[TUT] Flashing your First GSM 512LEO Rom - With HSPL4 (For Noobs)

Search This thread

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS OR LOOK AT *THIS* THREAD THANKS TO RZASHARP

ALSO DEFINITELY CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE VIDEO GUIDE TO EVERYTHING *HERE* THANKS TO [★]

This Guide is designed ONLY for HD2 with 512 Mbytes ROM. If you are unsure then goto Settings, System, Device Information, Hardware Information and look at the Flash Size.

If you have a LEO with 1024MB ROM then please use *THIS* guide.

Before starting, backup anything you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed as all contacts, emails, texts, notes, Internet BookMarks WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

*ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED A HARDSPL ITS PERMANENT. YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*

*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*
*DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground*
*DO NOT let the Screensaver (on your pc) activate*

Any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone

*FLASH HARDSPL BEFORE FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROMS OR RADIOS*

1. YOUR DEVICE MUST HAVE AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING EACH STAGE

--------------------------------------------------------------

2. FLASH HARDSPL (REQUIRED!! DO THIS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE)

The Original HardSPL Thread is *HERE*

NOTE: If you have Vista or Windows 7, update WMDC to v6.1 *HERE* first
NOTE:
Turn OFF any AntiVirus Program first as it WILL interefere with the flash (there is NO harmful code in the program)

Installing HardSPL4 via ActiveSync with USB Lead (thanks to Bepe)

Note: HardSPL CANNOT be installed via microSD Card.

IMPORTANT: To install/uninstall this HSPL3 there must be any SPL version from this list on your device:
SPL 1.42.0000, SPL 1.62.0000, SPL 1.66.0000, SPL 2.07.0000, SPL 2.08.0000, SPL 2.10.0000, SPL 3.03.000

To Uninstall you can flash a Stock ROM via SD card or use HSPL3 application (You need select 2.08.0000 or 3.03.0000 in the choose screen)

1. Download HardSPL4 package from *HERE* and extract to an empty folder
2. Synch Phone with PC in Windows Mobile!!! It has to be connected to activesync or WMDC via USB cable
3. Run
HSPL4.exe from your pc and read all the text carefully
4. When finished reading click next
in the HardSPL program
5. The program will now check the usb connection and enter bootloader screen (tri colour)
*You can select between
2.08.HSPL 2.08.0000 HSPL3.03.0000 or 3.03.HSPL. This is to avoid people with 1024LEO's installing an incompatable version and bricking their device*

Android / WP7 / MAGLDR don't support HSPL3.03/OSPL3.03.
You need HSPL2.08 to run Android / WP7 / MAGLDR

6. Select 2.08.HSPL OR 3.03HSPL for HardSPL and click NEXT.
7. Your choice will be flashed to your phone.
8. When its finished the phone will reboot.
9. Click ok to terminate program.
10. Congrats, you just flashed HardSPL.

NOTE: You can also install HARDSPL by entering Bootloader mode manually, then running the HSPL4.exe program once you see 'USB' at the bottom of the tri-colour screen.

*Go into BootLoader Mode (turn off phone, then press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press and hold the POWER button. After about 3 seconds the tri-coloured screen should appear). Verify the screen shows the SPL or HardSPL you installed*

To Remove HardSPL from your Device or Flash back a Stock Rom and Stock SPL for Warranty Purposes

You can remove the HSPL by flashing an original SPL from microSD card OR by running the HSPL4 application (You need select 2.08.0000 or 3.03.0000 in the choose screen).
* You can also use the microSD Card method to flash back your Stock Rom and Stock SPL that you originally had on your phone*

- Download a shipped Rom from *HERE*
- Rename the extension to .zip
- open it with winzip and extract the RUU_signed.nbh file to a folder
- Rename it to LEOIMG.nbh and copy it to the root of a microSD card thats been formatted to FAT32
- Insert your storage card into your phone
- Enter Bootloader and follow onscreen instructions to flash

3. DOWNLOAD AND FLASH YOUR PREFERED ROM

NOTE: Check the Roms Thread for any specific Flashing instructions. If there arent any then you can use the following guide.

Flashing Via ActiveSync
1. Download your prefered Rom from the LEO Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer
2. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS!! (this is a precautionary measure and is not compulsory)
3. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC
4a. If your Rom is a .exe (customRUU.exe is already included in the Rom file) then run the file
4b. If your Rom is a .nbh file then run the CustomRUU.exe
from the Roms Folder (if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)
. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom
6. Once phone has gone through the customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards
7. Perform a Hard Reset to clear any leftover data from your previous Rom (see intructions at bottom).
8. Set up phone as required and job done.

Flashing Via MicroSD Card

NOTE (PLEASE READ):
If you flash a Stock Rom via microSD Card then it will overwrite your HardSPL with a stock SPL included in the nbh file. This does not apply to custom roms as they do not include an SPL. BE CAREFUL!!

1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)
2. Download your prefered Rom from the LEO Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your PC
3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to LEOIMG.nbh
4. Copy the LEOIMG.nbh file to the root of your MicroSD Card
5. Plug the MicroSD Card into the phone
6. Reset the device while pressing the volume down button to enter the BootLoader screen, you will first see a tri-color screen with the phone and SPL Information at the top
7. Follow the On Screen instructions to start the update
8. After flash has completed, press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device.

4. FLASH PREFERED RADIO (OPTIONAL)

For more information about compatible Radios go *HERE*

Flashing Via ActiveSync
1. Download your required Radio and rename the extracted file to RUU_Signed.nbh
2. Sync your phone with the PC
3. Run CustomRUU.exe from the Radio's Folder and follow the instructions
(if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)

Flashing via MicroSD Card
Use same method as Flashing a Rom via MicroSD Card

5. JOB DONE. Well Done YOU DID IT!!

Useful Information

How to get into your Bootloader
1. Turn your phone off
2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press and hold the POWER button. After about 3 seconds the tri-coloured screen should appear.
3. To exit Bootloader you need to remove your back cover and pull the battery out for a few seconds, then replace it and press the power button to reboot your phone.

How to perform a HardReset
Hard Resetting deletes ALL personal data and settings and restores your phone to factory default conditions as if you turned on the phone for the first time after purchasing.

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons, then briefly press the POWER button.
2. Continue pressing the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see this message on the screen:
"This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel."
3. Release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
4. Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.

You can also use Clear Storage to reset your device back to factory default settings.
1. On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap Menu > All Settings.
2. On the System tab, tap Clear Storage.
3. Enter “1234” and then tap Yes.

Make sure you back up all your data such as Contacts, Appointments, messages etc or they will be gone forever.

*DISCLAIMER*
I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.

Last edited:

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
FAQ FOR FLASHING HTC HD2 (LEO)

Q. I can't get it working I need help.
A.
If you need help you do need to provide as much detailed information as possible or we cant do anything.

What process are you trying to do? Installing HardSPL? Flashing Radio? Flashing Rom?

List each step you completed and where you got the error with the exact error code you was given if you got one.

Also exactly what operating system do you have on your pc?

If you do not provide this and just leave a message saying "I cant get it working, what do I do?" then I will know you havent looked at the FAQ before posting and you will be referred here.

--------------------------

Q. What is a Radio?
A: The Radio is the Firmware that works between the Operating System and the Cellular Hardware. It handles the Sound, Camera, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Phone Calls, etc. The Radio must be compatable with the ROM's Operating System or you may experience problems with your sound and camera.

Q: What is the difference between SPL, SSPL and HardSPL?
A: SPL (secondary program loader) is part of the firmware that allows your phone to flash Roms, Radios, Splash Screens. Carrier locked so you can only use it to flash Roms from your own carrier.

SSPL (soft secondary program loader) is a temporary way to allow your phone to flash custom roms only (not radios). This doesnt give your phone the protection that HardSPL gives you.

HardSPL (as the name sugests) is installed permanently and allows you to flash anything to your phone. Its patched to protect you against bricking in the event of a bad flash and will let you get back into the bootloader to restore your system when a stock SPL wont. Always the best thing to have.

---------------------------

Q: What is the difference between ROM and RADIO?
A: The Rom is the operating system and included patches, tweaks and programs. The Radio is a seperate part of the firmware on the phone that handles all communation related matters such as signal, gps, bluetooth, camera, wifi and sound. Newer Radios to include improvements or fixes in older version, or even just to compliment an existing Rom or network so a newer Radio isnt neccessarily better. Radios also need to be matched to the correct Rom so you cant just put any Radio and Rom together.

Q: How do Stock ROMS differ from Cooked ROMS?
A: Stock Roms usually have extra 'bloatware' added which take up extra space on the phone. Custom Roms are stripped down to provide more space and most are tweaked to provide a faster more stable Operating System. Every chef is different so you have to look around the forums to see which Rom is best for your needs.

Q: What happens if I flash a Stock Rom via microSD Card?
A:
Flashing a stock rom via microsd card will overwrite your rom, radio, splashscreen and SPL with the ones included on the stock rom. With previous devices I believe the HardSPL couldnt be overwritten this way but as bepe developed this version it must have been done differently. Stock Roms can safely be flashed via activesync and this method will flash the Rom, Radio and SPlashscreen but will not overwrite the HardSPL with a Stock SPL.

Q: Can I download official roms from the HTC Website?
A: Use the following serial number on the respective HTC site (thanks to mooooooa):

World Wide English (WWE) - Serial: HT9AZNW00968
South East Asia (Asian WWE) - Serial:HT01XNW03437
Denmark: (DAN) - Serial: HT9B6NW00167
Norway: (NOR) - Serial: HT9C7NW01234
France: (FRA) - Serial: HT9BLNW00122
Spain: (SPA) - Serial: HT9BDNW00592
Italy: (ITA) - Serial: HT9BCNW00722
Greek: (ELL) - Serial: HT9BMNW00059
Germany: (GER) - Serial: HT9B9NW00374
Netherlands: (NLD) - Serial: HT9AVNW01232
Russian: (RUS) - Serial: HT9BCNW00012
Turkey: (TUR) - Serial: HT9CMNW05766
East Europe: (WWE_EastEurope) - Serial: HT9B3NW02204

Last edited:

GregorVucajnk

Jun 26, 2009
Ljubljana
Hi Guys. I posted the text below a few days ago in the general section/questions thread but it seams the thread is not so popular :).

I just got my hands on the pre-production LEO device (demo device I guess) and I have a couple of questions (this is my first WiMo phone, I have experience with Android and Symbian devices).

Pre-production devices seem to be "unlocked". Besides being SIM unlocked it seems to be SuperCID-ed as well. The latter obviously allows me to flash stock ROMs regardless of the county signature, right?

Now how about cooked ROMs? I persume I would need HardSPL as any other production device? Or does SuperCID have anything to do with the HardSPL?

or

Having the SuperCID-ed device I don't need the GoldCard?

I have tried searching the forum but I believe that my lack of WiMo terminology is slowing me down.

Thanks for any input in advance.

[★]

Dec 13, 2009
England
Hi I was hoping you could answer a few of my queries on flashing ect :)

1. SSPL seems like a better path to go down as it stops any warranty voiding, which means I can still get my phone repaired in the future - good :D. However how come most people always wait for HSPL? Im guessing its because HSPL only has to be ran once or something, so everytime you want a new rom from then on, theres no need to flash so no risk of bricking? Whats the pro's and con's of using HSPL or SSPL ? ( I personally was more keen on SSPL as my warranty isnt affected )

2. How come some rom chefs say that their roms cant be used with SSPL and you have to wait for HSPL ???

3. What are the possible errors/outcomes when something goes wrong when flashing with SSPL? how does a phone become bricked and are there any ways to recover it?

4. Whats with goldcard? is that only when someone needs to flash official roms if there particular leo is branded to a particular GSM? Mine is an unbranded, unlocked model so will I never have to worry about goldcard?

5. If my device does become bricked and there are no ways to unbrick it, what can I do to get a repair ect? someone suggested bunging it in a microwave for 10 seconds and then sending it off under my warraty claiming that I turned the phone off one day, and the next it wouldnt turn on (seems quite a clever idea, but a little extreme)

6. Can someone explain to me all about the radio? it seems to be a key part in flashing. What is it exactly, Im guessing its more complex than the fm radio lol, but I dont understand what it does to the phone, and I see only certain radio versions and compatible with certain rom versions. Also I see that flashing wih SSPL means you can only change OS's and splash screens, so will that create certain problems if you want change the radio version?

7. Im planning on flashing to THIS rom, for speed and performance while keeping some eye candy :p (Also I want to try windows mobile 6.5.3) is this a good choice?

Thanks all my questions for now, I would be SO appreciative if you guys could help me out as flashing is quite a scary concept for a £500 device :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Hi Guys. I posted the text below a few days ago in the general section/questions thread but it seams the thread is not so popular :).

I just got my hands on the pre-production LEO device (demo device I guess) and I have a couple of questions (this is my first WiMo phone, I have experience with Android and Symbian devices).

Pre-production devices seem to be "unlocked". Besides being SIM unlocked it seems to be SuperCID-ed as well. The latter obviously allows me to flash stock ROMs regardless of the county signature, right?

Now how about cooked ROMs? I persume I would need HardSPL as any other production device? Or does SuperCID have anything to do with the HardSPL?

or

Having the SuperCID-ed device I don't need the GoldCard?

I have tried searching the forum but I believe that my lack of WiMo terminology is slowing me down.

Thanks for any input in advance.
If your phone has been CID Unlocked (SuperCID) then you will be able to flash Stock Roms from other carriers but I think you will still need to use SSPL to flash Cooked Roms.

Hope that helps.

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Hi I was hoping you could answer a few of my queries on flashing ect :)

1. SSPL seems like a better path to go down as it stops any warranty voiding, which means I can still get my phone repaired in the future - good :D. However how come most people always wait for HSPL? Im guessing its because HSPL only has to be ran once or something, so everytime you want a new rom from then on, theres no need to flash so no risk of bricking? Whats the pro's and con's of using HSPL or SSPL ? ( I personally was more keen on SSPL as my warranty isnt affected )

2. How come some rom chefs say that their roms cant be used with SSPL and you have to wait for HSPL ???

3. What are the possible errors/outcomes when something goes wrong when flashing with SSPL? how does a phone become bricked and are there any ways to recover it?

4. Whats with goldcard? is that only when someone needs to flash official roms if there particular leo is branded to a particular GSM? Mine is an unbranded, unlocked model so will I never have to worry about goldcard?

5. If my device does become bricked and there are no ways to unbrick it, what can I do to get a repair ect? someone suggested bunging it in a microwave for 10 seconds and then sending it off under my warraty claiming that I turned the phone off one day, and the next it wouldnt turn on (seems quite a clever idea, but a little extreme)

6. Can someone explain to me all about the radio? it seems to be a key part in flashing. What is it exactly, Im guessing its more complex than the fm radio lol, but I dont understand what it does to the phone, and I see only certain radio versions and compatible with certain rom versions. Also I see that flashing wih SSPL means you can only change OS's and splash screens, so will that create certain problems if you want change the radio version?

7. Im planning on flashing to THIS rom, for speed and performance while keeping some eye candy :p (Also I want to try windows mobile 6.5.3) is this a good choice?

Thanks all my questions for now, I would be SO appreciative if you guys could help me out as flashing is quite a scary concept for a £500 device :rolleyes:
1. HardSPL is always the best way to go if available as once you have it on your phone theres minimal chance of bricking than flashing without it as you will always be able to get back into the bootloader to flash a stock rom if anything goes wrong. Even if you put HardSPL on your phone you can always flash back a stock SPL in the event you need to return it for warantee purposes.

2. I would guess that those Roms include maybe a Splash Screen or Radio which cant be flashed using SSPL.

3. Theres always a chance that something can go wrong in whatever you do. HardSPL gives you the ability to get back into the bootloader and flash a stock rom if you need to recover your device.

4. GoldCard is for flashing Stock Roms from other carriers. If your phone is unlocked then that means it is sim unlocked and not carrier unlocked (SuperCID) therefore you would still need to use goldcard if you wanted to flash a Rom that isnt directly from your carrier.

5. If your phone does become bricked and you dont have HardSPL to recover it then there are many ways you can try to get a new one under warantee. My favourite is pouring sulphuric acid over it and saying aliens broke into your house and tried mating with it :p but you can go with your own idea if you want to lol.

6. The Radio really isnt a radio haha. Its a seperate firmware that handles all the communication related parts of the phone. This includes the signal, bluetooth, wifi, sound, camera and gps. Until HardSPL is released the only way to change the Radio is to flash a stock rom which always includes a radio via goldcard method.

7. Thats the cooked Rom I flashed on my phone yesterday and its a very fast and stable Rom with no bugs that I can see. The download exe file includes the SSPL so unless you want to change the radio first its just a case of synching and flashing.

Hope these answers helped and good luck with your flash. The first one is always the hardest but do everything by the book and you shouldnt have any problems :)

[★]

Dec 13, 2009
England
Thanks for all the help, Im glad I didnt flash with SSPL just yet, I think I will wait for HSPL as it seems that I can still get my warranty back with it :) (but I just thought, what if you had to send it in for it not turning on or something, and they found a way to get it running, they would then see the spl was changed as I would not have had the chance to change it back)

4. GoldCard is for flashing Stock Roms from other carriers. If your phone is unlocked then that means it is sim unlocked and not carrier unlocked (SuperCID) therefore you would still need to use goldcard if you wanted to flash a Rom that isnt directly from your carrier.

that isnt directly from your carrier? what do you mean, mines totally unbranded and sim free ect, so It doesnt come from a carrier, meaning I dont need goldcard right?

(Heres another question while your around, I went to send a massive text to all my contacts, ( I changed it in the registry so I could have more than 10 recipetents so thats not the problem) wishing them a happy new year, and It appears that it is not working, even after applying the hotfix :( some messages are in the outbox and some in the sent items folder. Whats with that?

Thanks so much for answering, especially this early in the year/morning (haha) happy new year to you sir!

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Thanks for all the help, Im glad I didnt flash with SSPL just yet, I think I will wait for HSPL as it seems that I can still get my warranty back with it :) (but I just thought, what if you had to send it in for it not turning on or something, and they found a way to get it running, they would then see the spl was changed as I would not have had the chance to change it back)

that isnt directly from your carrier? what do you mean, mines totally unbranded and sim free ect, so It doesnt come from a carrier, meaning I dont need goldcard right?

(Heres another question while your around, I went to send a massive text to all my contacts, ( I changed it in the registry so I could have more than 10 recipetents so thats not the problem) wishing them a happy new year, and It appears that it is not working, even after applying the hotfix :( some messages are in the outbox and some in the sent items folder. Whats with that?

Thanks so much for answering, especially this early in the year/morning (haha) happy new year to you sir!
If it was sim free then you might be ok flashing any stock rom but I cant garentee it. It will soon tell you if you cant so give it a go.

Might just be overloaded as there are quite a few people texting at this time and I havent been able to send a text on my phone for the last hour lol. Thats why I always send mine out early to beat the queue ;)

Happy new year to you too I hope you have a great one :D

[★]

Dec 13, 2009
England
If it was sim free then you might be ok flashing any stock rom but I cant garentee it. It will soon tell you if you cant so give it a go.

Might just be overloaded as there are quite a few people texting at this time and I havent been able to send a text on my phone for the last hour lol. Thats why I always send mine out early to beat the queue ;)

Happy new year to you too I hope you have a great one :D

ok maybe thats it :) but whatever, I might try and apply some fixes for the sms ive seen around here. Hey when do you think the HSPL will be out, Im itching to flash my device :D

dixie dean

Jan 1, 2010
Official ROM upgrade - error 260

I have downloaded the official 1.48 upgrade exe from HTC. I have a choice of computers, win 7 64 bit or win xp 32 bit on which to do the update. I have tried both following the instructions within the package and both get to the verification stage and stop with error 260 - no connection. Can anyone tell me precisely what to do to get around this?

My HTC is a purchased unlocked device and I can explore the 16 GB card via Explorer on either PC

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
I have downloaded the official 1.48 upgrade exe from HTC. I have a choice of computers, win 7 64 bit or win xp 32 bit on which to do the update. I have tried both following the instructions within the package and both get to the verification stage and stop with error 260 - no connection. Can anyone tell me precisely what to do to get around this?

My HTC is a purchased unlocked device and I can explore the 16 GB card via Explorer on either PC
I would recommend using the windows xp system to flash as its more stable.

What method did you use to flash the Rom? You need to do it via GoldCard method described just follow the link in the first post and follow all the instructions to the letter.

dixie dean

Jan 1, 2010
MSkip
I was following the instructions given in the ROM Upgrade software downloaded from the HTC site. It undertakes a verification of your phone software, but for some reason keeps saying it cannot connect with it. I had it connected via a USB cable. Maybe I need to speak with HTC on Monday.

I thought it might be Kaspersky stopping it, but switching that off didn't fix it. Perhaps I haven't got the computer sync'd correctly with the phone. Its not very obvious.

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
MSkip
I was following the instructions given in the ROM Upgrade software downloaded from the HTC site. It undertakes a verification of your phone software, but for some reason keeps saying it cannot connect with it. I had it connected via a USB cable. Maybe I need to speak with HTC on Monday.

I thought it might be Kaspersky stopping it, but switching that off didn't fix it. Perhaps I haven't got the computer sync'd correctly with the phone. Its not very obvious.
Even if you have an unlocked phone you may still have to use the goldcard method to flash a stock rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS OR LOOK AT *THIS* THREAD THANKS TO RZASHARP

ALSO DEFINITELY CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE VIDEO GUIDE TO EVERYTHING *HERE* THANKS TO [★]

This Guide is designed ONLY for HD2 with 512 Mbytes ROM. If you are unsure then goto Settings, System, Device Information, Hardware Information and look at the Flash Size.

If you have a LEO with 1024MB ROM then please use *THIS* guide.

Before starting, backup anything you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed as all contacts, emails, texts, notes, Internet BookMarks WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

*ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED A HARDSPL ITS PERMANENT. YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*

*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*
    *DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground*
    *DO NOT let the Screensaver (on your pc) activate*

Any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone

*FLASH HARDSPL BEFORE FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROMS OR RADIOS*

1. YOUR DEVICE MUST HAVE AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING EACH STAGE

2. FLASH HARDSPL (REQUIRED!! DO THIS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE)

The Original HardSPL Thread is *HERE*

NOTE: If you have Vista or Windows 7, update WMDC to v6.1 *HERE* first
    NOTE:
    Turn OFF any AntiVirus Program first as it WILL interefere with the flash (there is NO harmful code in the program)

Installing HardSPL4 via ActiveSync with USB Lead (thanks to Bepe)

Note: HardSPL CANNOT be installed via microSD Card.

IMPORTANT: To install/uninstall this HSPL3 there must be any SPL version from this list on your device:
    SPL 1.42.0000, SPL 1.62.0000, SPL 1.66.0000, SPL 2.07.0000, SPL 2.08.0000, SPL 2.10.0000, SPL 3.03.000

To Uninstall you can flash a Stock ROM via SD card or use HSPL3 application (You need select 2.08.0000 or 3.03.0000 in the choose screen)

1. Download HardSPL4 package from *HERE* and extract to an empty folder
    2. Synch Phone with PC in Windows Mobile!!! It has to be connected to activesync or WMDC via USB cable
    3. Run
    HSPL4.exe from your pc and read all the text carefully
    4. When finished reading click next
    in the HardSPL program
    5. The program will now check the usb connection and enter bootloader screen (tri colour)
    *You can select between
    2.08.HSPL 2.08.0000 HSPL3.03.0000 or 3.03.HSPL. This is to avoid people with 1024LEO's installing an incompatable version and bricking their device*

Android / WP7 / MAGLDR don't support HSPL3.03/OSPL3.03.
    You need HSPL2.08 to run Android / WP7 / MAGLDR

6. Select 2.08.HSPL OR 3.03HSPL for HardSPL and click NEXT.
    7. Your choice will be flashed to your phone.
    8. When its finished the phone will reboot.
    9. Click ok to terminate program.
    10. Congrats, you just flashed HardSPL.

NOTE: You can also install HARDSPL by entering Bootloader mode manually, then running the HSPL4.exe program once you see 'USB' at the bottom of the tri-colour screen.

*Go into BootLoader Mode (turn off phone, then press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press and hold the POWER button. After about 3 seconds the tri-coloured screen should appear). Verify the screen shows the SPL or HardSPL you installed*

To Remove HardSPL from your Device or Flash back a Stock Rom and Stock SPL for Warranty Purposes

You can remove the HSPL by flashing an original SPL from microSD card OR by running the HSPL4 application (You need select 2.08.0000 or 3.03.0000 in the choose screen).
    * You can also use the microSD Card method to flash back your Stock Rom and Stock SPL that you originally had on your phone*

- Download a shipped Rom from *HERE*
    - Rename the extension to .zip
    - open it with winzip and extract the RUU_signed.nbh file to a folder
    - Rename it to LEOIMG.nbh and copy it to the root of a microSD card thats been formatted to FAT32
    - Insert your storage card into your phone
    - Enter Bootloader and follow onscreen instructions to flash

3. DOWNLOAD AND FLASH YOUR PREFERED ROM

NOTE: Check the Roms Thread for any specific Flashing instructions. If there arent any then you can use the following guide.

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    1. Download your prefered Rom from the LEO Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer
    2. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS!! (this is a precautionary measure and is not compulsory)
    3. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC
    4a. If your Rom is a .exe (customRUU.exe is already included in the Rom file) then run the file
    4b. If your Rom is a .nbh file then run the CustomRUU.exe
    from the Roms Folder (if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)
    . Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom
    6. Once phone has gone through the customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards
    7. Perform a Hard Reset to clear any leftover data from your previous Rom (see intructions at bottom).
    8. Set up phone as required and job done.

Flashing Via MicroSD Card

NOTE (PLEASE READ):
    If you flash a Stock Rom via microSD Card then it will overwrite your HardSPL with a stock SPL included in the nbh file. This does not apply to custom roms as they do not include an SPL. BE CAREFUL!!

1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)
    2. Download your prefered Rom from the LEO Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your PC
    3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to LEOIMG.nbh
    4. Copy the LEOIMG.nbh file to the root of your MicroSD Card
    5. Plug the MicroSD Card into the phone
    6. Reset the device while pressing the volume down button to enter the BootLoader screen, you will first see a tri-color screen with the phone and SPL Information at the top
    7. Follow the On Screen instructions to start the update
    8. After flash has completed, press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device.

4. FLASH PREFERED RADIO (OPTIONAL)

For more information about compatible Radios go *HERE*

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    1. Download your required Radio and rename the extracted file to RUU_Signed.nbh
    2. Sync your phone with the PC
    3. Run CustomRUU.exe from the Radio's Folder and follow the instructions
    (if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)

Flashing via MicroSD Card
    Use same method as Flashing a Rom via MicroSD Card

5. JOB DONE. Well Done YOU DID IT!!

Useful Information

How to get into your Bootloader
    1. Turn your phone off
    2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN then Press and hold the POWER button. After about 3 seconds the tri-coloured screen should appear.
    3. To exit Bootloader you need to remove your back cover and pull the battery out for a few seconds, then replace it and press the power button to reboot your phone.

How to perform a HardReset
    Hard Resetting deletes ALL personal data and settings and restores your phone to factory default conditions as if you turned on the phone for the first time after purchasing.

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons, then briefly press the POWER button.
    2. Continue pressing the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see this message on the screen:
    "This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel."
    3. Release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
    4. Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.

You can also use Clear Storage to reset your device back to factory default settings.
    1. On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap Menu > All Settings.
    2. On the System tab, tap Clear Storage.
    3. Enter “1234” and then tap Yes.

Make sure you back up all your data such as Contacts, Appointments, messages etc or they will be gone forever.

*DISCLAIMER*
    I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.
    FAQ FOR FLASHING HTC HD2 (LEO)

Q. I can't get it working I need help.
    A.
    If you need help you do need to provide as much detailed information as possible or we cant do anything.

What process are you trying to do? Installing HardSPL? Flashing Radio? Flashing Rom?

List each step you completed and where you got the error with the exact error code you was given if you got one.

Also exactly what operating system do you have on your pc?

If you do not provide this and just leave a message saying "I cant get it working, what do I do?" then I will know you havent looked at the FAQ before posting and you will be referred here.

Q. What is a Radio?
    A: The Radio is the Firmware that works between the Operating System and the Cellular Hardware. It handles the Sound, Camera, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, Phone Calls, etc. The Radio must be compatable with the ROM's Operating System or you may experience problems with your sound and camera.

Q: What is the difference between SPL, SSPL and HardSPL?
    A: SPL (secondary program loader) is part of the firmware that allows your phone to flash Roms, Radios, Splash Screens. Carrier locked so you can only use it to flash Roms from your own carrier.

SSPL (soft secondary program loader) is a temporary way to allow your phone to flash custom roms only (not radios). This doesnt give your phone the protection that HardSPL gives you.

HardSPL (as the name sugests) is installed permanently and allows you to flash anything to your phone. Its patched to protect you against bricking in the event of a bad flash and will let you get back into the bootloader to restore your system when a stock SPL wont. Always the best thing to have.

Q: What is the difference between ROM and RADIO?
    A: The Rom is the operating system and included patches, tweaks and programs. The Radio is a seperate part of the firmware on the phone that handles all communation related matters such as signal, gps, bluetooth, camera, wifi and sound. Newer Radios to include improvements or fixes in older version, or even just to compliment an existing Rom or network so a newer Radio isnt neccessarily better. Radios also need to be matched to the correct Rom so you cant just put any Radio and Rom together.

Q: How do Stock ROMS differ from Cooked ROMS?
    A: Stock Roms usually have extra 'bloatware' added which take up extra space on the phone. Custom Roms are stripped down to provide more space and most are tweaked to provide a faster more stable Operating System. Every chef is different so you have to look around the forums to see which Rom is best for your needs.

Q: What happens if I flash a Stock Rom via microSD Card?
    A:
    Flashing a stock rom via microsd card will overwrite your rom, radio, splashscreen and SPL with the ones included on the stock rom. With previous devices I believe the HardSPL couldnt be overwritten this way but as bepe developed this version it must have been done differently. Stock Roms can safely be flashed via activesync and this method will flash the Rom, Radio and SPlashscreen but will not overwrite the HardSPL with a Stock SPL.

Q: Can I download official roms from the HTC Website?
    A: Use the following serial number on the respective HTC site (thanks to mooooooa):

World Wide English (WWE) - Serial: HT9AZNW00968
    South East Asia (Asian WWE) - Serial:HT01XNW03437
    Denmark: (DAN) - Serial: HT9B6NW00167
    Norway: (NOR) - Serial: HT9C7NW01234
    France: (FRA) - Serial: HT9BLNW00122
    Spain: (SPA) - Serial: HT9BDNW00592
    Italy: (ITA) - Serial: HT9BCNW00722
    Greek: (ELL) - Serial: HT9BMNW00059
    Germany: (GER) - Serial: HT9B9NW00374
    Netherlands: (NLD) - Serial: HT9AVNW01232
    Russian: (RUS) - Serial: HT9BCNW00012
    Turkey: (TUR) - Serial: HT9CMNW05766
    East Europe: (WWE_EastEurope) - Serial: HT9B3NW02204

Hi, I'm new to the HD2 and ROMs. I too got one just before Xmas, and to be fair its been a pile of ****. Mines a Voda and Rom 1.43.405.1 (70124) WWE and Radio 2.04.50.22_2

Is this a special Voda ROM?

I want to install the WWE 1.66.405 Official ROM. Using this forum I managed to download it, using a non-Voda serial num.

What I want to do is to install this ROM (hoping my reception and SMS will then be better) but as Voda wont support it, I need to be able to return it back to 1.43 if I need service etc.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to both upgrade to 1.66 and be able to regress to 1.43 if needed?

.... Really?
    READ THE POST ABOVE YOU!!!!!! @_@
    YOUR ROM IS A NORMAL STOCK ROM MSKIP SAID THAT ON THE POST ABOVE YOURS

AND IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO FLASH ROMS, READ THIS THREAD, THATS WHAT ITS ABOUT!!!

(Also, something you may not have known, installing a newer rom wont improve reception, you need to install a new radio for that WHICH IS ALSO SAID AT THE START OF THIS THREAD!!!)
    Am i right in thinking if i just do the standard flash it'll only overwrite the bootloader with 3.03 and i'll be stuck there yes ?

(HD2 originally on T-Mobile UK

nope. flash without hspl and the flash will simply fail saying not for your phone. however, if hspl IS installed and you flash from sd, then hspl WILL allow spl to upgrade and THEN run the checks which will fail because hspl was jjust removed, and so the flash will fail leaving "rom update error" as you suggested.

My pleasure bud ;). I haven't tried this so can't be 100% certain, but if you just want the latest 3.14 rom you can always just flash the rom normally using hspl

nope. only way to get 3.14 on branded hd2 is goldcard. use hspl and you will get 50meg free RAM plus unstable phone.
    the bit about returning using your original stock at any time is correct. spl 3.03.0000 will downgrade simply by flashing over usb (so long as its correct stock rom and no hspl)
    Need help, i want to flash stock RUU_Leo_S_HTC_WWE_3.14.405.2_Radio_15.42.50.11U_2.15.50.14_LEO_S_Ship.exe , and i've got error message:
    ERROR [294] : INVALID VENDER ID
    Thid Update Utility cannot be used for your PDA phone. Please check your update utility.
    HDa6-PC:45567-HUEbc5687PC:455670
    Click 'Exit' to Quit

What should i do?

ON Bootloader screen i have
    PB81100 HX-BC
    SPL-1.42.0000 XE
    MicroP(LED) 0x05
    MicroP(TOUCH) 0x40

Please Help.

This happens if you try to install a STOCK ROM which is not designed for your HD2. In your case English version on a non English HD2.

- install HSPL3.03 by using HSPL4
    - download LeoAdvancedRUU
    - extract your downloaded RUU_Leo_S_HTC_WWE_3.14.405.2_Radio_15.42.50.11U_2.15.50.14_LEO_S_Ship.exe file by using 7-zip or something similar
    - copy LeoAdvancedRUU.exe and the extracted RUU_signed.nbh file to the same folder
    - run LeoAdvancedRUU as Administrator and flash RUU_signed.nbh file with option 1 (Regular RUU)