Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[USB-Tethering] Wired Tether for Root Users

Tip us?

harry_m
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Lightbulb [USB-Tethering] Wired Tether for Root Users

Hi!

I've put an app together (99% based on "Wireless Tether for Root Users") which allows tethering via USB. Clients need to support RNDIS - works fine with Microsoft Windows (tested with XP and 7) and Linux (OpenSuSE 11.1).

Zinx Verituse has ported the essential parts of the hero-kernel and cyanogen has introduced this feature in his latest rom. So, thanks Zinx for the patches and cyanogen for publishing on github.

Patches can be found here:
http://github.com/cyanogen/cm-kernel...0ec9b39a819112
http://github.com/cyanogen/cm-kernel...2f3485a6652483

I've decided to create this app to give all rom-cooks the ability to use this feature without modifying system-services and/or system-apks.

What a cook needs to do: Patch your kernel and recompile - all other stuff is done by the app.

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/

Features:
* Tethering makes use of the mobile-data-connection (HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS) or WiFi-connection
* Uses correct domainname-servers - provided by your carrier or which are configured on the wifi-access-point you connect (even if the network changes => switch from 3g to wifi and vice versa)
* Allows to change the local-network (network/subnetmask)

Supported ROMs:
* CyanogenMod 4.2.3.1+
* Android Dev Phone 1
=> my kernel-update needs to be applied: http://code.google.com/p/android-wir.../list?q=Kernel
* ?

Have fun!

Harry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harry_m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scheich
Old
Thanks Meter 2
THX a lot for this app

sudo dhclient usb0 and there you go

jashsu
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Good work.

IronCross1788
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Alot of the hero roms were finally able to get wireless tethering for root working on, well, hero roms. i installed, but cant get it working. What patch should i use, im using Sense Hero1.3.3
HTC Amaze 4G Rooted & Unlocked EnergyRom 4.0.3
Motorola Razr Maxx 6.16.211
iPhone 4 White 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Sony Ericsson Verizon Xperia Play (Retired)
HTC G1 Rooted & Unlocked (Retired)
HTC EVO Rooted w/Sprint Lovers (Retired)
iPhone 3GS 32GB White (Retired)
HTC HD2 (Retired)
Samsung Vibrant (Retired)

kmartburrito
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Hi Harry,

I'm visiting from the CDMA Hero forum, in the hopes that you might have some pointers on how to get this to work on the rooted CDMA Hero?

When I looked at this project over at code.google.com, it seems like this requires 1.6, where the CDMA hero is running 1.5. Will this fact doom us to ever run wired tether at this point?

From what I can tell on my Hero, everything seems to run fine until after I allow root access for the app. It then gives me a FC when accessing the system settings (as it's the one referenced in the FC.)

Can I apply your kernel safely to my ROM? Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sprint GS3 - Rooted
Nexus 7 Flo 32

LITE Version:Full Version:

^^^Check out my first two of many Android apps, Decide 4 Me - LITE and Decide 4 Me in the market today, and please give me some good stars and comments if you like them!

Bzerk1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
doesnt seem to work with macs

evilkorn
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartburrito View Post
Hi Harry,

I'm visiting from the CDMA Hero forum, in the hopes that you might have some pointers on how to get this to work on the rooted CDMA Hero?

When I looked at this project over at code.google.com, it seems like this requires 1.6, where the CDMA hero is running 1.5. Will this fact doom us to ever run wired tether at this point?

From what I can tell on my Hero, everything seems to run fine until after I allow root access for the app. It then gives me a FC when accessing the system settings (as it's the one referenced in the FC.)

Can I apply your kernel safely to my ROM? Thanks in advance for your help!!
Did you try http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=443025?

jashsu
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I've been using the wired tether for the past week and have experienced some issues. Mainly, if the tether app isn't in the foreground, the process seems to randomly get restarted. This manifests as brief hiccups in internet access for the connected computer. Didn't experience this problem using WT4R (in bluetooth mode).

HW: Dream
App: wired-tether-1.0.apk
Kernel: adp 1.6 usbtether-r3

If I remember to, i'll post a log later tonight.

Proxin
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Could you please explain (or put in the first post) why use this while the current tether in Network Settings (CM4.2.x) works just fine?

harry_m
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxin View Post
Could you please explain (or put in the first post) why use this while the current tether in Network Settings (CM4.2.x) works just fine?
If usb-tethering with cyanogenmod is working fine for you there is no reason why you should use this app. I've implemented just a few enhancements (using the correct domainname-servers, changing lan-config) - I don't know how cyanogen is doing this stuff (I don't use it).

The main-idea of this app was to bring usb-tethering to other roms (where system-settings can't be modified or roms which a pretty close to stock roms and heavily modified parts are not welcome). All you need for this is a modified kernel which can be easily done.