DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Signal Strength with AT&T and Omnia 2

OP JohnHere999

22nd October 2009, 09:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Does anyone know why my Omnia 2 gets weak signal strength on At&t. I rarely get the 3g network and, at most, get 1 bar. However, the internet works fine and I love the phone but don't know if I need to go to Verizon to get better reception.

Tried At&t support but, other than upgrading the sim card, they won"t do anything with a non-at&t device. And since it was bought before the phone was launched in the U.S. I can't get support from Samsung. Are there some settings on the phone that can be changed to improve reception? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Here's the network specs for the phone: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/1900 MHz, HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA5.76 Mbps
22nd October 2009, 10:14 PM   |  #2  

443 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHere999

Does anyone know why my Omnia 2 gets weak signal strength on At&t. I rarely get the 3g network and, at most, get 1 bar. However, the internet works fine and I love the phone but don't know if I need to go to Verizon to get better reception.

Tried At&t support but, other than upgrading the sim card, they won"t do anything with a non-at&t device. And since it was bought before the phone was launched in the U.S. I can't get support from Samsung. Are there some settings on the phone that can be changed to improve reception? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Here's the network specs for the phone: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/1900 MHz, HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA5.76 Mbps

Try changing your band settings to WCDMA then 850+1900. Works great for my Touch HD T8285.
22nd October 2009, 10:37 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
almost there - thanks
Thanks for your reply. But, after surfing the net I still can't figure out how to change these settings on the Omnia 2, ok I don't know how to do it on any phone. Is this something easily done, and if so, how?
23rd October 2009, 12:12 AM   |  #4  

443 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHere999

Thanks for your reply. But, after surfing the net I still can't figure out how to change these settings on the Omnia 2, ok I don't know how to do it on any phone. Is this something easily done, and if so, how?

Not sure on your phone but on mine go to settings, then phone, then band settings.
23rd October 2009, 01:41 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
no band settings there either
Not that easy. I get phone, then settings, then the options are general, voice call, video call and message.

General sub folders are: call cost; caller id; own number; fixed dialing; auto answer; closed user group

Voice Call sub folders are: call barring, call forwarding, call waiting

Video Call - n/a

Message sub folders are call broadcast message, wap push message, voice mail, send text message options

I tried looking at the connections menu which yields:
My Internet - add a new modem; edit my proxy server; manage existing connections.

Manage existing allows you to change from media net or other connections and when you do that there are no options for changing band. Also if you try to create a new connection there is still no mention of band.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/imag...lies/frown.gif
14th November 2009, 07:28 AM   |  #6  

32 posts
I am not sure if your phone has 850mhz, as far as I Know the omnia 2 i8000 has 900/1900/2100 compatibility and maybe that is why you are getting so weak signal,
28th January 2010, 08:16 PM   |  #7  
Flag DFW

9 posts
More
Only the Bell Canada Omnia2 has 850mhz + 1900mhz so unless you have this one it won't work well with at&t 3G.
28th January 2010, 11:06 PM   |  #8  

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3rtx

Only the Bell Canada Omnia2 has 850mhz + 1900mhz so unless you have this one it won't work well with at&t 3G.

This is true, I have the GT I8000l version and the band settings are in the Omnia Settings/Network Settings/Band settings menu -- Mine is set to Automatic, though there are other choices including the WCDMA, GSM 900/1800 and GSM 850/1900. You must also enable HSPDA setting as well (same Network menu) and then reset your phone.

I get Great 3G+ / HSPDA speeds almost everywhere around Harrisburg, PA "EXCEPT" in my own HOME location (only Edge ) Just that I am behind a mountain so.....

Anyway, this lack of Home location 3G+ is causing me to place my Omnia 2 (Bell Canada version) up for sale as I was expecting 3G in my own home !!!! (probably going to Ebay this weekend. The phone is great though and the screen (OLED) is INCREDIBLE !!! I am running SPB mobile shell 3.0 (Lite rom installed) so phone is quite zippy without the widget mess though the original Bell rom can be reinstalled. ( I have on DVD ) Really ticked though about the lack of 3G* at home so I may be looking for HD2 or such --and settle for EDGE speed.

Thanks to XDA developers for considering and supporting some Non HTC phones such as OMNIA 2
29th January 2010, 05:13 AM   |  #9  
Flag Elgin, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 14

281 posts
Not true AT ALL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3rtx

I have the original Omnia II with the 1900mhz band and have not had a single problem with excellent 3G speeds in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

I'm getting the exact same signal strengths I was getting when I had the ATT Fuze - which does have BOTH the 850 and the 1900 mhz bands.
29th January 2010, 06:18 AM   |  #10  
Flag DFW

9 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by technillion

I have the original Omnia II with the 1900mhz band and have not had a single problem with excellent 3G speeds in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

I'm getting the exact same signal strengths I was getting when I had the ATT Fuze - which does have BOTH the 850 and the 1900 mhz bands.

Chicago might primarily be 1900mhz but Dallas (my home) and probably where the original poster is located is 850mhz so the i8000L from Bell would be a better choice and probably for everyone else so you could never be limited to 1900mhz.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread