Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 51,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

Tip us?

flipzmode
Old
(Last edited by flipzmode; 16th April 2010 at 03:11 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

Geek For Me is proud to announce:

Toast's Secret Sauce

From the developers who brought Eclair (Android 2.x) to the CDMA Hero

I'm confused about this post/rom
A lot of new HeroC users out there don't even remember a 2.1 before damage got the leaked RUUs. I actually ported it to the Hero way back in November of 2009 from a copy that had been ported to the GSM Hero. Myself, toast, and a couple of others then spent MONTHS getting everything working. We started with basically nothing at all and ended up with a near fully functioning rom, through the use of real dev work. Check the older posts at http://geekfor.me/android21/ for info on the previous work. I also went ahead and made this post using the old thread so that maybe people can get some history on it.

Can you tell me more about this?
I'll be staying tight lipped for the moment but what I will say is that this is marked as a dev rom for a reason. It is not going to be a 100% functioning rom and is made more as a proof of concept, and for fun. It is not meant as a daily rom for most users.

When will this be released?
Coming soon to a phone near you. We're still working on hammering out some bugs, and adding some features.

And a little teaser (benchmarks) :

Xylon - Nexus 4: 2.1.1b2 (Android 4.2.2)
Fresh Evo LTE: 5.3.1 (Android 4.0.4) || Fresh Evo 3d: 4.2.0 (Android 2.3.4) || Fresh Evo: 4.3.3
Fresh Shift: 4.1.1 (Android 2.3.3) || Fresh Hero: 2.4.0 (Android 2.1)

CDMA Android development and Fresh rom home: http://GeekFor.Me || Twitter

magicalan
Old
Thanks Meter 77
I wanna try it but am scared haha still nothing works hopefully will get it before sprint does

flipzmode
Old
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalan View Post
I wanna try it but am scared haha still nothing works hopefully will get it before sprint does
Just make a nandroid backup and you'll be fine. lol. This doesn't modify anything that could possibly brick your phone. But yea... it's pretty to look at but doesn't do anything just yet. I can probably get wifi working and such but I don't know what my chances are of making it work on Sprint. I don't know if it even ties in to our radio.img at all and if it's compatible with 2.1.
Fresh Evo LTE: 5.3.1 (Android 4.0.4) || Fresh Evo 3d: 4.2.0 (Android 2.3.4) || Fresh Evo: 4.3.3

5tr4t4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Many thanks!

I will be flashing this momentarily but wanted to ask you generally what is involved in "porting" a ROM from GSM to CDMA. My naive understanding is that 1.6 and up are GSM/CDMA capable.

And I must admit (with a developer background in many flavors of *nix, particularly the open source varieties of Linux and BSD) I'm not sure I understand why Android is so device specific. Is it the device drivers for individual hardware, the radio? Chip/CPU architecture?

Thank again for the work, I'll let you know what happens!

cteneyck
Old
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Hey Flipz.

have you tried to load the modules from the 1.5 rom. ie the radio and all other pertinent modules for the cdma radoi

thezero4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Tried it can't get past the boot screen. Waited for a crazy long time. You didn't say to do a Nandroid backup in your post, What should I do now? Just kidding, you know it's going to seriously be asked in a couple of posts though.

toastcfh
Old
Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1895

DONATE TO ME
from the sceen shots i can most likely tell what the major issue is.(i.e. 2.6.27) lol... but hell yeah man!!! thanx fixin to flash now.

flipzmode
Old
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
If you wait a seriously long time and it won't boot then you likely didn't do a wipe before you flashed the update. It will fail horribly and just keep looping on the startup screen.

I haven't done a single thing yet to try and get anything working other than getting it booting. I wanted to post it up here ASAP.

thezero4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
ah I didn't see to do a wipe, if I wipe the nandroid on the sdcard stays right? I assume it does but I'm going to copy to the copter to be safe. Thanks.

flipzmode
Old
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezero4 View Post
ah I didn't see to do a wipe, if I wipe the nandroid on the sdcard stays right? I assume it does but I'm going to copy to the copter to be safe. Thanks.
Yup. The wipe pretty much just clears from info from /data/. But having multiple backups is always a good thing!