Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

Misnamed apps? Wrong versions? Fix here

9th November 2009, 05:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78

1,098 posts
Taking some advice I saw on the BAW forum one step further, I deleted the entire /data/boot-cache directory (after doing a nandroid backup of course).

Took about 3-4 extra minutes to boot up, presumably to recreate the contents of the directory, but now all of my apps are showing the correct version, correct icon, and correct name. Haven't run into any issues yet.
9th November 2009, 05:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

35 posts
I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.
9th November 2009, 05:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,098 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilroykilroy

I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.

Hey there you are! Hah.

I did have a lot of bad apps and had some trouble finding the proper directories for a few. I had just done a backup so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also figured this was the perfect place to suggest it for people to try - around here people are smart enough to do real backups before they start deleting things
9th November 2009, 05:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag Southfield, MI
Thanks Meter: 7

257 posts
Donate to Me
More
Is this with just rooting the phone or after you install the custom rom?
9th November 2009, 05:46 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

1,098 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14238

I haven't touched the custom ROM yet. You do need to root the phone to do this, and it must be done from a shell.
9th November 2009, 05:47 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14238

Just rooting the phone.
9th November 2009, 07:02 PM   |  #7  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 55

1,019 posts
More
So this fixes the issue of my chompSMS thinking its name is "com.p1.chomps..."??
9th November 2009, 07:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,098 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito

So this fixes the issue of my chompSMS thinking its name is "com.p1.chomps..."??

It should, yes. I had a bunch of apps misnamed in that way (EasyMoney, Spades, a few others) and it fixed them.

One of them, Buka Lite, reverted back, though.
9th November 2009, 07:09 PM   |  #9  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 385

990 posts
More
I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.
9th November 2009, 07:18 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,098 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercado79

I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.

I think there's just a bug with the way the phone handles the cache. Did the versions go back to what they were before you deleted the cache, or what they were after you deleted the cache and before you updated the apps?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread