[APP] Change Start Menu Icons (CSMI) v1.4b - UPDATED 17/01/2010
First time I make an app publicly available for windows mobile.. This program lets you change icons for programs in start menu and then, of course, in the quick links on the home screen. You can associate any PNG image (with transparency also) to any program in start menu: works both for applications AND folders. You can also reset* the original icons if you wish.
- Version 1.4 - Current
- New: Import/Export icon configuration: dumps to an XML file all the icons that have been changed, so you can reload them back later.. or after flashing a new rom Remember to leave the csmi_exported.xml on the root folder of your MicroSD card (if you don't have an SD card, put it instead in the root of your device).
- New: In the list are now shown only the items actually present in the start menu, so you should get much less "phantom" icons on bad cooked roms (when the cooker adds an item, then removes it in the start menu but forgets to clean the registry :P)
- New: Main icon list now scrolls up/down instead of left/right
- New: When you are browsing for new icons, you can see the name of the application on the upper section of the dialog box. So many times I forgot which icon I was changing, it really pissed me off.. but not anymore!
- New/Fix in 1.4a: Added an option to not filter icons.. tell me if this solves some problems!
- Fix in 1.4b: Some localization problem solved.. should prevent errors during CSMI startup! Can't test since I've only got a WWE Rom Please report feedback! Thanks!
- Version 1.3
- New: OpenFileDialogEx dropped in favor of standard Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Forms.SelectPictureDialog: that's what you have been waiting for.. finally image preview during icon selection!
- New: CSMI now remembers last used folder
- Version 1.2
- New: CSMI now forces HTC Sense icon cache to be updated when necessary: should solve some annoying problems Once an icon has been updated, just remove from HTC Home and re-add it!
- New: Updated icon - up 128x128 pixel resolution based on drik's icon pack. The icon is very similar but I had to do it myself in order to increase resolution up to 128x128 (his was 90x90 and according to tnyynt the best resolution for rounded icon is 128)
- Version 1.1
- Bugfix: If there is already a backup-ed icon, it wont be overwritten after changing twice the same icon.
- Bugfix: There should be no more problems with resetting icons to their original state.
- New: Apply and Reset buttons are enabled only when necessary.
- Version 1.0
What if CSMI can't apply an icon?
- Version 1.3
- While browsing for PNG images, transparency isn't rendered correctly (black background). That's Microsoft's fault. Even HTC's Album has the same problem. In a future release I will have to write a custom OpenFileDialog Class perfectly suited for this task only. But for now I'll just stick with it, works well and it's FAST!
- Version 1.2
- New icon's rounded corner are not as rounded as htc home screen's. This results in some blank space at the corners (ONLY IN HOME SCREEN). Will be fixed in the next release.
- About menu doesn't work :P
- Version 1.0
- Reset functionality does not work very well at the moment: does work in most cases but if a start menu item didn't have an icon associated with it in the registry then you CAN'T reset original icon using CSMI v1.0 - you have to manually remove the application's registry key value "Icon"
- If you change more than once any icon you won't be able to restore it's original aspect Sorry guys, I'll update the app ASAP.
- Delete all files located in \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher
- Change that icon with CSMI
- Remove the application icon from the homescreen
- Just add back it back in Sense homescreen.. that's it!
That, however, applies only to HTC Sense: if you want Windows Mobile Start Menu icon to be updated (this applies to v1.2+ too
), just soft-reset your phone!
I've found a bug/feature in manila which prevents some icons to be changed
Since many users were complaining about not being able to change some icons I've started investigating the problem and found that if you try to use a custom icon which have the same filename
of one of the images found in \Windows then Manila will always load that instead of your customized one
In order to easily fix the problem, just rename your icon
This bug affects ONLY manila, therefore in the start menu everything will look fine BUT in the Homescreen you will always have the original icon!
--> Download the latest version here [v1.4b]
--> Dinik's Icon Set (HQ 128x128)
--> Drik's Icon Pack (SQ 90x90)
--> Zenkinz's Folder Icons
If you like my work and want to offer me a beer..
Himalaya (Still working) - WM6.1 build 20722.214.171.124 (20755) PDAVIET WWE - 16MB PP
Kaiser (Sold) - WM6.1 Build 207126.96.36.199 (20273) HyperDragon III WWE
Blackstone (Sold) - WM6.5 Phoenix 1.0 ITA - OS Build 23016 - Radio 188.8.131.52
Leo (Still working) - Pdaimatejam Windows Phone 7.8 8835
Samsung GS2 (Current) - CyanogenMod 9.0