FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Exe files on Android?

184 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
By 2Noob4U, Senior Member on 19th November 2009, 08:15 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This might be in another thread. I searched pretty extensively for an answer and can't find one. Is there an app or way to install exe files and run them on my Magic 32B? My phone is rooted and running Cyanogen's 4.2.5 I figured my phone does everything else, why shouldn't it be able to run exe files?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Noob4U For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
19th November 2009, 09:21 PM |#2  
2Noob4U's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Pueblo, CO
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Sorry for the bump. I can access the exe file on my memory card with Linda File manager, but I don't know what the open the file with??? Linda File Manager gives me the option to > Open With... Any ideas?
19th November 2009, 09:41 PM |#3  
shoemeistah's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands, The
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Android cannot open Windows based files.......
10th March 2011, 07:13 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
WEAK!
One thing I have learned from xda is that if theres a will theres a way! Comon guys there has gotta be a way!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arock169 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2011, 04:17 AM |#5  
tvall's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 807
 
More
Android is not windows..
In theory you could port qemu or something and run it in that. But that would be so slow a turtle would think of itself as fast if it saw it

Sent from my Gingerbread on Sapphire using XDA Premium App
11th March 2011, 02:43 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 168
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvall

Android is not windows..
In theory you could port qemu or something and run it in that. But that would be so slow a turtle would think of itself as fast if it saw it

Sent from my Gingerbread on Sapphire using XDA Premium App

Agreed. I want to say someone got Wine to install in Android but could never get it to work right.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DonJuan692006 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2011, 12:50 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 630
 
Donate to Me
More
The idea is sweet and innocent but is much more complex...
The "exe" files are binaries. The .exe extension is something windows has as a standard for postfix, and is not necessary for running binaries (linux does not use any postfix and therefor also Android).
So what is a binary?
It's a list of machine instructions which the intended cpu understands. Every cpu has it's own instruction set ( a language). You need to make sure that the list of instructions you are running can be understood by the cpu. Inside this list you will find special instructions which is called "system calls". They are not intended for the cpu but for the operation system which you are running on.
So to sum up;
1) to run windows binaries on Android you need to change to instruction set of the binary because the cpu you have is not the same as those running on the Android device. E.g. x86 cpu on computer vs. ARM cpu on mobile devices vs. PIC micro-controllers. So the binary does not speak the same language as the cpu.
2) You need to change the system calls because Windows and Android does not have the same system calls.

So as a final sum up, it's not easy to make those binaries to run on Android, specially those which has a instructions list bigger than 20-30 instructions... They are just to complex and sometimes not even possible!

The WINE project is shot of doing the exact problem. It will run the binaries and translate them on the fly for the operating system. It succeed most times and fail others. But it's a HUGE project and need a normal computer power for it to run. The devices we have right now, does not have the horse power to run such projects.

I hope the info shades some lights on the problem :0)

NB: i know some of the info is not 100% but it's REALLY simplified to give the general idea and complexity of the problem :0)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumilover For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2011, 11:51 PM |#8  
K3n H1mur4's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fortaleza
Thanks Meter: 112
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilover

The idea is sweet and innocent but is much more complex...
The "exe" files are binaries. The .exe extension is something windows has as a standard for postfix, and is not necessary for running binaries (linux does not use any postfix and therefor also Android).
So what is a binary?
It's a list of machine instructions which the intended cpu understands. Every cpu has it's own instruction set ( a language). You need to make sure that the list of instructions you are running can be understood by the cpu. Inside this list you will find special instructions which is called "system calls". They are not intended for the cpu but for the operation system which you are running on.
So to sum up;
1) to run windows binaries on Android you need to change to instruction set of the binary because the cpu you have is not the same as those running on the Android device. E.g. x86 cpu on computer vs. ARM cpu on mobile devices vs. PIC micro-controllers. So the binary does not speak the same language as the cpu.
2) You need to change the system calls because Windows and Android does not have the same system calls.

So as a final sum up, it's not easy to make those binaries to run on Android, specially those which has a instructions list bigger than 20-30 instructions... They are just to complex and sometimes not even possible!

The WINE project is shot of doing the exact problem. It will run the binaries and translate them on the fly for the operating system. It succeed most times and fail others. But it's a HUGE project and need a normal computer power for it to run. The devices we have right now, does not have the horse power to run such projects.

I hope the info shades some lights on the problem :0)

NB: i know some of the info is not 100% but it's REALLY simplified to give the general idea and complexity of the problem :0)

Just in addition, most programs aren't just based on the .exe file. DLLs and other files are needed for the program to run, attempting to port all this stuff to Android would most probably result in failing.
17th April 2011, 08:49 AM |#9  
Wing Nut's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3n H1mur4

Just in addition, most programs aren't just based on the .exe file. DLLs and other files are needed for the program to run, attempting to port all this stuff to Android would most probably result in failing.

I just hope Android is so popular that, like turning Windows into Linux using Wine (excuse the metaphor or whatever that was), someone might persist with this no doubt huge endeavour. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to never run a Windows app in Windows ever again, nor kowtow to Apple's interface demands even though I'd like something as responsive, integrated and occasionally useful as an iSomething.

Android was my future salvation till my employer handed over a handy Win App recently that I can't really avoid using - well I could, but I'd have to work that much harder - fat chance! So I'm stuck with a Samsung XP netbook and WM6.5 on my HTC Touch HD until someone somewhere, or lots of someones everywhere, do a Wine for Android
19th April 2011, 03:54 PM |#10  
cellsafemode's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 871
 
More
Seriously, you want to pretend in some reality somewhere that someone will first create an x86 emulator for an arm chip that barely likes to play xvid files then on top of that use wine to run a mobile windows app rather than just use something similar or pay someone to write you something similar that runs natively on android?

Which do you think is the non-insane option?
The Following User Says Thank You to cellsafemode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2011, 06:15 PM |#11  
psxpetey's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 117
 
More
you cant run it on android persay but you can download dosbox and run it that way sorry for the bump

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes