[TUT] How to change from one official ROM to another (including language)

Search This thread

Xzeven

OK there's a LOT of confusion between all the threads on exactly how to switch languages and official ROMS etc etc. The fix I have here (not entirely created by me, I believe Cmonex, Jesterz and the QMAT people are to be thanked) I'm just summarising to make it easy for any noobs here :)

This will enable you to replace your official ROM (any language) with another official ROM (any language etc). IT is NOT an SPL fix so no custom ROMs will work yet. It also won't SIM unlock your phone.

---
Note: There seems to be a problem flashing the Current Russian ROM to a WWE EU/US/Asia HTC Leo. I advise anyone NOT to flash the Russian ROM for the moment, until a fix has been found. (Its been guessed that the Russian ROM is either locked, non-official or written for a slightly different version of the HTC Leo (perhaps version 110)
---
This guide has been requested in other languages. So to help:

At læse denne på dit sprog klik her

Per leggere questo nella tua lingua clicca qui

Um dies zu lesen in Ihrer Sprache klicken Sie hier

Om dit lezen in uw taal klik hier

Pour lire ceci dans votre langue, cliquez ici

Aby przeczytać w swoim języku kliknij tutaj

Чтобы прочитать это на вашем языке нажмите здесь

Chun seo a léamh í nGaeilge cliceáil anseo

Things we need:
-MicroSD card, anything over 512MB is good enough.
-HTC LEO...just in case you forgot :D
-QMAT 5.06 (other methods available but this is easiest) installed
-An Official HTC rom that you wish to write to your phone (any language). Some can be found here . The examples included here involve RUU_Leo_HTC_WWE_1.43.405.1...
-a zip utility eg the free 7zip installed.

-----
1: Format your SD card to FAT32.
--a: Plug your phone into your windows PC, select DISKDRIVE on your LEO
--b: The Drive should be visible in Windows as REMOVABLE DISK
--c: Right Click and Format > Format to FAT32 (best to untick quick format)

2:Allow non signed Software on the Leo
--a: install a regedit software on your Leo e.g. PHM regedit also original PHM Site (offline at the moment)
--b: Run the regedit software
--c: Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies
--d: Look for 00001001 double click it and change the setting from 2 to 1
--e: Reboot the HTC LEO

3:Get the SD card's Serial number.
--a: Unplug your HD from the PC and Plug it back in select ACTIVESYNC on your LEO
--b: Run QMAT, Select Hardware Forensics>WINCE SD> Get serial
--c: It should give you a long Serial number, take note of this number for step 4:
--d(optional): Most people have better success by replacing the first 2 letters/numbers with 00 (zero zero) then use this number for the next step

4: Get your Gold Card.
--a: Goto the very generous people over at QMAT again. (NO LONGER FREE - alternative method coming soon)
--b: Input your email and in the CID box put your SD card Serial number from the step above
--c: Click continue and you should receive a goldcard.img file in your email.

5:Rewrite your SD card with the Goldcard
--a: Get yourself a HexEditer. Install and run it. (Win 7 & Vista users - run this as Administrator)
--b:Unplug and replug your HTC LEO select DISK DRIVE on the LEO
--c:Go to Extra Tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK.
--d:Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier. Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.
--e:Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.
--f:Click on the “removable disk” tab. Highlight the offset from 00000000 to offset 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.
--g:Click on File > Save. now you can exit the program.
--h:Reboot the HTC Leo

At this point if you have an O2 phone or experience "00028002 not allowed" aftter completing the 6 (Normal) step, then see below for the 6 (O2 Phones) step. (Some phones not just O2 Phones will not work with 6 (Normal) and vice-versa.

6 (normal): Put your Favourite OFFICIAL Rom on the Leo
--a:Right click on your exampleOFFICIALrom.exe and Extract it to a folder
--b:From the extracted file locate RUU_signed.nbh and rename it LEOIMG.nbh
--c:Copy the LEOIMG.nbh file to your MicroSD card
--d: Make sure your phone is charged at least 80% then power it off
--e: Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press POWER button
--f: A menu will appear select (usually the power button) to continue to write the ROM
--g:After 5-10 minutes the phone should tell you the ROM was successfully written and the bar is full. You can now press reset (the small Red button beside the battery, use a pen)

-----

6 (O2 Phones): Put your Favourite OFFICIAL Rom on the Leo
--a: Unplug your phone and plug it back in, set it to ACTIVESYNC
--c: Run the exampleROM.exe file it will guide you through the update process.

-------
7: Your done :)

That's it, it should now boot up in the ROM and language of your choice.

If there's anything I left out or anything you'd like to add just let know on this thread. Also keep us up to date on how it worked for you.

Enjoy :)

If after using the Hex Editor you are asked for FORMAT your disk again (and unable to put LEOIMG.NBH on the SD card) you can follow on from these steps (from Sickboy6th)>
1. Format SD card from within WinMo
2. Place LEOIMG.NBH on the SD card
3. Read CID with QMAT
4. Request GoldCard.img with CID
5. Write the goldcard to the SD, by having ActiveSync active, and "Write Image" in QMAT.
6. Reboot to bootloader (I used some tool that is included with the homebrewed "Service Pack, update 4" available for LEO in these forums).

P.S.
Please be careful when selecting a ROM. Some ROMs are pre-release only and may contain a "timebomb". (e.g A previous release of ROM 1.48) If it is a pre-release with "timebomb", the device will lock at a specific date and you won't be able to access anything on your phone or go beyond a simple lockout screen. The only fix would be to flash a new ROM.

Last edited:

DeeTee73

Jun 15, 2008
Viperbjk - Thanks for LEO Goldcard & QMAT

Cmonex - Thanking you for HSPL's (for my Diamond and HD) and for any work you did on this.

Jagnet - Thanks for the tutorial

Have just flashed HTC_Asia_WWE_1.48.707.2 over the top of my UK edition 1.43

Comments on the tutorial - Step 3(d) - I'm not sure you need to replace the leading two characters of the SD CID with zero's as I didn't do this initially, then requested another (with the leading zero's) and the two .img's delivered back to me are identical.

Apart from that - the tutorial worked like a dream - thanks again everyone ...

cmonex - not sure I really want HSPL until 4th January or my wife will be upset at me constantly flashing (the HD2 that is) over the Xmas break :D so from my point of view take it slowly ...

tribianni

Jun 4, 2006
OK there's a LOT of confusion between all the threads on exactly how to switch languages and official ROMS etc etc. The fix I have here (not entirely created by me, I believe Cmonex, Jesterz and the QMAT people are to be thanked) I'm just summarising to make it easy for any noobs here :)

This will enable you to replace your official ROM (any language) with another official ROM (any language etc). IT is NOT an SPL fix so no custom ROMs will work yet.

---

Things we need:
-MicroSD card, anything over 512MB is good enough.
-HTC LEO...just in case you forgot :D
-QMAT 5.06 (other methods available but this is easiest) installed
-An Official HTC rom that you wish to write to your phone (any language). Some can be found here . The examples included here involve RUU_Leo_HTC_WWE_1.43.405.1...
-a zip utility eg the free 7zip installed.

-----
1: Format your SD card to FAT32.
--a: Plug your phone into your windows PC, select DISKDRIVE on your LEO
--b: The Drive should be visible in Windows as REMOVABLE DISK
--c: Right Click and Format > Format to FAT32 (best to untick quick format)

2:Allow non signed Software on the Leo
--a: install a regedit software on your Leo e.g. PHM regedit
--b: Run the regedit software
--c: Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies
--d: Look for 00001001 double click it and change the setting from 2 to 1
--e: Reboot the HTC LEO

3:Get the SD card's Serial number.
--a: Unplug your HD from the PC and Plug it back in select ACTIVESYNC on your LEO
--b: Run QMAT, Select Hardware Forensics>WINCE SD> Get serial
--c: It should give you a long Serial number.
--d: Change the first 2 numbers or letters to 00 (2x zero the numbers not the O letter)

4: Get your Gold Card.
--a: Goto the very generous people over at QMAT again
--b: Input your email and in the CID box put your SD card Serial number from the step above
--c: Click continue and you should receive a goldcard.img file in your email.

--a: Get yourself a HexEditer. Install and run it.
--c:Go to Extra Tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK.
--d:Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier. Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.
--e:Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.
--f:Click on the “removable disk” tab. Highlight the offset from 00000000 to offset 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.

6: Put your Favourite OFFICIAL Rom on the Leo
--a:Right click on your exampleOFFICIALrom.exe and Extract it to a folder
--b:From the extracted file locate RUU_signed.nbh and rename it LEOIMG.nbh
--c:Copy the LEOIMG.nbh file to your MicroSD card
--d: Make sure your phone is charged at least 80% then power it off
--e: Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press POWER button
--f: A menu will appear select (usually the power button) to continue to write the ROM
--g:After 5-10 minutes the phone should tell you the ROM was successfully written and the bar is full. You can now press reset (the small Red button beside the battery, use a pen)
-------

That's it, it should now boot up in the ROM and language of your choice.

If there's anything I left out or anything you'd like to add just let know on this thread. Also keep us up to date on how it worked for you.

Enjoy :)

great work,thanks a lot

MagiciaN

Mar 22, 2004
Doesn't work for me :(
After an "Update successful" and reboot i get a black screen with this message:

Your OS ROM isn't customized for your hardware.
Please reflash the proper ROM code or contact the service centre

I've tried to flash from WWE to Russian

fmcastro

Dec 18, 2006
How long have you been waiting for the email (with the image file) to arrive? I've requested it about 4 hours ago (twice) and got nothing so far. Maybe I'm just unlucky :(

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
Nice tutorial.

So it should be able to flash an official ROM over a T-Mobile branded one?
I'm asking, because you say "original to original", but also that it's because "cannot flash custom ROMs". =)

Sky Forever

Nov 15, 2006
SPb
tried to flash RUS ROM...
Start flashing.... ends flashing...

Displays:

LEOIMG.nbh - OK

RADIO_V2 - OK
RCUST - OK
BOOTLOADER - OK
SPLASH1 - OK
OS - OK
CONFIGDATA - OK
RUU_WALLPAPER1 - OK
RUU_WALLPAPER2 - OK

Update Complete
UPDATE SUCCESS

reboot...

Your OS ROM isn't costomized
for your hardware.
Please reflash the proper
ROM code or contact the
service centre

then reflash to WWE - all OK.

what's wrong?

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
Worked pretty well ... Thanks for the tutorial and thanks to viperbjk for the goldimage ... :)

hotshot646

Mar 19, 2008
Great work and thanks a lot for this tut, I was going crazy not knowing what to do with my goldcard image.

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
Thank you for your tut.
I didn't realize that and was going crazy on how to do this work!

Waiting for HSPL now ;)

axemcomp

Apr 27, 2008
Thanks for the great tutorial and thanks to everyone else involved with the tools to make this possible. I now have my O2 HD2 running official WWE rom and sim unlocked.

Still have a problem with Orange voicemail icon on the notifications bar, and Orange sending me strange text messages when I try and remove voicemail messages. :(

Jmarley

Nov 22, 2009
Great tutorial, much appreciated, but a small request, Would it be possible to add to, or a separate guide on How to dump/backup our installed Rom ?
It maybe common knowledge for You old hands but I've searched and not found anything on "leo" Rom backup.
Besides it being a good policy to keep a safety backup, I'm sure some of Us may need to revert the Rom if the phone had to be returned for service

Thanks again

starbase64

Apr 3, 2007
--a: Get yourself a HexEditer. Install and run it.

Hi,

after this reboot is a message> Device is not formatted

SD Card formatted with FAT32 and FAT, but it did not work.

There is a solution for this?

with friendly greet

starbase64

Last edited: