XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Tip us?

d0ugie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

For those of you who prefer alternatives to your carrier's DNS servers, Google just opened up Google Public DNS which is fast and has no lame advertisement redirection on nonexistent hosts, compliant with the DNSSEC protocols and other forms of security against DNS spoofing, cache poisoning and the like. I'm getting a 11ms ping reply on my computer. The IPs are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which appear to be in NYC and Pennsylvania respectively.

If you're one of those people who are paranoid about google datamining you but still want improved latency, Level3's public DNS servers are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which appear to be in Washington DC. Those are fast and reliable too.

You may want to ping these two sets to see if one has a lower latency to you (assuming data from your phone follows almost the same kind of long path as your computer to the same host). There's always OpenDNS but they do lame redirecting.

Doug
see at&t get its ass kicked right here
get battery facts from batteryboss.org

orb3000
Old
XDA News Writer / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3010
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Default Redundant

Already posted beofre:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=594351
orb

HTC One Max - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

d0ugie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
argh damnit i wanted to be the dns hero..
see at&t get its ass kicked right here
get battery facts from batteryboss.org
Tags
dns, latency, ping, speed