XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Misnamed apps? Wrong versions? Fix here

Tip us?

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default Misnamed apps? Wrong versions? Fix here

Taking some advice I saw on the BAW forum one step further, I deleted the entire /data/boot-cache directory (after doing a nandroid backup of course).

Took about 3-4 extra minutes to boot up, presumably to recreate the contents of the directory, but now all of my apps are showing the correct version, correct icon, and correct name. Haven't run into any issues yet.

gilroykilroy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.
Hey there you are! Hah.

I did have a lot of bad apps and had some trouble finding the proper directories for a few. I had just done a backup so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also figured this was the perfect place to suggest it for people to try - around here people are smart enough to do real backups before they start deleting things

goku14238
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Is this with just rooting the phone or after you install the custom rom?
Previous Phone: HTC Evo 4g
Current Phone: Galaxy Note 2 - Rooted
Current Rom - Stock

Who needs an app to make fart noises. There's an ass for that.

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14238 View Post
I haven't touched the custom ROM yet. You do need to root the phone to do this, and it must be done from a shell.

gilroykilroy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14238 View Post
Just rooting the phone.

Negrito
Old
Thanks Meter 55
So this fixes the issue of my chompSMS thinking its name is "com.p1.chomps..."??

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
So this fixes the issue of my chompSMS thinking its name is "com.p1.chomps..."??
It should, yes. I had a bunch of apps misnamed in that way (EasyMoney, Spades, a few others) and it fixed them.

One of them, Buka Lite, reverted back, though.

mercado79
Old
Thanks Meter 376
I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.
Moto X
Stable ROM: Eclipse 3.2.1 via Safestrap (Kit Kat 4.4.2)

Google Nexus 7 FHD
Stable ROM: Rastakat
Alt ROM: Stock Rooted

jonnythan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercado79 View Post
I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.
I think there's just a bug with the way the phone handles the cache. Did the versions go back to what they were before you deleted the cache, or what they were after you deleted the cache and before you updated the apps?