FORUMS

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

Sunday Debate: Which Factors Caused HTC’s Woes?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on HTC’s situation. Come with your … more

[REQ] location-aware WiFi? App concept.

169 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Lukasss, Senior Member on 4th March 2010, 12:12 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi guys,

I had an idea for an app yesterday... I haven't had time to do a search, so maybe it already exists. If it does, please let me know.

The concept of this app is to have location-aware wifi. The app would connect to GPS at preconfigured intervals to check the location. If the location matches a preconfigured place (like home, work, starbucks, whatever), the app would turn on wifi and turn off the data connection.

During WiFi operation the GPS checks should cease. When you get out of wifi range and your cellphone shuts off wifi automatically (is already possible in WinMo), the scheduled GPS checks should resume.

The GPS checks need to happen on schedule similar to the schedule found in ActiveSync, also with peak times. So if you're at home at night the app knows it's not necessary to check location during that time.

The app could also have a function to store a new location as wifi-enabled place. So if you are visting an office or a new restaurant that has wifi, you could add it with just a few clicks.

What do you guys think? Any devs? Is that doable? Already done?

Regards,

Lukas

4th March 2010, 03:12 PM |#2  

More
+1 This sound s very interesting and would make WiFi use much easier

Thanks for this idea, hopefully someone can develop it

Regards,
Central
4th March 2010, 03:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Antwerp

More
Thnx, I hope a dev will share your opinion...
4th March 2010, 03:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasss

Hi guys,

I had an idea for an app yesterday... I haven't had time to do a search, so maybe it already exists. If it does, please let me know.

The concept of this app is to have location-aware wifi. The app would connect to GPS at preconfigured intervals to check the location. If the location matches a preconfigured place (like home, work, starbucks, whatever), the app would turn on wifi and turn off the data connection.

During WiFi operation the GPS checks should cease. When you get out of wifi range and your cellphone shuts off wifi automatically (is already possible in WinMo), the scheduled GPS checks should resume.

The GPS checks need to happen on schedule similar to the schedule found in ActiveSync, also with peak times. So if you're at home at night the app knows it's not necessary to check location during that time.

The app could also have a function to store a new location as wifi-enabled place. So if you are visting an office or a new restaurant that has wifi, you could add it with just a few clicks.

Regards,

Lukas

There are apps that are 'cell' aware, so it know where you are, based on the information of the your providers cell tower. So when you are at home, you can use that cell id to identify you are in your home region. So you don't even have to have GPS enabled (and assuming your phone is allways on).
One of the toos I have some experience in is Ageye.de 's G-Profile. With this tool you can also disable Wifi during time intervals (like over night).
Its commercial wiht trail version. Check it out.

Edit: Just found another tool using Cell ID, it's called Wifilocations and it's free.

Btw. I'm very interested in how WinMo disables Wifi automatically when you are out of your Wifi's range, as you describe above.
Last edited by webpatrick; 4th March 2010 at 03:59 PM.
4th March 2010, 04:53 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Antwerp

More
Quote:

I'm very interested in how WinMo disables Wifi automatically when you are out of your Wifi's range, as you describe above.

That's simple:

Start -> Settings -> Menu (right softkey) -> All Settings -> Connections -> WiFi -> Wireless Networks -> Menu (right softkey) -> Advanced

"Turn Off Wifi if not connected in x minutes"

I can't take screenshots at this time. You just need to open Wifi in Connections in windows mobile settings menu.

Let me know if you can't find it.

Grtz

Lukas
4th March 2010, 04:55 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Antwerp

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpatrick

One of the toos I have some experience in is Ageye.de 's G-Profile. With this tool you can also disable Wifi during time intervals (like over night).
Its commercial wiht trail version. Check it out.

Edit: Just found another tool using Cell ID, it's called Wifilocations and it's free.

Thnx for that btw. I'll check it out tonight at home.

Grtz

Lukas
4th March 2010, 05:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:

The concept of this app is to have location-aware wifi.

PhoneAlarm does what you want.
16th March 2010, 10:32 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:

That's simple:

Start -> Settings -> Menu (right softkey) -> All Settings -> Connections -> WiFi -> Wireless Networks -> Menu (right softkey) -> Advanced

"Turn Off Wifi if not connected in x minutes"

I can't take screenshots at this time. You just need to open Wifi in Connections in windows mobile settings menu.

Let me know if you can't find it.

Grtz

Lukas

Tnx, I was never aware of this feature
10th April 2015, 03:40 PM |#9  

More
Wi-Fi Alliance - Wi-Fi Aware program.
This may help. Wi-Fi Alliance announced a new p2p certification program that enables power-efficient discovery of nearby information and services before making a connection and therefore the discovery is made w/o infrastructure. Search for "Wi-Fi Aware". aware#sthash.lG3aT03e.dpuf[/url]

Quote:

Hi guys,

Regards,

Lukas

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread