Eclair 2.1 for Kaiser/Vogue/Polaris -- polymod 2.1 gamma [Based on OpenEclair 1.2.2 (XDA thread)]
Now available in TWO shades:
BOTH themes have updated Desire settings icons and QVGA dialer:
- OpenGL Hardware Acceleration! (thanks again to the amazing dzo!)
- Much improved battery life
- Working autocomplete (for Spanish and English) touch keyboard
- Working Google Voice and Maps 4.0 with Full Nav (or int'l Maps 4.0 with Nav)
- GPS with AGPS (Network "Cell-Tower" Location reported buggy for some users)
- 5 home screens and Full QVGA Compatibility
- Stability. The OpenEclair base is the most stable yet
- New install system (which means easier upgrading and multiple themes in the future!)
Thanks to all devs who have made this possible! zenulator, dzo, vilord, srwalter, mssmison, manup456, enatefox, jnadke, wesgarner, ctso, zapote21, bcrook, JAguirre1231 to name a few
I'd also like to thank Android Framework Engineer Dianne Hackborn , the many reponses to devs' questions she has left all over the net have taught me tons about Android.
A huge THANKS to those who have already donated!!!
Pandemic187, manu33xtro, kevinddavis, Robert H., Chui M., Dermot M., Jake Y., S Suresh K., Michael W., Rafael R., Edward C., Steven H., Stephen P., Dirk L., Adam P., Mile V., Leann M., Dave W., anonymous, Steve R., Avi R., Sebastian C., crymzyn, aikeru, Fiddelm3742, Steven T., Morten M., kendav911, James B., Peter V., and Stefan P.
Also much gratitude to ponack for providing free hosting!
UPDATE 10 Feb 2010:
polymod 2.1a released!
Based on OpenEclair 2.1, this should be the most stable base going forward.
Install process changed.
UPDATE 11 Feb 2010:
polymod 2.1 alpha 2 package with working OpenGL now released!!!
UPDATE 12 Feb 2010:
polymod 2.1 alpha 3 package with working init and compache now released! Major speed improvements!!
- Some improvements from OpenEclair 1.1.5 added
- Fixed init scripts
- No more hot wifi! Better wifi power settings!
- Fixed missing hw3d driver (sorry y'all!)
- Compcache added (ram swap only, no backing or disk swap, at least for now)
- Custom userinit.conf supported for power users (just copy /system/etc/userinit.conf to andboot folder on your sdcard and tweak to your liking)
- Additional polymod alpha 3 Release Notes
UPDATE 15 Feb 2010:
polymod 2.1 alpha 4 now released! Much easier install process for NAND/ext2/fat32 install. More bugfixes.
- no more switching default.txt/kernel! Installer and 3d now both in one kernel.
- NAND now supported too!
- Installer will prompt you! Press and hold d-pad center to launch installer.
- Improved tiwlan.ini settings
- Facebook full sync working
- AndroidApps app install now working
- /andboot/userinit.d folder now supported for multiple init scripts
- app structure changed for NAND-compatibility
- Run less services - Corporate Calendar (MotoCal) & bluetooth now uninstallable
[ Download Here ]
UPDATE 19 Feb 2010:
Displayfix update released
UPDATE 20 Feb 2010:
There have been some minor kernel updates. Please get the latest .nbh from KaiserEclair folder or kernel zImage-Eclair from http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/.
UPDATE 23 Feb 2010:
polymod 2.1 beta now released!
- All possible apps png-optimized for less memory use and speed
- Compcache settings optimized for faster app loading and switching
- Phone app (and others) reprioritized to improve responsiveness
- Java (JBed) fully working! (Tested with the latest Opera Mini 4.2)
- Apps separated for NAND-compatibility and uninstallability
- Smooth Animation and working 3D
- Media folder includes a couple Drum n' Bass ringtones and original Sonic the Hedgehog notification sounds
- Other minor updates/bugfixes
- New sourceforge kernel has vastly-improved installer (credit goes to dzo, vilord, mssmison, and more)
UPDATE 4 Mar 2010:
polymod 2.1 gamma now released! This is a major update!
THIS IS A FULL-WIPE BUILD. SYSTEM and DATA MUST BE WIPED FOR INSTALLATION.
- Upgraded base to OpenEclair 1.2.2 -- faster apps, less bugs
- Better memory management -- compcache & swap turned off by default
- More apps are uninstallable
- Regular Maps is included (but is uninstallable)
- Updated Facebook app (uninstallable)
- GPS is more stable; GPSTest is working and included (and uninstallable)
- Dialer customized and recompiled from source for QVGA
- Phone & incoming calls are more responsive
- Colored Settings icons from the Desire
- Lockscreen: No more menu-to-unlock, slide to unlock only
- Light theme includes 'Bounce' animations
- Dark theme available, more themed than before, includes custom "Super D" animations
- Many Live Wallpapers are working, including Grass, Bezier, Bobs, Polar Clock
- CLI Editor nano now included (use OK button for CTRL, Fn + Left Softkey for pipe)
- Miscellaneous bugfixes
UPDATE 15 Mar 2010:
polymod 2.1 g BT Update now released + .NBHs for Polaris!!
- BT Audio routing and PAN Networking does not work properly yet on Eclair! You can pair with devices, and send files, but if you attempt to make a call with BT audio, you'll probably end up with no sound and will have to reboot to fix it. However, we will likely fix that soon, and you'll only have to update your kernel.
- You can again thank dzo (Donation Link) for coding the fix, and also thank fellow xda member Mr. PaveL for tirelessly building and testing .NBHs with me while dzo updated.
- The only other noticeable updates this kernel provides is soft-reset support for Kaiser and working speakerphone -- so if you don't need these features and polymod is already working well for you, there is no need to update!
UPDATE 18 Mar 2010:
polymod 2.1 g WiFi Power Level Updates released!
Head over to http://ponack.net/poly/WiFi , and get .zips for Low, Medium, High, and Over 9000 WiFi Power Levels. Each .zip contains an androidupdate.tar, place it in your andboot folder and use the installer to update!
UPDATE 19 Mar 2010:
Latest .NBHs and Kernel for Kaiser & Polaris posted to http://ponack.net/poly/BT_Update/ , thanks again to Mr PaveL for building them.
If you're using HaRET, the same zImage now works for Donut AND Eclair. For Eclair you will need to add hw3d.version=1 to the command line in your default.txt . If the previous BT zImage wasn't working for you, this one should. (New Vogue .nbh and the same kernel can be found @ dzo's site.)
UPDATE 23 Mar 2010:
Full Market update released!
Use the installer to apply the update, and then 'fix permissions'.
Download the latest basefiles (haretinstall.zip) from SourceForge
Make sure to use the correct default.txt for your device. The default.txt must also point to zimage-eclair instead of zimage.
If you want to partition, you will need your partitions to be:
1: FAT32 (at least 512MB, to be safe) / 2: EXT2 (256MB) / 3: ext2 (256MB)
Warning: Partitioning your SD card successfully can be difficult, I recommend using Linux.
This is an beta build! I am not responsible if you brick your phone or a tornado lands in your yard due to flashing to NAND!
How to flash a ROM for Kaiser
Download the latest .nbh from SourceForge -- Make sure to use the kaisereclair / polariseclair / vogueeclair variant
The polymod package:
[ DOWNLOAD Eclair polymod 2.1g Light-Themed for SD install or NAND ]
[ DOWNLOAD Eclair polymod 2.1g Dark-Themed for SD install or NAND ]
[ DOWNLOAD OptionalApps.zip ]
[ Link to the background wallpaper ]
- Place the androidinstall.tgz from polymod_2.1g.zip in your /andboot folder on your SDcard. Hold dpad-center when prompted during boot to install.
- Let the system boot, and don't do anything but go through the setup wizard pressing skip. Don't sync accounts, or setup data, or set your wallpaper. After skipping through the setup wizard, wait at least 5 minutes, then turn off the device.
- Now power-on your device (this is a good time to backup, just in case) and after boot you can start setting up your accounts like normal.
Need better instructions? Try reading j101399j's awesome polymod Eclair install guide with images!
Questions? Don't forget to use the search!! Your question has probably been asked and answered before. Also, here's an Android on Kaiser FAQ
Please use this build with the latest radio, for Kaiser that is 1.71.09.01. Old radios are not supported.
Normal Sleep/Suspend (not hacked!)
Full GPS with AGPS
Network (Cell-Tower-based) Location (buggy)
Apps included in this build:
Live Wallpapers: Grass, Beziers, Bobs, Polar Clock, Visualizations
Astro File Manager [Free]
Taskiller Free 1.8.1 (no ads + CUSTOM THEMED TASKBAR WIDGET) [Free]
Facebook (full sync working)
Desk Clock [new!]
Genie Widget (a.k.a News and Weather app)
Nav Launcher [Free]
GPS Test [Free]
extra terminal tools in bin/xbin: rwsystem, rosystem, nano & more
Optional Apps (in zipfile):
Maps (US and Int'l Nav)
HTC_IME (for 320x480 white soft-keyboard)
PinyinIME (Chinese soft-keyboard with auto-complete)
HTC Notes (nice, but always runs in background)
ConnectBot (latest from Google Code repo)
Jbed (for Java apps)
- Create full /andboot/ packages for n00bs
- Create androidupdate.tgz for different WiFi power levels
- Create androidupdate.tgz to switch animations
- Test light-to-dark and dark-to-light
- The 'Cell-Tower' Location bug has been found (fix in progress)
- Full-Build PNG-Optimization (in progress)
- Clean up the in-call dialer buttons
- Improve the music app for QVGA
- Make menu-to-unlock a Spare Parts option (fix in progress)
- Camera, Bluetooth, Audio-In, Video Playback (fixes being worked on, volunteers always appreciated)
- Add Kaiser vendor to OE github
- Rebuild themed .apks from source
Skin information & credits:
* Light Tray Launcher from gChrome by Moonspoon (link)
* Dark Tray Launcher from Gloss by Moonspoon
* Dark Theme Colored Notification Icons from Zapote21's Zapmix 0.95
* Black Notification Bar and Notification Tray Handle from OpenEclair MetaMorph put together by JAguirre1231 (link)
* custom wallpaper, robot from (link)
* custom dark-themed taskiller bar