Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 45,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HOW-TO: Get official Google ION Android 1.6 into HTC Magic 32B

Tip us?

BrunoRafael
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cheers jackmagic, feel more confident now i know i had the right idea and someone with same phone has gone through successfully, will wait and see if dferreia has anything else to add first but think i will give it a go

JackMagic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
No probs And yeah I'd wait for his comments, but I think you should be fine!

htcmagic
Old
(Last edited by htcmagic; 9th November 2009 at 07:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
dferreira : thanks for the advice for apn settings. GPRS is wroking for nrowsing the internet but sending mms with a pic attached does not work. Stays on sending.
I chose the settings-wireless controls-mobile networks- access point names-the mms apn
but it didnd send the message.
For gprs i chose the gprs one and it worked.
adb Logcat:
V/MmsSmsProvider( 146): getThreadId THREAD_QUERY: SELECT _id FROM threads WHERE recipient_ids = ?
V/MmsSmsProvider( 146): getThreadId cursor count: 1
V/Telephony(12682): getOrCreateThreadId cursor cnt: 1
D/NetworkLocationProvider( 76): onDataConnectionStateChanged 3
I/HTCIMEService(10864): onReceive - android.intent.action.ANY_DATA_STATE
D/MobileDataStateTracker( 76): CONNECTED event did not supply interface name.
D/MobileDataStateTracker( 76): DNS server addresses are not known.
D/GpsLocationProvider( 76): state: CONNECTED apnName: mms reason:
D/GpsLocationProvider( 76): state: DISCONNECTED apnName: null reason: dataDisabled
----------------------------------
Phone :HTC Magic Vodafone UK , Google Nexus One
HBOOT-1.33.2004 (SAPP10000) CPLD-10
Sapphire PVT 32B SHIP S-OFF G
RADIO-2.22.19.26I
ROM :RAv1.6.2 - DONUT
Recovery :RA-sapphire-v1.5.2G

dferreira
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoRafael View Post
1. start phone in fastboot, boot recovery.img then partition SD card
You won't be able to fastboot boot recovery.img with a S-ON SPL, that's why we put an Eng. SPL, so that you can access your phone from fastboot. First thing you should do is to follow Amon_RA instructions on how to get the 2004 Eng. SPL to your phone. You can use Relentless Router to do that (I think it's a sticky on the Dev. Forum
Quote:
2. do a nandroid backup of original setup (or does this require engineering spl first?)
Yes, you should do a nandroid backup of your current running system, even before applying the Eng. SPL, so that in case you need to, you can go back to the original state (except the original SPL...).
Quote:
3. with copies of recovery, spl and update on root of SD card, fastboot, boot recovery.img then apply the splupdate.zip, when finished press green and reboot as described on spl thread.
Now at this point will the phone start as normal with new spl on original rom or do i straight away flash ion rom update.zip?
You can see if the SPL is working properly before applying the update for the OS.
Quote:
4. repeat step 3 but apply update.zip, is a wipe required first? and again will this finish with green press then reboot?
Yes, you should wipe before applying any update.zip. If I'm not mistaken, the recovery from Amon_RA now requires you to hit Home instead of green
Quote:
Also i have found an original HBOOT-1.33.0004, along with nandroid backup will i be able to get back to stock then if i need to send for repairs under warranty?

Sorry for all the questions and Thanks in advance
Yes, you should be able to restore the nandroid backup and go back to stock. Remember that nandroid doesn't backup the carrier splash screen. Unless you create a new splash screen that looks like the original (I don't remember anymore what it looked like ), you should be fine.
Dropbox | Homepage | Twitter
How-to: Install Google ION Android 1.6 ROM | Compile AOSP for Sapphire | Nexus One
Google Marketplace: Overcharged | Calendar Awareness | CallerName
Donations: You can offer me a beer if you wish

dferreira
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by htcmagic View Post
dferreira : thanks for the advice for apn settings. GPRS is wroking for nrowsing the internet but sending mms with a pic attached does not work. Stays on sending.
I chose the settings-wireless controls-mobile networks- access point names-the mms apn
but it didnd send the message.
For gprs i chose the gprs one and it worked.
adb Logcat:
V/MmsSmsProvider( 146): getThreadId THREAD_QUERY: SELECT _id FROM threads WHERE recipient_ids = ?
V/MmsSmsProvider( 146): getThreadId cursor count: 1
V/Telephony(12682): getOrCreateThreadId cursor cnt: 1
D/MobileDataStateTracker( 76): CONNECTED event did not supply interface name.
D/MobileDataStateTracker( 76): DNS server addresses are not known.
D/GpsLocationProvider( 76): state: CONNECTED apnName: mms reason:
D/GpsLocationProvider( 76): state: DISCONNECTED apnName: null reason: dataDisabled
DNS server addresses are not known... apparently the mms server is not correct :/
How-to: Install Google ION Android 1.6 ROM | Compile AOSP for Sapphire | Nexus One

JackMagic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Been having a play about with installing Loccy's BetterBrowser to the ION ROM and had some success

Requires root access - see FAQ in first post.

This is what I did. NB: You can either do this in fastboot and boot into your recovery image, or whilst the OS is booted but make sure you have USB Debugging enabled (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)

1. Use adb to pull your stock browser files (Browser.apk and Browser.opex) from the ION ROM (for a backup, incase you want to revert back).

Code:
adb pull /system/app/Browser.* C:\[file path to where you want to pull it to]
2. Mount your system and use shell to remove the stock browser files from /app directory.

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# rm Browser.apk
# rm Browser.odex
3. Push your new Browser.apk (rename Loccy's .apk to this) to you /app directory.

Code:
adb push C:\[file path to Loccy's .apk here] /system/app
4. Reboot your phone (if in recovery, use the menu. if booted into OS, use shell and reboot).

Code:
adb shell
# reboot
The functionality is good. Double tap to zoom in/cycle through zoom(s) works and so does tripple tap to zoom out. Multi touch doesn't work as this is an official ROM (the browser in 2.0 will support it and as we have ION will all be getting that first ). Hiding the notification bar works too.

dferreira
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMagic View Post
Been having a play about with installing Loccy's BetterBrowser to the ION ROM and had some success

Requires root access - see FAQ in first post.

This is what I did. NB: You can either do this in fastboot and boot into your recovery image, or whilst the OS is booted but make sure you have USB Debugging enabled (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)

1. Use adb to pull your stock browser files (Browser.apk and Browser.opex) from the ION ROM (for a backup, incase you want to revert back).

Code:
adb pull /system/app/Browser.* C:\[file path to where you want to pull it to]
2. Mount your system and use shell to remove the stock browser files from /app directory.

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# rm Browser.apk
# rm Browser.odex
3. Push your new Browser.apk (rename Loccy's .apk to this) to you /app directory.

Code:
adb push C:\[file path to Loccy's .apk here] /system/app
4. Reboot your phone (if in recovery, use the menu. if booted into OS, use shell and reboot).

Code:
adb shell
# reboot
The functionality is good. Double tap to zoom in/cycle through zoom(s) works and so does tripple tap to zoom out. Multi touch doesn't work as this is an official ROM (the browser in 2.0 will support it and as we have ION will all be getting that first ). Hiding the notification bar works too.
Added to first post

brokenworm
Old
Thanks Meter 132
i have bricked my magic 32A .....

3 - Install Engineering SPL 2004 from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529019 - this will allow you flash Google ION ROM directly with Amon_RA's recovery tool, which makes your HTC Magic 32B from now on a Google ION device!

as my device were a 32A it resulted in no recovery menu .... no fastboot ...
no nothing but charging funktion works...
no usb device when i put it in
is it possible to UNBRICK my fone again or do i have to go to the store "warrenty" ?

fathabit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
does it have full exchange sync? (email, calendar and contacts)
The HTC exchange sync is limited, Touchdown is better and far more feature rich.

Anybody that's having problems with this update sticking on the android screen, make sure you have wiped/factory reset before applying update.zip and make sure your using the recovery rom, not the system rom.

Thanks for the props dferreira!
Samsung G2 VillainROM 1.4 - Orange de-branded
PDA: I9100XXF2
PHONE: I9100XXKF2
CSC: I9100XEUKD1

HTC Hero - Villain ROM 12 - SOLD

http://soundcloud.com/fathabit
http://www.fathabit.com
Purveyor of Drum'n'Bass

dferreira
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenworm View Post
i have bricked my magic 32A .....

3 - Install Engineering SPL 2004 from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529019 - this will allow you flash Google ION ROM directly with Amon_RA's recovery tool, which makes your HTC Magic 32B from now on a Google ION device!

as my device were a 32A it resulted in no recovery menu .... no fastboot ...
no nothing but charging funktion works...
no usb device when i put it in
is it possible to UNBRICK my fone again or do i have to go to the store "warrenty" ?

... I'm not held responsible for any damage from not reading "32B"... Warranty should replace it, since it doesn't even boot. You can say that you left the phone recharging and then when you tried to turn it on, it doesn't.

Good luck.