Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,893 Members 51,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Need] How to change the faceplate of the Magic?

Tip us?

Lorennz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Need] How to change the faceplate of the Magic?

I am so interested to know if someone has guides or videos guidance to change faceplates on the Magic/MyTouch3G.

My girl friend has a black phone and I ordered her a new white housing for the phone from eBay. I received everything including tools but there was no any instructions. I gave a try from what I can see but it was not successful. I even searched on net but no luck yet.

Any comments will be really appreciated.
1. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a White - CM 6.1.3 V06
2. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a Black - CM 6.1.3 V07

looktall
Old
(Last edited by looktall; 29th October 2009 at 07:52 AM.) Reason: removed wrong url
Thanks Meter 13
here's the magic service manual.
it details how to pull apart the phone into it's individual parts (colour pics included)...

http://phandroid.com/htc-magic-manual.pdf

you may or may not need to totally pull it apart just to change the faceplate (i don't know), but it'll still give you a good idea of how it all goes together.

Lorennz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
it details how to pull apart the phone into it's individual parts (colour pics included)...

you may or may not need to totally pull it apart just to change the faceplate (i don't know), but it'll still give you a good idea of how it all goes together.
Thanks for information bro.

Actually, I need to give a try and figure out if I could just pull the faceplate along without totally pulling it apart. It will be so painful as I wont even realize if something goes wrong. Damn wish I had some videos on this.

donepate
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The mytouch is easy to break down but it would have to be totaly taken apart to change out the plastic housing.
Wing (tossed due to winmo sux) - G1 (my first love) - MyTouch (ole reliable) - MyTouch Slide (I love this one) I GOT ROOT! - Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate (Still stock)
I am an android addict.

If god favors the foolish, i would be rich, successfull, and good looking by now. so much for that theory.
-=CMC=-

jethro1138
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post

Oh that's awesome. I wasn't even LOOKING for this but it's awesome.

dskid807
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just one problem with that manual, it's for a prototype version of the sapphire which has the hero style buttons on the bottom instead of the Magic ones. Now, I'm not sure if this is the only difference but just bear that in mind.
HTC One X International

donepate
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have fully disassembled 3 MyTouch phones. Easiest smart phone to break down so far. Just don't drink any cafiene before hand. not diffucult in any way. just needs a steady hand. HOWEVER! If you have never done this kind of thing before you will likely screw something up. I have been tearing electronics down and repairing them for twenty years. The ribbon type cables can be torn VERY easily, one slip with a screw driver can tear into a board and destroy it beyond repair, too much stress removing a fragile screen can break it. The learning procces on this type of stuff is an expensive one. Go VERY slow and be VERY patient.
Wing (tossed due to winmo sux) - G1 (my first love) - MyTouch (ole reliable) - MyTouch Slide (I love this one) I GOT ROOT! - Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate (Still stock)
I am an android addict.

If god favors the foolish, i would be rich, successfull, and good looking by now. so much for that theory.
-=CMC=-

james_d
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Very tempted to replace housing on mine, currently have grubby white Voda one and would like black/red HTC one on ebay. However, as poster said before I have little experience in doing this and nervous to do so. Not sure if I am brave enough!

Dr.Preston
Old
(Last edited by Dr.Preston; 17th November 2009 at 07:44 PM.) Reason: Added link.
Thanks Meter 0
Can anyone confirm whether or not this housing fits the Mytouch 3G?
It looks like it does. (You can usually tell by the camera hole on the back plate, it's higher on MT3G's) but I'm not sure.
Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-OEM-HTC-MA...item27abf417a4

Lorennz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Preston View Post
Can anyone confirm whether or not this housing fits the Mytouch 3G?
It looks like it does. (You can usually tell by the camera hole on the back plate, it's higher on MT3G's) but I'm not sure.
Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-OEM-HTC-MA...item27abf417a4
I bought the same in white color says with Google in back cover, and it worked perfectly with my Rogers Magic. I think Magic, MyTouch3G all come under G2.