5,600,429 Members 32,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

2 USB into 1 mini USB charger cable?

Tip us?

jb789
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default 2 USB into 1 mini USB charger cable?

Anybody tried charging their phone with one of these dual USB-A to one mini USB-B Y cables? They typically come with external 2.5" drive enclosures to provide enough power for the drive. It could be cool for a fast full 1 amp charge via USB when no better charging option is handy, and certainly better than the majority of crapola mis-labled under-powered chargers out there. I just can't afford to be the guinea pig if such a cable uses proprietary pinouts and will fry the phone.

Rudegar
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 32
amps are pulled not pushed

Ohm's law == (Amp == Volt / resistence (Ohm) )

so your charger could be 1MegaAmps and your device would only draw as much as
volt being 5volts and the resistence would be what the charging system inside
the phone is which is also a constant

all the wallchargers we use for these devices with usb connectors got plenty more juice then .5amps usb provide
hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me
BTW "I can't use a skeleton arm with that"

jb789
Old
(Last edited by jb789; 31st December 2009 at 12:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Thanks for the detail. I've never been good at sorting out volts, watts, amps, etc. Regardless, I'm not concerned about it providing too much juice, mainly that it's a proprietary non-spec cable that may use a proprietary pinout. There's a guy on PPCGeeks who successfully & briefly tried a similar cable without ill effects. Waiting on a promised in-depth test to see if it actually charges faster, etc. I'm still a bit chicken to try it as I can't afford to be phoneless right now.

jb789
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Well, I went ahead & tried it. I loaded nuePowerCPL which showed just under 500 mA, same as a good quality USB cable. Interestingly, a wimpy skinny USB cable delivered only 160 mA. Maybe other PCs will yield better results, but the 2 into 1 cable offers no improvement for me.

jb789
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
I stumbled across a product specifically designed to charge from 2 USB ports:
http://www.ppctechs.com/HTC-Touch-Pr...e_1300-440.htm
I doubt it's any different than the portable hard drive cable I tried. I also read that some newer USB implementations can supply more than 500 mA, so those with different/newer motherboards may still benefit from this charging technique. It would be great if others could load nuePowerCPL and report their results.

Bob1213
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Have you used 5 in 1 USB cable? The USB cable can transfer data and recharge at same time. I have never used so I am looking for the highest quality possible. Also, I would like to thank you all suggestions.

godefroi
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
the resistence would be what the charging system inside the phone is which is also a constant
That's not strictly true; at least some phones have two charging modes; slow (run from a USB port) and normal (when running from the wall). My Rhodium, for example, draws something like 2A when run from the wall charger. I understand that the wall charger has a slightly higher voltage than the 5v usually seen from a USB cable, and it is through this that the phone knows it can charge in "normal" mode.

jb789
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Update: It works, just not enough of a difference to get super excited about:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...69#post1664169