5,606,588 Members 35,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashable Linux and Android

Tip us?

dzo
Old
(Last edited by dzo; 4th February 2010 at 04:09 AM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4580

DONATE TO ME
Default Flashable Linux and Android

This thread is about installing Android natively on your Vogue so it completely replaces Windows Mobile.

[size +1]Important: This thread is now out of date, if you want to flash Android, use the new "norootfs" NBHs.[/size]

There are 2 installation methods:

If you are already running android from your sd card then use method 2, if you want a fresh install of android 1.5 from a windows machine use method 1.

For both methods, you must have a HardSPL installed, if you have flashed a custom wince rom before then you will, otherwise read one of the other threads on XDA about how to do this.

Method 1:
------------------------------------------------------------------

download the following:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zldjhfnkzk2

Unzip it and follow the instructions in README-ANDROID.txt.

All you have to do is copy the androidinstall.tar file to your sd card and run ROMUpdateUtility.exe on your PC.

Now Donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

Method 2:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Check here for NBH files containing a linux kernel and initrd to allow you to flash android to your vogue and wipe windows completely.

http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D

The ROMs are dated and there are three versions.
They are identical except the resolution; 240x320, 320x428 and 320x480.

You will also need a new rootfs:

http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/rootfs.zip

This rom will copy your rootfs, system and data to nand (the internal storage of the phone) so you will only be running from nand. To do this, make sure you have a working setup (using system.sqsh and data.img without partitions) and install the new rootfs. Make sure it still works.

Make sure you have a carrier rom to go back to. Android currently doesn't let you change any of the radio parameters so you would have to flash back to a carrier rom to re-provision your phone.

Now create 3 empty files in the root of your sd card called:

rootfstonand
systemfstonand
datafstonand

These must be all lower case with no extensions and they will be deleted once each fs has been copied.

Now flash the rom corresponding to your resolution and wait.

There are 3 ways to flash a rom.
1. Use ROMUpdateUtility under windows (this may not work on these roms, i haven't tried it). Rename the nbh file to RUU_signed.nbh.
2. Use HTCFlasher under Linux, this is what I have been doing and although a bit quirky, it does work. A binary that fixes a few things with HTCFlasher is on the website.
3. Rename the nbh file to VOGUIMG.NBH, put it on an SD card and boot the phone while holding down the power and camera keys.

When it starts, it should be running from nand. The tmp and cache dirs are still mounted from sd, so you do need the sd card in there but it's not really used much.

If something goes wrong or you haven't copied the correct files, press volume up while it is booting (after the two vibrates preferably). It will display a message saying that its in recovery mode. You should be able to plug the phone into a computer and the sd card will appear as a usb drive. You can also connect using adb.

There are a few limitations, rootfs must be less than 13M, system must be less than about 90M and data must be less than about 128M. This means unless you use a very stripped down system with apps2sd, hero probably won't work.

I've put a linux adb binary on the files page that fixes the annoying history 'feature' too.

Remember, this will completely wipe windows mobile and all your data from the phone. Run android from SD first to make sure you like it and don't want to be able to easily go back to windows mobile.

I've spent a lot of time on this so I would like people to donate if they use it.

This is my paypal:

synaptyc
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Woot!
Doing this now =)

jmhalder
Old
(Last edited by jmhalder; 3rd December 2009 at 03:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzo View Post
I've spent a lot of time on this so I would like people to donate if they use it.

This is my paypal:

I'm paypaling 5 bucks right now.... and I dont have a Vogue, I have a kaiser, but hey, $5 is long overdue for all the work you've done for the kernel... if NAND support hits the kaiser, I'll probably throw another $5-10 your way.
*paypaled - I normally dont do this kind of stuff, but its the holiday season, the MSM Android project has made SO much progress cause of DZO, if everyone just donated $5-10, it would at least be a nice gesture for all the work he's done*

gswarriorfan
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I just registered to say thanks for all the hard work! I'll paypal you some cash once I get it up and running! I have a couple questions...

First, what works and doesn't work with this version? Bluetooth, tethering, nav?

Second, what version of android is this?

dj13241
Old
Thanks Meter 7
After flashing android using this method, can you still force the phone into the bootloader? I am assuming this is how you would flash back to windows.
Current Device: HTC Thunderbolt
ROM: CM7.1.1 (Looking forward to ICS!)

Smart Device History: Samsung SCH-i600, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Touch Pro2 + Coby MID7015, HTC Thunderbolt

My Build 21042 Titan Kitchen
My MSVC Announce Caller ID Fix
How to dump Touch Pro 2 ROM From Phone
WIDCOMM Bluetooth Development Info
Install Windows Mobile SDK without Visual Studio
Build CAB Installers under Linux

Shidell
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Thank you, dzo. This is incredible work!

Now that you've gotten this far, can you answer some questions for those of us considering making the switch to Android:
  1. What is/is not working in this build?
  2. What version of Android is this?
  3. What are the advantages of running one resolution over another?
  4. Will we require new drivers to sync to our PCs when running Android instead of WinMo? Are they available for all OSes? (XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux)
  5. How can we return to WinMo if necessary?
  6. What's next in your development goals? With any ideas, can you give any sort of time frame on what we can expect and maybe when?

pmcnano
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If I understand correctly, theres "NO" build in here, you play with builds in your DS, and when you are ready and like one..you just use that system.sqsh data.img rootfs (provided) and..the nbh, all in the root of the sd card. And it will flash the nand with your files! So..thats it!

Nice one dzo, hoping for you to get to kaiser

Pandemic187
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Hey Martin, I can't even use these flashable images, but if it weren't for you I wouldn't even be running Android via haret, plus you've answered so many of my questions and I've never donated. So, since you're actually now, I'll donate $10.
Current phone: Google Nexus 4

Retired:
Sony Ericsson z520a
Nokia 6126
HTC Tilt/TyTN II (Kaiser)
Motorola DROID2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH T-989

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Default flashing from windows

Can someone try flashing from windows, then use mtty and run

Code:
set 16 0
task 3
I had to do that to get my test phone out of bootloader last night even after flashing from Linux. But it's up and running 'the new old fashioned way' now.

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

VX-10 | VX-7000 | VX-8600 | XV6900 (HTC Vogue) | XV6850 (HTC Raphael) | Droid 2 | HTC Droid Incredible | HTC Thunderbolt | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Forum Moderator List

jamezelle
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 101

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswarriorfan View Post
I just registered to say thanks for all the hard work! I'll paypal you some cash once I get it up and running! I have a couple questions...

First, what works and doesn't work with this version? Bluetooth, tethering, nav?

Second, what version of android is this?
nothing that hasnt already worked works there is no change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj13241 View Post
After flashing android using this method, can you still force the phone into the bootloader? I am assuming this is how you would flash back to windows.
yea camera + power + reset hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
Thank you, dzo. This is incredible work!

Now that you've gotten this far, can you answer some questions for those of us considering making the switch to Android:
  1. What is/is not working in this build?
  2. What version of Android is this?
  3. What are the advantages of running one resolution over another?
  4. Will we require new drivers to sync to our PCs when running Android instead of WinMo? Are they available for all OSes? (XP, Vista, 7, OSX, Linux)
  5. How can we return to WinMo if necessary?
  6. What's next in your development goals? With any ideas, can you give any sort of time frame on what we can expect and maybe when?
i can answer a few

1 nothing that wasnt already working this isnt a build!!!, this is a way for VOGUE users to be able to put a working build "data.img and system.sqsh" they already have working on their phone and to be able to get rid of android
2 this isnt a build
3 320x240 shows more on screen 320x428 and 320x480 show more on screen but it is a little blurry
4 you will require adb drivers located on http://code.google.com/p/vogue-android and as far as i know they work on vista 32 and win 7 32 bit and there are different ones also located at vogue-android for win 7 64b
there are adb drivers for linux in the android SDK located here http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.6_r1/index.html make sure you download 1.6r1 though! 1.5r3 doesnt work for our devices in linux
5 just reflash any wm rom (that works with vogue of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkite38 View Post
Can someone try flashing from windows, then use mtty and run

Code:
set 16 0
task 3
I had to do that to get my test phone out of bootloader last night even after flashing from Linux. But it's up and running 'the new old fashioned way' now.
you could also use the bootloader cmd prompt in htc flasher and do:
Code:
set 16 0
ResetDevice
------------------------------------------------------
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW LTE: latest AOKP
HTC Thunderbolt: ROOTED S-OFF: Retired
Samsung Fascinate: ROOTED: My MIUI Port with Voodoo
Motorola Droid: ROOTED: My MIUI Port
HTC Droid ERIS: ROOTED: !CRACKED SCREEN! :sad-face: still half-way works My Sense-able 3.1
XV6900: (RIP)
T-mobile wing: Retired(lost)
------------------------------------------------------

follow me on twitter

www.jamezelle.com Work in progress...
Like what I do? Feel free to