I have had ENOUGH with this DOG$H!T keyboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chronicle

Nov 21, 2009
I need alternatives! Or I will very soon be launching this POS out of a top story window or stamping on it.

The keyboard is completely blinking useless.
The keys are too close together.
The auto spell is absolutely awful and doesn't learn.
it doesn't put a capital at the beginning of new sentences.

You also can't type at any speed since if you don't lift your finger directly upwards after selecting a letter, the drag motion across will select the letter to it's side. It so frustrating I don't want to use the phone for anything involving text input. Period.

I had an 3G before, which with a smaller & lower res screen manages to excel at text input. How have HTC managed to completely screwed this most basic and important feature up?!

Are there any other keyboards one can install over this cr@p? Oh, and before someone mentions anything about installing the reduced sensitivity .cab - I have. I have been using it for a week and it's still an unusable POS!

I love the phone but I cannot live with this any longer. If no proper solutions are available then it's going back, just hopefully before it's in tiny bits! :)

sunking101

Nov 25, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I hear you man lol lol lol.
I cringe when I hear an incoming text message alert.....because it means I have to deal with typing a reply.....and then having to correct every single word I type. It's sooo tedious and I came from another touch-screen phone, so it isn't like I don't know what I'm doing.

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Its odd, the same keyboard is fine on the HD, but not on the HD2. I use the phone pad option with xT9 on, it works really well for me

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
The problem with the HD2 keyboard is that it takes the last key you touched not the first on. So if you you press on A and moved to L without removing your finger, it will take L. This is really weird...because most of the time after pressing on the key you want while removing your finger you accidentally touch another one due to the limited space available between keys...

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
Try Touchpal, works with great accuracy and learns as you type new words. They have also emailed me to say that they will be updating software for phones with bigger screens such as the HD2.

You can try before you buy, just do a search on google. If you do buy the software, make a request as the more requests they get, the sooner they will probably make an updated release.

Also as a side note, I don't think the original keyboard is as bad as you have described as I seem to be able to use it fairly accurately though I do agree they could have done a better job.

JamDonot

Feb 25, 2007
I have to totally agree with you. I have went this year from an Iphone 3G, to a hero, now to an HD2, and the text input is way way worse on the HD2. I find the blooming delete key is the worst offender, seems to type m or n, or for that matter any other letter, really annoying. I have also aligned the screen, many many times, and installed the .cab mentioned earlier, not better. .I Love the hardware, but hate the software, so debating putting it on flebay and buying a 3GS, or even a Milestone (Droid), but am reluctant to do so in case it gets fixed. I emphasise also with the previous post, it has got to the point now, that if I need to reply to an email, and it will be more that a few words, if I am at home I will boot up my laptop to reply to the email, just so I dont end up throwing the HD2 out the window in frustration.

s1rl4ncel0t

Jul 14, 2007
Portugal - Lisbon
It's a fact. I miss my 3Gs keyboard. Although it was smaller, it was more precise and fast... and the "xT9" of it, worked way better as well. It seemed like I reads our mind :D

HastaSSSS

sunking101

Nov 25, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I've just downloaded the Resco keyboard and it seems much better....still not perfect but I think that's down to the sensitivity of the HD2 screen.

Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying Resco click every time I use to keyboard?

chronicle

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not alone then!

Seriously, if nothing's done soon i'll end up being arrested for muttering profanities and expletives in public like a loony tune! I'll file another remark with HTC along with the dodgy camera (pink spot) complaint I made last week. Which, considering their insistence that it is a software problem, they are taking a long time to resolve!

Thanks for the heads up on the alternatives on the keyboards...I will give one of them a pop and if that doesn't work then i'll have to just get the quill and blotching paper out...i'd rather that than going back to an iPhone and there's nothing else out there that's even interesting, phone wise. (Droid's naff)

Cheers!

witNer

May 22, 2007
West Midlands
I agree the 3G/3Gs keyboard are more clever but that's only a software thing. It can be corrected on the HD2 but the question is will they?!

It was quite ironic that I was having the same problems as you all have but when I loaded CoPilot and used its own keyboard the accuracy was near the iphone standard! Makes me realise HTC are too blame for the in-accuracy and hope they correct it soon....

Sometimes trying to be different isn't always the best idea especially when Apple have at least got the keyboard right. Create something like CoPilot or the iPhone keyboard and we're all happy again.

It's a fact. I miss my 3Gs keyboard. Although it was smaller, it was more precise and fast... and the "xT9" of it, worked way better as well. It seemed like I reads our mind :D

HastaSSSS

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Nothing wrong with it. I came from an iPhone and as such it took me some time to get used to the HD2's but I got there in the end. I still can't compose an email or text message as fast as I could on the iPhone but some people go on about the HD2's as if it's totally unusable which is frankly a pile of s**te. The key is not to rush.

Blartiartfast

Feb 12, 2005
I also dreaded the TXT alert.. I updated to a 148 rom using the sticky guide.. The HD2 has just earnt a stay of execution. Many times better than before, still not up to the iPhone standard, but then i doubt we will ever see this happen.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I also dreaded the TXT alert.. I updated to a 148 rom using the sticky guide.. The HD2 has just earnt a stay of execution. Many times better than before, still not up to the iPhone standard, but then i doubt we will ever see this happen.

I don't see why you think that, there is no reason the HD2 can't have a keyboard identical in use to the iPhone.

chronicle

Nov 21, 2009
Nothing wrong with it. I came from an iPhone and as such it took me some time to get used to the HD2's but I got there in the end. I still can't compose an email or text message as fast as I could on the iPhone but some people go on about the HD2's as if it's totally unusable which is frankly a pile of s**te. The key is not to rush.

No, the keyboard is a pile of sh!te and you are definitely in the minority- the point is too build a keyboard on which that you can type quickly, accurately, precisely and without stress. Not one that you have to concentrate on every single keystroke on, and woe betide you if you have to use the dreaded delete key...mmmnlllllllnmmmmmmllll.

But hey, at least HTC have given us a big space bar and HUGE forward, up, down & backwards keys....phew, what would we do without them?!

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
Got my phone this morning and at first did struggle with the keyboard, but after a few hours I have absolutely no problems with it, typing's absolutely fine. I get the odd press wrong while navigating but I'm on target most of the time.

greatcapp

Jun 15, 2009
No, the keyboard is a pile of sh!te and you are definitely in the minority- the point is too build a keyboard on which that you can type quickly, accurately, precisely and without stress. Not one that you have to concentrate on every single keystroke on, and woe betide you if you have to use the dreaded delete key...mmmnlllllllnmmmmmmllll.

But hey, at least HTC have given us a big space bar and HUGE forward, up, down & backwards keys....phew, what would we do without them?!

At the beginning of the thread, you asked for alternatives. Have you tried any of the suggestions people have made?
If none of those suit, you may be better off going back to the iPhone (where, you're right, the keyboard is great).

But I'm not sure I've ever seen an adult get so upset about something that's really not that bad, and certainly not worth getting that stressed over.

chronicle

Nov 21, 2009
At the beginning of the thread, you asked for alternatives. Have you tried any of the suggestions people have made?
If none of those suit, you may be better off going back to the iPhone (where, you're right, the keyboard is great).

But I'm not sure I've ever seen an adult get so upset about something that's really not that bad, and certainly not worth getting that stressed over.

Yes well greatcapp, irony, SOH's, sarcasm, exagerations and frustrations don't translate well over forums! I'm pretty chilled now, since I haven't had to use the phone to a while :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you strongly - it IS that bad, and i'm pro WM and anti iPhone. I'm not bashing it to have a laugh, i'm bashing it because I want something done about it by HTC. If everyone just rolled over every time technology went backwards saying 'it's not that bad' and 'you get used to it' then we'd all end up back with a coke can and a bit of string! :)

HTC have had a VERY long time to get this right, Apple showed the industry the light and even HTC have managed much better keyboards with previous versions of their phones. This one needs some fuss kicked up about it to spur them into action.

It won't take much, just a million small tweaks here and there and this phone will be perfect :D

ps. I will have a go at one of the keyboard versions later, hope there's trails- I really don't want to waste any more money on software.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The HD2 has the exact same screen + response as the iPhone.