5,597,261 Members 40,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Changing fonts in Android?

Tip us?
 
kurtis.austin2
Old
(Last edited by kurtis.austin2; 8th November 2009 at 05:18 AM.)
#1  
kurtis.austin2's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 164
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default [SOLVED] Changing fonts in Android?

Not sure of this is the right thread, but here it goes...

There is a font that is packed in with the Market that I am able to use in ChompSMS. It found it when I did a scan for font packs. It came up as 'Market' under the package, and the font name is Storopia.

I was wondering if there is a way to get this font to use for other purposes? And I was also wondering if there is a way to change the font myself in a custom ROM I have installed on my G1.

Would appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks!

this is a screenshot of the font working in ChompSMS thanks to the apps ability to use font packs. Again, ChompSMS found this font in the Market folder somewhere. I want to use it throughout my phone but do not know how to find this font to extract it to where I need to put it.

The font is called Storopia. I guess I should also add that it is the font used for the big words in the Android Market at the top of the screen. For instance, when you first open the Android Market, up top next to the shopping bag, where it says android market, market is done in the Storopia font. Same for apps, games, and downloads when you click on those tabs.

Can someone please help me find this font??

 
xidominicanoix
Old
#2  
xidominicanoix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 1,077
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.austin2 View Post
Not sure of this is the right thread, but here it goes...

There is a font that is packed in with the Market that I am able to use in ChompSMS. It found it when I did a scan for font packs. It came up as 'Market' under the package, and the font name is Storopia.

I was wondering if there is a way to get this font to use for other purposes? And I was also wondering if there is a way to change the font myself in a custom ROM I have installed on my G1.

Would appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks!
i know that fonts go in /system/fonts/ .. i have a whole folder of fonts in /sdcard/fonts/ and switch them up via recovery terminal whenever i feel like


ROM: bruce2728's CM10 KANG

Google Nexus One
ROM: CM7


Programs by JDuverge (aka ME)
Find and Pull™
Ultimate Extractor
 
kurtis.austin2
Old
#3  
kurtis.austin2's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 164
Join Date: Aug 2009
awesome, thanks for that! now, how do you switch them up using recovery terminal? and do you know how i could get the Storopia font from the Market app?
 
xidominicanoix
Old
#4  
xidominicanoix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 1,077
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.austin2 View Post
awesome, thanks for that! now, how do you switch them up using recovery terminal? and do you know how i could get the Storopia font from the Market app?
well the way i do it is that inside /sdcard/fonts/ i have the fonts in separate subfolders

then in recovery console i do:
Code:
mount sdcard
mount system
cp /sdcard/fonts/NAME_OF_FONT/* /system/fonts/
umount sdcard
umount system
reboot
i also have the original fonts in a folder in case i ever want to revert .. you can do this is in a regular terminal
Code:
cd /sdcard/fonts
mkdir orig
cp /system/fonts/* /sdcard/fonts/orig/
and then to revert the font to orig in recovery terminal you just use the code above with 'orig' in place of 'NAME_OF_FONT'


ROM: bruce2728's CM10 KANG

Google Nexus One
ROM: CM7


Programs by JDuverge (aka ME)
Find and Pull™
Ultimate Extractor
AdrianK Old
#5  
Guest
Thanks Meter
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.austin2 View Post
awesome, thanks for that! now, how do you switch them up using recovery terminal? and do you know how i could get the Storopia font from the Market app?
In recovery:

mount /sdcard
cp /sdcard/fonts/nameoffont/* /system/font

As for pulling a font from an apk you downloaded from the market, could be tricky. Also there are six different True Type fonts in /system/fonts which might not match what's in the font pack anyway...
 
kurtis.austin2
Old
#6  
kurtis.austin2's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 164
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thank you so much you guys! I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it. Thanks for the tip also about having the fonts in multiple folders of the font file. I didn't think about that.

Thank you! You can close/delete this thread if need be!
 
xidominicanoix
Old
#7  
xidominicanoix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 1,077
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.austin2 View Post
Thank you so much you guys! I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it. Thanks for the tip also about having the fonts in multiple folders of the font file. I didn't think about that.

Thank you! You can close/delete this thread if need be!
append "[SOLVED]" to the title of the thread so mods can do so


ROM: bruce2728's CM10 KANG

Google Nexus One
ROM: CM7


Programs by JDuverge (aka ME)
Find and Pull™
Ultimate Extractor
 
mr.bobharris
Old
#8  
mr.bobharris's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xidominicanoix View Post
Awesome stuff...
very helpful post man, many thanks.
 
Uzerk
Old
(Last edited by Uzerk; 17th December 2009 at 11:40 AM.)
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis.austin2 View Post
I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it.

Would you like to share that font with the class, or at least the name of the font?
Because I have been looking for that font for a few days now, and it's driving me nuts that I can't find it.. ^^


The font that i'm talking about is this one.


also seen on http://www.android.com



Realy like that font, but it seems that I can't find it >.<
 
str3l0k
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default How to create custom font packs

Hi,
Does anyone know how can i create a font pack?
I want to package some fonts to use from chompsms,
any idea how do i package fonts, and make them available to chompsms?
I don't have a root access and can't just put fonts in /system/fonts.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...