Avoiding Tethering Charges - Orange UK

OP doublegandt

10th December 2009, 11:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
More
HI Everyone

I have searched but can't seem to find an answer.

My Touch 3g works just fine- I really like it.

The Internet Sharing (tethering) works fine also.

When out and about, I use the internet on the phone quite often - but now and again it is usful to tether for a long email or specific websites that are easier to use in a full browser.

But I have just been told by Orange that they will charge me 3 per MB (yes per MB) whilst tethered.

My questions are.........

1 How do they know you are tethered?
2 Is there anything I can do to 'cloak' the fact that I am tethered to avoid these high charges?

Thanks
15th December 2009, 09:51 AM   |  #2  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 375

1,564 posts
More
I'm with O2, but I have a HTC Diamond, yet I am lookign at goign to Orange with the HTC Touch 3G.
With O2, I have unlimited web bolt on, and using internet sharing has never been a problem for me. No extra charges or anything.
Do you have an unlimited web add on? As I am looking at getting an Orange contract with unlimioted web, but if they want to add extra charges, I may have to think again. BUT if you are paying extra while having unlimited web, this is surely wrong?
18th December 2009, 10:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
More
Yes - I do have unlimited internet on the phone in the UK - obviously using abroad will cost. I use the phone every day on the internet for emails etc.

I used it tethered for a short time and I used it abroad for a very short time - both in the same month - and there where some charges but I just assumed that the charges where for the abroad use. The bill did not say explicitly - just said 'extra data charges'.

But I was reading that Orange where charging iphone users for tethering - see post no.13 here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=671551

So because of this I rang Orange and after being put on hold for a while I was told tethering was 3 per Mb. I have searched the Orange website and I cannot find any mention of this charge - in fact 'tethering' is not mentioned at all AFAICS. I upgraded over the phone to this tariff and it wasn't mentioned then - but there again I never asked the question when I upgraded.

I have been reading other forums mentioning tethering charges -mostly in the USA - that have differing opinions - some say the provider cannot tell and it is just usage that is flagged and indicates that you must be tethering eg. if you do huge downloads because on a phone you would not do that.

So I am still bit confused really.

Interestingly, for O2, according to this http://www.allaboutiphone.net/2009/0...rd-of-caution/ tethering is NOT allowed unless you pay extra per month. The post is about iphones again but read it all and it says it applies to all O2 phones in their T&Cs. So maybe they just assume you are tethering because of the usage and then charge. How much tethering do you actually use? A lot? A little?

I am surprised no one on here can answer the question if it is technically possible for the network to tell if you are tethered or not.

Any of you tech wizzkids know any more?
Last edited by doublegandt; 18th December 2009 at 10:56 PM.
19th December 2009, 12:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 2

515 posts
I am not on Orange or O2 but on a similar GSM network. AFAIK, the telco operators have no way to know (and they shouldn't be bothered) if you're using internet sharing with your laptop (or whatever). They only keep track of how much data is transferred from your phone via their network.
23rd December 2009, 10:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
More
Thanks for your responses.

I have now found a reference to tethering in Orange T&C for the iphone! Clause 4 on this page - http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms...one-terms.html - it says " Not to be used for Internet Tethering (separate Tethered Data bundles are available)." but then says "if such use is detected" then they may limit the usage - but no mention of a charge.

So maybe they can't detect it.

Anyone works for Orange who knows the answer??
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread