Hey everyone, thanks for the support over the last year. This app was a great learning experience for me, I enjoyed the challenges it presented and learned a lot in the process.
I've now moved on to and Android device (and if you are able, I encourage you to do the same!). Thus, my development and support are both officially finished. This application is wholly open-source, and if anyone out there wants to pick up where I left off, please do (under the conditions that the app remains open-source and you retain my name as an author).
After 5 long months of working on it, Google Voice Easy SMS 2.0 is now released to the public, for free, like always! Send and automatically receive Google Voice SMS right on your phone over your data plan!
I've not been able to find a free application for Windows Mobile that allows easy text messaging (SMS) via your Google Voice account. I wanted something easy to use that also pulls from the phone's contacts list. So since I couldn't locate an app that suites these needs, I created one. After all, Iím a broke college student and I want something to give me free outgoing messages. Speaking of being broke, if you like what you see, consider donating via PayPal. After all, I'm probably saving you a good deal of money on a SMS package from your provider! You can do it right from this page on my website:
Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!
Website & Download Location: http://www.mattslifebytes.com/?cat=7 OR http://tinyurl.com/googVSMS
Please don't mirror the installation file, just link to the above URL. That way current versions get distributed. Thanks!
Important Installation Note:
Once you have downloaded and installed Easy SMS, you'll need
to enter your Google Account information by going to 'Menu' -> 'Settings' -> 'Google Account Settings'. Fill in the info, then do 'Menu' -> 'Check for Messages'.
New In Version 2.0
- Pretty much everything is new!
- Easy SMS is now a full suite application. You can both send and receive Google Voice SMS through it for FREE.
- All bugs with the old 1.x series have been fixed.
- It's free. Who doesn't like free stuff?
- Sends messages via the data connection, meaning your outgoing SMS costs you nothing
- Interfaces with your phone's contacts list
- Connects directly to Google via SSL to send your message, no man-in-the-middle servers that could potentially harvest your Google Account password
- Signature support
- Send to multiple recipients at once
Easy SMS is completely open-source! Want to have a look? Just click through to my website for the download.
- Windows Mobile based device; software has been tested on versions 6, 6.1, and 6.5, but the program may work with other versions.
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5
- A Google Voice account
- Cellular data plan or WiFi connectivity
- If your cellular data plan charges by the kilobyte, be sure to keep track of your usage; this program uses very little bandwidth, but don't try to blame data charges on me
- You must abide by the Google Voice terms of service when using this program
Google has a bad habit of changing the way stuff works without letting people know. If you find that this program suddenly stops working, it could be because Google changed a setting and broke the way this program works. Check the blog site for info on known issues and patch releases. I'll try to post here with that stuff too.
Want to make calls easily via Google Voice from your Windows Mobile phone? Try iDialer and iContact, visit http://supware.net for those amazing programs.
I've tried to be very thorough in testing, but you never know. Find something odd? Tell me how to reproduce the error and I'll try to take care of it. Toss me an e-mail.
Website & Download Location: http://www.mattslifebytes.com/?cat=7