Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HIgh tech question ?

Tip us?

Ridingboot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default HIgh tech question ?

Hello see all the nice wonderful phones around the world and her in the US we are more or less locked out to a few by the fu.... Provider supplied models month later.
Locked around and saw there are 98% HTC Magic and Hero with UMTS 900/2100 mhz. Also a few with a UMTS 850/1900 for the ATT slaves. It is for me not realistic that HTS build a whole new model for each little US player.

I'm sure there is a quadband UMTS but do to FCC regulation and business restriction for the US market HTC jsut block those frequency.

This would be a more or less usefull patch to make those MOdels from the rest of the world also useable in the USA/Canada.

IS there someone who can confirm that HTC built just for this few US guys a total different hardware or my theories with the blocked Feature deep in the hardware.

Thanks

ZED_pt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
They dont have to build an entire phone to operate in diferent bands...so i guess its hardware related(just the modem i think) with proper software(radio protocol) to go with it.

If it was just software related or some kind of block in the hardware it would already been bypassed by someone in here...my guess.