[TUT] Flashing your first ROM? - A guide
UPDATE REGARDING FLASHING OF HARDSPL - Specifically the error message "we have detected that you appear to already have unlocked another device"
- contact with the creators of HSPL has been established.
- If you have EVER used HardSPL before (on any phone BUT the one you're trying to flash) you will need to request another "license"
- OliNex will provide up to 2 or 3 licenses, but more than that is deemed commercial and you will have to purchase them thereafter.
- If you are sure you have NEVER flashed HardSPL before, then please standby until I get more information from OliNex, regarding steps we can take to resolve any conflicts.
- more to come.
i mentioned to some people a while back that I could send them detailed instructions via PM, helping them install their first custom ROM (available from our many fine cooks and chefs here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
Now, quite a few have been pm'ing me since, asking for help, so i thought i'd make a public post for all those who are wanting to flash their phones, but are scared or uncertain of making that first step.
SO, in as simple a way as possible, here we go:
INSTALLING HARDSPL 1.83:
(note: YOU CAN NOT INSTALL HardSPL via SD Card!!!! YOU HAVE TO USE ACTIVESYNC via USB!)
- Make sure your phone is fully charged and your data backed up!!!
- Download HardSPL 1.83
from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=520312
- the page i linked does contain instructions, but i'll summarise:
1) connect your phone to your pc using ActiveSync (NOT the DiskDrive connection)
2) Make sure you have an active internet connection
3) run Topaz-HardSPL_V5_00R5.exe from your PC and follow the steps HardSPL prompts you with (incase your antivirus says something, trust me, there is no virus)
4) Press OK when asked to wait
5) everything will continue automatically (if an error pops up, STOP and mail me with your error)
6) you will see your phone jump to a tri coloured screen eventually. anything displayed on screen will be automated (again, any errors here...well let's hope you don't get any)
7) Your device will automatically reboot and you have HardSPL 1.83
Now, let's make sure it installed correctly!
- switch off your phone.
- hold down the Volume - button (minus/volume down) and press the power button. This will take you to the famous Bootloader
mode. Here you should see the word Olinex somewhere. If you do, YAY, softreset your phone (the little red button under the battery cover)
- if NOT: send me a message
!!!IMPORTANT!!! You only have to do the HardSPL installation ONCE
After completing the above, you can simply proceed with the following steps from now on.
OK! Now you have the means to install the ROM you want!
- Connect your phone via activesync -> open My Computer -> double click on your diamond 2 -> You will now see two folders. One is internal memory, the other is your storage card -> right click on your storage card -> properties -> look for the words FAT 32
-> If it says that, proceed with "Choose your ROM!!!" below.
If it DOESN'T say FAT 32, then do the following:
- close that window and right click on your storage card again. Now click format (REMEMBER TO BACKUP)
- select FAT 32 as your File System (NOT NTFS) and then click format
- once that is complete, you may proceed with the next steps below.
Choose your ROM!!!! (I am a Dutty fan, so that's the first one i'm going to recommend...however, the method of flashing stays the same)
Once you have downloaded your chosen ROM, make sure you have the following files: TOPAIMG.nbh and TopazRUUWrapper.exe
there are TWO ways of flashing: (again, please make sure your phone is fully charged)
- Copy the TOPAIMG.nbh file into the ROOT directory
of your storage card (NOT onto your phone). (Root directory means as soon as you double click on the storage card, THAT place, that's the root directory...some people call it base directory)
- switch off your phone and enter bootloader mode (read how to in the HardSPL section above)
- You will now come to a white screen with blue
- It should tell you that you can continue flashing by pressing the power button.
Once that is pressed, you sit back and wait till your phone is flashed!
watch this for help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbRboNeo2XE
(credit to wadialdoor)
ALTERNATIVE WAY OF FLASHING YOUR ROM WITH RUU.exe
- Turn off your device by using the Power Button
- Go to Boot loader mode. Push and hold Vol. Down and press the Power button.
- Connect your device to PC (with activesync, yes it works even if your phone is not "fully" on)
- Run the TopazRUUWrapper.exe and follow the screen instructions.
Whichever method you choose, once you get the message that everything was successful, open your battery cover and press the red reset button once. THEN, as soon as you have entered your pin code and your phone is on, switch it off :P
Now hold volume up (+) AND volume down (-) and press the power button. You are thereby doing a "Hard Reset".
Once that is done, CONGRATULATIONS! your new ROM is ready to go!!!
I hope this proves useful to some!