Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,027 Members 47,853 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: When released, will you switch to iGO9
Yes, as soon as possible. 3 50.00%
No, I'll stick with iGO8 or my other satnav program. 0 0%
Maybe, I'll wait to see what improvements are made. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

iGO9 Coming soon to smartphones

Tip us?

ronp76
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up iGO9 Coming soon to smartphones

Last week on another Forum I part of, one of the more experienced members released info on NavNGO's new iGO 2009. Don't know yet if the satnav program will be called iGO9 but that is what it has called in private posts I have been following. Here is the link to the undeveloped page:

http://www.igomyway.com/en/#

Supposedly NavNGO is working on improving much of the features we have seen in iGO8 like the Driver Alerts. While some users are worried that NavNGO will leave behind the PNA market, I find that hard to believe.

The primary reason for that is because the PNA version is easily adapted to other platforms like PDAs, 2Dins and smartphones. And knowing some characters on other boards, I am sure they will find a way to make it compatible with their old devices. Hopefully it will be more user-friendly towards finger-friendly smartphones and possess TTS. Some companies mistakenly think of smartphones as being PDAs and iGO8 did not have TTS available for its PDA version.

Most users like me have more than one platform or device. I presently have a PDA and smartphone. Plus I provide "expert advice" to my Brother and a friend who have a different smartphone and PNA respectively. For this reason I believe others will find a way to port it to other devices.

Still, NavNGO has promised to release maps for those platforms up till 2010. Personally I don't travel in too many newly built up areas. So, my future 2010 maps will mostly likely serve me for at least two to three years beyond.

iGO9 probably will not be out much before February 2010 but I could be wrong (I hope; I hope)!
WM 6.5 HTC T3232 (clone)
running iGO8
The Following User Says Thank You to ronp76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

browny58
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think they are waiting for Wm 7 to show.
HTC T8285 Clone
WM6.5

ronp76
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by browny58 View Post
I think they are waiting for Wm 7 to show.
I don't think so. NavNGo had a lot of problems with its Driver Alert feature and the fact that one set of maps worked with it. It seems from what I read on other Forums that they are working on branding iGO onto other devices or platforms. I bet they felt the urge or need to get it on iPhone and Android while waiting to develop iGO9 for smartphones.

The smartphone version will or should be an upgrade of the PNA version. When I got iGO8 for my PDA, they sold me the PDA version that that does not have TTS. TTS is an integral part of a satnav program. I want streets, exits, etc all announced. I only hope the smartphone version will not be a limited PDA version.
WM 6.5 HTC T3232 (clone)
running iGO8
Tags
igo9