Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Hardware compass support [UPD 28 Dec: Working in *all* GPS navigation software]

OP barty22

24th October 2009, 03:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 106

1,130 posts
Probably going to buy a HD2 within a few months, and I am wondering whether there is any information available about the support for the hardware compass in any navigation software like iGO8, iGO Amigo, Google Maps (which are my personal favorites).

Google Maps Update:

The new 3.3.1 update for Google Maps (permanent link to most recent Google Maps, at the time of writing 3.3.1) adds hardware compass support for the HD2! When in the 'my location' mode, it will show you the direction you are facing by means of the blue my location dot changing into a blue arrow. You may have to walk and turn around a little bit to somewhat trigger the use of the compass. Note that this doesn't work when 'my location' is off (which makes sense). What makes less sense is that it won't work in combination with GPS either. With GPS, the arrow will still be there but will always face north. Maybe a bug?

I didn't find a way to let Google Maps rotate the map on the screen, depending on the direction you are facing.

I've double checked, and this feature is not available in the stock 3.2.1 (#16) Google Maps on the HD2.

Google Maps Update (13 Dec 2009):

This can work when using GPS as well. In Google Maps, apparently it works when you set your GPS settings to manual.
For example, set your baud rate to 57600 (Options -> GPS Settings -> Set Manually: COM4, Baud 57600).

Get compass navigation support in your GPS navigation software! (28 Dec 2009):

Have been working with Mach2003 to enable support for the compass in potentially *all* GPS navigation software!
Get GpsModDriver 1.50beta: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=583

Last edited by barty22; 28th December 2009 at 11:41 PM.
24th October 2009, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bardejov
Thanks Meter: 1

216 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barty22

Probably going to buy a HD2 within a few months, and I am wondering whether there is any information available about the support for the hardware compass in any navigation software like iGO8, iGO Amigo, Google Maps (which are my personal favorites).

Not unless HTC releases SDK for HD2
24th October 2009, 10:35 PM   |  #3  

431 posts
More
There are three possibilities:
1. Yes, some apps such as those listed will (perhaps not immediately, but eventually) be able to access the compass.
2. Yes, but the compass is mainly there for WM7 compatibility so until a WM7 upgrade comes, most apps won't be able to access the compass.
3. No, the compass is there just for the HTC Compass app, which would be really pointless and stupid.
24th October 2009, 11:46 PM   |  #4  
USA
Thanks Meter: 305

1,710 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmota78

Not unless HTC releases SDK for HD2

This is something I really don't understand about windows mobile devices.
The OEM's make such powerful phones with excellent hardware but they don't release the SDK to that developers can use these hardware feature and create good apps for the devices.
What's the point then?

I know Samsung recently starting releasing SDK's for their devices, I think HTC should follow if they want to keep people buying their devices.
25th October 2009, 01:40 AM   |  #5  

895 posts
i think that the compass will be used by some programs like igo and yes, google map, but not much more.

we will see in 2 weeks
25th October 2009, 11:27 AM   |  #6  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 44

2,499 posts
More
As far as I know HTC hasn't released SDKs for their current sensors but it doesn't prevent programs from using them they were reverse engineered very quickly.
25th October 2009, 01:51 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 38

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fire

There are three possibilities:
1. Yes, some apps such as those listed will (perhaps not immediately, but eventually) be able to access the compass.
2. Yes, but the compass is mainly there for WM7 compatibility so until a WM7 upgrade comes, most apps won't be able to access the compass.

Hm, don't know which one I'd prefer =)

I don't think they'd just put a simple compass app on the device and NOT release a SDK just to get people excited for WM7. So I'm pretty sure the compass will be used in some way, either on preinstalled apps or via SDK.
26th October 2009, 02:23 PM   |  #8  
Flag London ==> Jeddah

121 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersh

i think that the compass will be used by some programs like igo and yes, google map, but not much more.

I, for one being a Muslim, would want an application telling directions to Mecca for prayer purposes... This "would" be definitely a big plus for Muslim HD2 adopters. I know some people have similar app on iPhone, but it takes direction from internet and as a result is highly inaccurate ...
1st December 2009, 11:04 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
now thatleo's arrived, anyone know of a rotatey map program?
2nd December 2009, 12:06 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,130 posts
Wooohoo, some new development.

An API has been developed by MilaCzeque. Check here!!

Next step is for some developer to somehow let Google Maps and our favourite navigation software use the API.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread