No registration required

How to Root Non-Sprint (Cellular South, Bluegrass Cellular, etc) CDMA Hero

OP markachee

11th September 2010, 06:24 AM   |  #521  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangani001

what have you done so far? I'm kind of new to this but i will try to point you in the right direction..

Ive got it rooted now but have u had any trouble with the super user app
14th September 2010, 11:22 PM   |  #522  
Thanks Meter: 13

88 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dam8020006

Ive got it rooted now but have u had any trouble with the super user app

dont think it really does anything......
Go to the market and download the "ROM" manager "free version". Install it.... when asked if you want to allow superuser permission.... chose "allow"...once you have the ROM manager installed.....open up the superuser app.... you should see "ROM Manager" with a green light beside it.... This indicates that the app...rom manager has superuser access...any app that gets super user acces will show up on this screen...... hope this helps..

let me know if you want some help flashing new roms using rom manager....

********** DISCLAIMER********* I Really don't know what the hell I'm Talking about....... It's trial and Error for me..... anything i post is a SUGGESTION........
DO a NANDROID BACK UP......AGAIN......AGAIN......and AGAIN.....
Last edited by Mangani001; 15th September 2010 at 12:28 AM.
20th September 2010, 03:22 AM   |  #523  
Thanks Meter: 14

96 posts
More
im wanting to root this Centennial (now at&t) CDMA.. is it possible?

specs:

Model: HTC Hero
Firmware Version: 1.5
Baseband 1.05.02.01.28
Kernel: 2.6.27-6bc66721
htc-kernel@and18-2 #958
Build: 1.6.556.1 CL 122292 release-keys
Software: 1.63.556.1

just want to make sure im using the right procedure for my phone.

thanks!
23rd September 2010, 09:07 PM   |  #524  

2 posts
Getting Error tryng to do a nandroid backup
I'm getting an error tryng to do a nandroid backup.

Im getting

Error : Run 'nanadroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

What am I doing wrong?
23rd September 2010, 09:23 PM   |  #525  
Thanks Meter: 5

35 posts
That happened to me when I was low on SD card space.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App
23rd September 2010, 09:28 PM   |  #526  

2 posts
Ok that makes sense. I'll clear up some space and give it another try. Thanks for the reply!

Up Date:
Ok that did the trick! Thanks
Last edited by TheNorseman; 23rd September 2010 at 09:49 PM.
23rd September 2010, 11:39 PM   |  #527  

34 posts
so does this method work for the Cellsouth hero or what? title says yes but first page is filled with issues apparently
29th September 2010, 01:14 AM   |  #528  
Flag Biloxi, MS
Thanks Meter: 13

192 posts
More
Before trying this i would recommend that you try using z4root first. z4 will root most devices.

**NOTE** When i wrote this i did it for the assistance of cellular south customers that were concerned that all of the rooting methods erroneously appear to be sprint specific. This, however, should work with all hero's.

**NOTE** recently it was brought to my attention that the Androot program will not work with the most recent update from sprint. if you find this to be the case with your hero, try Regaw's rooter here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=909258

**NOTE** If AndRoot does not work for you try Regaw's rooter here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=909258

Need to root a cellular south hero? this should also work on most all carriers. (I am a cellular south hero user, this is the method that i used and it worked just fine.)

before we begin you need to change some settings on the phone. go to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS check the box that says 'Unknown Sources'
then go to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> DEVELOPMENT and check 'USB Debugging'
you will also need to have HTC Sync installed (you may want to consider downloading the android SDK so that you have tools like ADB (android device bridge) which allows you to execute shell commands on the phone and push and pull data from a command line. for the purposes of this tutorial it is not necessary to have the sdk.)

you need to download Universal AndRoot. you can either download it to your computer and copy it to your phone or download it directly to your phone. the PC download link is here

if you want to download directly to your phone open your barcode scanner and point it at the following QR Code.

you also need a file manager such as ASTRO, this is available from the android market on your phone. once you have ASTRO on your phone, browse the SDCARD for the Universal AndRoot file that you downloaded. once you find it tap on it and choose Application Manager, and select install.

run AndRoot select Root and let it do its thing.

if you just wanted Root access to run programs that require root stop here, you are now rooted.

/------- End of Rooting Guide-------/

if you want to install a custom rom on your hero continue.

/---- Start of custom rom guide ----/

1st make sure that you have at least 500 MB free on your sdcard. it is a good idea to have a fully charged battery but not necessary, just make sure that you have at least 30% battery charged before you try using nandroid.

at any point after this you may be asked to allow superuser permissions to different programs that we are using. make sure that you grant them.

Ok next you need a custom recovery image. there are two that i know of. Clockworkmod and Amon, for this tutorial i am using ClockworkMod. if you want to use Amon stop here and search xda for further help on that, i have not used Amon.

if, like me, you really had no preference which one you use. continue.

go back to the Android Market and download ROM Manager by Clockworkmod. this will also install ClockworkMod Recovery Image. allow it to do its thing.

now find what ROM you wish to run (ie: DangerRom, Cynogenmod, Fresh, Zen... etc...) download it to your computer and copy it to your SDCARD.

next boot the phone in recovery mode. to do this turn the phone off. press and hold Home and Power until you get to the Clockworkmod recovery screen.

using the trackball to scroll and select move down to Nandroid. and create a backup of your phone. (note: make sure that you have at least 30% battery before starting nandroid backup or restore.)

once the backup is complete the Green text menu will appear at the top. use the back button on your phone to go back.

now 'Wipe data/factory reset' and confirm.
also clear the dalvik cache on your phone.

now choose 'Install zip from sdcard' then 'choose zip from sdcard' locate the ROM you want to install and select it. confirm your selections.

wait for green menu to appear again select 'reboot system now' if this isn't an option use the back button and then choose it.

this first boot will be a very very long one (can be up to 10 min). be very patient.

if the phone goes into a 'bootloop' don't panic
(this is described as the phone showing the HTC logo then the ROM logo then repeats over and over again. please note that it is normal on some roms for the HTC logo to come back once just before the getting started app loads)

to fix a bootloop pull the battery from the phone to stop the process then boot in to recovery (home and power) and Wipe the data and the Dalvik cache. then reboot.

if you are still stuck in a bootloop go back to recovery and choose nandroid -> restore and restore to your previous rom.

I hope that this helps everyone that is looking to root and/or install custom rom on their Cellular South Hero.

NOTE: there is a lot of talk about radio versions and upgrading. if you decide to do this you, are on your own. flashing a bad radio is the only known way to completely brick your phone. only flash a new radio if you are absolutely 100% sure that it will work with your phone and have checked the MD5 checksum.
Last edited by ngholson; 9th August 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: updates
The Following User Says Thank You to ngholson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd October 2010, 10:17 PM   |  #529  

1 posts
Worked Perfectly on Cellular South Hero 200
I just wanted to thank the one who gave these instructions and .rar file so I could root my Hero. It worked perfectly.

This was my first time to try rooting a phone. I had heard of it but didn't really know what it meant. I upgraded to 2.1 using instructions on the CS website. Then I downloaded the SDK app and HTC Sync I then backed up my sd card and wiped it clean. I ran into trouble after downloading .rar file. Realized I needed winrar free trial download from download.com. So I unzipped the .rar file and made sure the runindos.bat file as well as the rest of the files in that same folder were in the tools folder with the adb file (in the tools folder of the SDK files I downloaded from the android site). I doubleclicked the runindos.bat file, it restarted my hero, I backedup the rom, then I went back and ran the su.zip file that had been put on my blank sd card. (run .zip from sdcard). It restarted normally.

Thanks again.
Last edited by behubb; 3rd October 2010 at 10:30 PM.
8th October 2010, 05:59 AM   |  #530  
OP Senior Member
Hburg
Thanks Meter: 1

146 posts
Sorry for being out of the picture for a while. I've updated the first post with a link to ngholson's guide for using the app to root. I also made it obvious that at least that part of the first post is up to date, and gave a note about the majority of this thread being really old.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread