MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

how to activate Mytouch 3G without a data plan, even a sim card

22nd October 2009, 03:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

529 posts
More
I am about to purchase a Mytouch but according to what I have heard, you can't go pass the welcome screen without a data plan. Is that correct ? If it isn't, can anyone tell me how to activate it via Wifi using ADB like the process for G1 ?
Thanks a lot
23rd October 2009, 10:27 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
I had the same problem when i first got my phone because i bought it on craigslist (no contract). If you know anyone that has Tmobile with a data plan u can use their sim card to activate your phone. As long as you get past signing in with google you should be good. Please Root your phone in future to avoid having this problem again.
23rd October 2009, 08:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

529 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by young3g

I had the same problem when i first got my phone because i bought it on craigslist (no contract). If you know anyone that has Tmobile with a data plan u can use their sim card to activate your phone. As long as you get past signing in with google you should be good. Please Root your phone in future to avoid having this problem again.

Thanks for the reply, I thought nobody would answer this ! I knew this, but what I am asking is: How to activate it via adb or something that can be done on G1.
Thanks in advance
24th October 2009, 04:52 AM   |  #4  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by te_quiero_forever_girl

Thanks for the reply, I thought nobody would answer this ! I knew this, but what I am asking is: How to activate it via adb or something that can be done on G1.
Thanks in advance

Have you tried following the steps outlined here?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=452316

What I gathered from that tutorial is that the 'unlocking' is simply a record added to a database in the phone, which you can get around if you root the phone and manually add it yourself. Haven't tried this though.
24th October 2009, 06:51 AM   |  #5  

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by te_quiero_forever_girl

Thanks in advance

Check out this thread if your'e still having trouble. There is a software for rooting your phone. (Relentless rooter plus).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=556200
24th October 2009, 12:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

529 posts
More
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies ! The methods u guys offered are pretty much how to root a magic, means that I must have my phone activated first,lol
Thanks again
7th November 2009, 12:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
First, I do not know how to active the G2 with a SIM, or via Wifi rather than via APN. (I'm trying to do the same thing myself at this time, and still seeking the solution).

BUT... I have found a baby step. I see that when you turn on the phone, it comes up to a starter screen which shows you the green Android, and the two selections, Emergency Dial, and, Change Language. I find that if I click on the "MENU" button, it pops up a tab at the bottom of the screen that says APN. This allows me to change the APN settings. Worthless without SOME data plan, but, it might be helpful to someone trying to use an alternate provider's APN settings (along with a SIM sled / flexible PCB (sold on several sites) behind the SIM to 'unlock' use with an alternative carrier, such as AT&T - easier to borrow an iPhone SIM with a Data plan, as there are more of them). Just a thought.

Just a note, I have already changed my phone from "Donut" to "CupCake", and my goal is to go to "Root". My current HBoot is 1.33.0006 (my phone has the 32B motherboard).
7th November 2009, 01:41 AM   |  #8  
Flag Peoria
Thanks Meter: 11

686 posts
More
i got past the welcome screen without a data plan. We have 3 mt3g in my house and we all got past the welcome screen.
7th November 2009, 02:27 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
I just got past the activation screen, but without any magic. The version of firmware I have on my phone (HBOOT-1.33.0006) is likely newer than the one which allowed you to skip authentication without a data plan... I suspect this maneuver / inconvenience was added to the later versions of the firmware for exactly what it tried to require of me - to verify that I am a supposedly new customer, or an existing customer with a 3G data plan.

I was able to activate the phone the first try using my TMobile SIM which has a 5.99 TMobile Web (aka T-Zones) plan on it. That SIM worked for about 1 hour with data access, then MAGICally, the data stopped working, though the phone still worked as a phone.

I read up, and discovered this likely had something to do with the Donut / Cupcake installed on the phone by TMobile. I feel that during the one hour working time, the phone somehow auto-updated something to recognize the level of my SIM / data plan was too low.

Regardless.... I borrowed a co-worker's TMobile SIM - he had NO DATA PLAN... It allowed me to authenticate the G2 via Edge / GPRS / HSDPA. I glean from this that upon receiving an UNKNOWN, but active TMobile SIM card, the phone somehow allows that SIM access to data long enough to activate the phone. But for a SIM the phone has seen before and disabled, the disabled SIM remains disabled for data.

Next step... Root the phone, and swap out the ROM to something that doesn't lock me into requiring another activation via Gmail account (I hear that Hero may be a good ROM...). Crossing my fingers...
9th November 2009, 03:14 PM   |  #10  

54 posts
More
NEED HELP - i was reading above hoping that someone would ahve the same issue as me or well to be specific my gf.
She just got a mytouch a few days ago and got it to activate fine and all without having a data plan at all. I tried using her phone and all too and it worked perfectly although today whenever she tries to make a phone call it routes her to tmobile and she can only receive texts and not send them.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread