jeez...
Which build are you using and on which device? I have refrained from cooking WL applications in my Vogue and if what you are saying is true, then I might just start cooking it in (or not at all, depending on your answer )

A way to completely restore the Windows Live registry tree is uninstall and then re-install WLM cab file.

I used WLM versions Windows Live 10.6.0034.0800 (Fixed).cab and WindowsLive_0409.PPC2005_arm.cab. Both versions generated memory leak on my Mitac mio A-702.

There's no new ROM available from the manufacturer nor any cooked ROM available so far.

And most important is I'm just a cute end-user lol.

Anyway hope this post might help somebody.
4th February 2010, 09:52 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

104 posts
bump.........
11th February 2010, 11:39 PM   |  #8  
Flag Hayward
Thanks Meter: 6

428 posts
More
I wish I could find a way to get Pocket CM Contacts v.29 to run without memory leak. It's unusable for me. My Kaiser will be running at 55%, I get a few text messages with PCM running, and suddenly it climbs up to 80% till I close it out completely.

Damn shame.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread