Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 52,870 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Voice Easy SMS - Send & Auto-Receive SMS free via Google Voice [v2.0, 5/21/10]

Tip us?

msullivan
Old
(Last edited by msullivan; 2nd December 2010 at 05:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Default Google Voice Easy SMS - Send & Auto-Receive SMS free via Google Voice [v2.0, 5/21/10]

Important Announcement:
Hey everyone, thanks for the support over the last year. This app was a great learning experience for me, I enjoyed the challenges it presented and learned a lot in the process.

I've now moved on to and Android device (and if you are able, I encourage you to do the same!). Thus, my development and support are both officially finished. This application is wholly open-source, and if anyone out there wants to pick up where I left off, please do (under the conditions that the app remains open-source and you retain my name as an author).

Thanks

===========================

After 5 long months of working on it, Google Voice Easy SMS 2.0 is now released to the public, for free, like always! Send and automatically receive Google Voice SMS right on your phone over your data plan!

I've not been able to find a free application for Windows Mobile that allows easy text messaging (SMS) via your Google Voice account. I wanted something easy to use that also pulls from the phone's contacts list. So since I couldn't locate an app that suites these needs, I created one. After all, Iím a broke college student and I want something to give me free outgoing messages. Speaking of being broke, if you like what you see, consider donating via PayPal. After all, I'm probably saving you a good deal of money on a SMS package from your provider! You can do it right from this page on my website:

http://www.mattslifebytes.com/donate
Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Website & Download Location: http://www.mattslifebytes.com/?cat=7 OR http://tinyurl.com/googVSMS
Please don't mirror the installation file, just link to the above URL. That way current versions get distributed. Thanks!

Important Installation Note:
Once you have downloaded and installed Easy SMS, you'll need
to enter your Google Account information by going to 'Menu' -> 'Settings' -> 'Google Account Settings'. Fill in the info, then do 'Menu' -> 'Check for Messages'.

New In Version 2.0
  • Pretty much everything is new!
  • Easy SMS is now a full suite application. You can both send and receive Google Voice SMS through it for FREE.
  • All bugs with the old 1.x series have been fixed.

Features:
  • It's free. Who doesn't like free stuff?
  • Sends messages via the data connection, meaning your outgoing SMS costs you nothing
  • Interfaces with your phone's contacts list
  • Connects directly to Google via SSL to send your message, no man-in-the-middle servers that could potentially harvest your Google Account password
  • Signature support
  • Send to multiple recipients at once

Easy SMS is completely open-source! Want to have a look? Just click through to my website for the download.

Requirements
  • Windows Mobile based device; software has been tested on versions 6, 6.1, and 6.5, but the program may work with other versions.
  • .NET Compact Framework 3.5
  • A Google Voice account
  • Cellular data plan or WiFi connectivity
  • If your cellular data plan charges by the kilobyte, be sure to keep track of your usage; this program uses very little bandwidth, but don't try to blame data charges on me
  • You must abide by the Google Voice terms of service when using this program

Google has a bad habit of changing the way stuff works without letting people know. If you find that this program suddenly stops working, it could be because Google changed a setting and broke the way this program works. Check the blog site for info on known issues and patch releases. I'll try to post here with that stuff too.

Want to make calls easily via Google Voice from your Windows Mobile phone? Try iDialer and iContact, visit http://supware.net for those amazing programs.

I've tried to be very thorough in testing, but you never know. Find something odd? Tell me how to reproduce the error and I'll try to take care of it. Toss me an e-mail.

Website & Download Location: http://www.mattslifebytes.com/?cat=7
U.S. Cellular Mesmerize (Samsung I500)

famewolf
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Default Excellent job!

This is exactly what I've been looking for since I found out google incoming sms could be routed to an email address. Thanks so much!

Google Nexus 5 - 32mb - Nexus 5 Experience - CM11 Based R8.5
Google Nexus 4 - 16mb - Nexus 5 Experience - CM11 Based R8.5
B&N Nook HD+ 16MB
D70 Pro II Tablet - Generick Mod v6 by darkrickpr [Android 4.1.1]
Logitech Revue - Stock
UG802 - Finless Bob's v1.8

Retired:
TMobile HTC HD2
HTC Inspire 4G

All my devices AND the apps on them: http://www.appbrain.com/user/famewolf

JaCoL_JcL
Old
Thanks Meter 8
This gonna work with non-US country?

famewolf
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCoL_JcL View Post

Google voice only sends in the USA and accounts are only available to people in the USA so no it's not going to work outside USA.

Google Nexus 5 - 32mb - Nexus 5 Experience - CM11 Based R8.5
Google Nexus 4 - 16mb - Nexus 5 Experience - CM11 Based R8.5
B&N Nook HD+ 16MB
D70 Pro II Tablet - Generick Mod v6 by darkrickpr [Android 4.1.1]
Logitech Revue - Stock
UG802 - Finless Bob's v1.8

Retired:
TMobile HTC HD2
HTC Inspire 4G

All my devices AND the apps on them: http://www.appbrain.com/user/famewolf

l3it3r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I like small URLs This is the same as above, just easier to type in
http://tinyurl.com/googVSMS

The app works BEAUTIFULLY BTW

Combining this with the "Swype" keyboard, SMS is so much better now
(SOLD)ATT 8525
(SOLD)T-Mobile G1
ATT Tilt (LOST!! )
(SOLD) ATT Fuze | NATF v5.6B ROM | Kinoma Play | SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 | 2 GB | ZAGG Fullbody

(SOLD) ATT Tilt II | EnergyROM "LEO" | 16GB | Kinoma Play | Android | Ubuntu
[CURRENT] iPhone 4 | JailBroken | Netflix | Hulu+ | etc
Use Google Voice and Google Sync for free text messaging!
SKIN KINOMA PLAY!!

Chris L. of Mobility Digest

msullivan
Old
(Last edited by msullivan; 22nd December 2009 at 05:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3it3r View Post
I like small URLs This is the same as above, just easier to type in
http://tinyurl.com/googVSMS

The app works BEAUTIFULLY BTW

Combining this with the "Swype" keyboard, SMS is so much better now
Thank you for the TinyURL, I'll add it to the top post, and I'm glad it's working well for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCoL_JcL View Post
If Google Voice goes international, I'll try my best to keep it compatible.

gadgetluva
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I'm currently in the UK (live in Chicago), is there any reason this wouldn't work? I just get a communication error. I thought it woudl just use the data connection?

msullivan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
I'm currently in the UK (live in Chicago), is there any reason this wouldn't work? I just get a communication error. I thought it woudl just use the data connection?
Which communication error do you get: bad Google Account username or password, unable to get value of '_rnr_se' key, or unable to send message(s)?

The program tries to open a few URL connections via the OS networking components, and if you have a data connection it really should be working. My only thought is perhaps Google's methods that I am using aren't accessible from outside the USA or something. If that turns out to be the case, I can program a workaround by bouncing the request through my own web server first, that way it originates from a USA IP address.

Ghettobob
Old
(Last edited by Ghettobob; 23rd December 2009 at 02:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Can someone send me an invite for google voice please? PM me please

This app looks really cool. Would be great for me because I have a 300 text/month limit.

adp9626
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the app. I just want to clarify, this app only send SMS via google voice and incoming text is still received as a regular text, is that correct?
Thanks.

Tags
free, google voice, sms, windows mobile