Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,820 Members 49,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Tilt2 custom ROM risks

Tip us?

mikroland
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default AT&T Tilt2 custom ROM risks

Investigating replacing ROM on my tilt2 with a custom 6.5.1 ROM and have several questions.

Question#1 What are the risks to performing this?

Question #2 How do I backup the entire phone so I can restore it like it was when I opened out of the box from AT&T? (even after a hard SPL)

Question #3 If I need to return the unit for any reason back to AT&T, would I be able to do this after flashing the ROM and performing hard SPL ? Or will they detect this has been done and deny me?

Thanks

rvashi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'll try to answer the best I can. Anyone please chime in...

A1) Primary risk is permanently messing up your phone if you don't perform the HardSPL correctly! Other than that, every other risk is minor when you're actually flashing the ROM becuase it seems to me like its close to impossible to brick your phone with HardSPL.

A2) There is no REAL way to backup your entire ROM like you can in Android (Nandroid backups). However, there's always the stock AT&T ROM that you can flash back and than use programs such as Microsoft MyPhone to backup and restore your personal data.

A3) You can Relock your phone using the relocker. This is available in one of the stickys...probably the one with the HardSPL.

Anymore questions, please ask!
Possible Future Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Current Device: HTC Thunderbolt & HTC Titan (Eternity)

Previous Device(s): iPhone 4 <-- HTC Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2) <-- HTC Hero (White) <-- T-Mobile MyTouch 3G (Unlocked) <-- iPhone 3GS <-- T-Mobile G1 (Unlocked) <-- iPhone 3G <-- iPhone <-- Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan) <-- Sprint PPC6700 (HTC Apache) <-- Sprint PPC6600 (HTC Wallaby)
---------------

glitzbd
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Default yeah

I think rvashi pretty much nailed it all, however if you ever do have to revert to stock make sure to read all the info! You'll need to revert to stock ROM and Radio. I've never done it on my Rhodium but on my Raphael it was quite easy... I assume its no different on Rhodium!
Just read the stickies and check out the wiki! I made sure I'd read through the procedure thoroughly prior to starting and had no issues! Of course I've been flashing ROMs starting with the Kaiser and not much has changed from that device procedure wise!
Other:
iPhone 4S

My HTC Devices:
Current
HTC Passion (Google Nexus One) - Nice screen!
Current ROM: eViL's NXSense v1.26 (My dad uses it now)

Former
B]Galaxy Tab 10.1[/B]
AOKP (Latest)

HTC Pyramid (HTC Sensation 4G) - Blazing fast, understatement
Last ROM: Virtuous Quattro (Latest)

HTC Flyer - HTC on the Big Screen!
Last ROM: FlyHoney ROM v0.2

HTC Ace (HTC Inspire 4G) - Left AT&T!

HTC Rhodium (AT&T Tilt 2)

HTC Raphael (AT&T FUZE)

HTC Kaiser (AT&T Tilt)

carhigh
Old
(Last edited by carhigh; 18th November 2009 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 59
Not all roms include radios. Ive never flashed a radio yet, on my kaiser or my tilt 2, but it sounds just as easy as loading the roms.
Here, i have a question to ask. Whats the difference between a rom that lists WWE and one that doesnt?

rvashi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhigh View Post
Whats the difference between a rom that lists WWE and one that doesnt?
WWE is short for 'World Wide English' as far as I know.
Possible Future Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Current Device: HTC Thunderbolt & HTC Titan (Eternity)

Previous Device(s): iPhone 4 <-- HTC Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2) <-- HTC Hero (White) <-- T-Mobile MyTouch 3G (Unlocked) <-- iPhone 3GS <-- T-Mobile G1 (Unlocked) <-- iPhone 3G <-- iPhone <-- Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan) <-- Sprint PPC6700 (HTC Apache) <-- Sprint PPC6600 (HTC Wallaby)
---------------

qinstaller
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhigh View Post
whats the difference between a rom that lists wwe and one that doesnt?

+1 .
SGH T989
Rom: Infamous Resurrection

Old Phone:
LG G2x
Rom: Weapon X 2.6
Theme: PoisoN GreeN v1.2

hchavarria
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinstaller View Post
+1 .
WWE means that the language of the phone will be english, if you install a ROM with something else like FRA then the phone will be in that language, in this case french.
Phone: HTC Evo 3D