Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,215 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Incoming Phone during data connection

Tip us?

alex fung
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Question Incoming Phone during data connection

With my older phone, if I have a GPRS data connection, incoming voice calls will be rejected (busy). I was told it is the same with all phones.

Can HD2 make or accept a voice phone call when it has a GRPS connection? Or an HSPA connect? With the My Location, Weather, and Direct Push, I can neve tell when my phone has a data connection. Does it mean I may be missing calls all the time?
dgtel2 Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have no problems with my telco. They will "downgrade" my data connection whenever a call is coming thru.

blanco360
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nope - works fine for me. Will be using MSN and then a phone call will over ride it

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex fung View Post
I was told it is the same with all phones.
Somebody didn't know what they were talking about! You've been misinformed mate
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

lude219
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex fung View Post
With my older phone, if I have a GPRS data connection, incoming voice calls will be rejected (busy). I was told it is the same with all phones.
what phone would do that? You wouldn't happen to be with Verizon before, would you? My gf has a blackberry on verizon and whenever she's using the net incoming call would be rejected. I don't know any gsm phone would do that. I've had 5-6 GSM phones and they would allow incoming call and suspend your current web until the call ended.

lorin.bute
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well, voice calls are made on a certain frequencies and data connections are made on others.

Ex: in my country the data connection is on the 1900/2100 freq, while the voice calls are on the rest.

So it should never be a problem. I believe its also the ability of the phone to use different freq for different tasks.

alex fung
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks. I can now use the data connections without worry
dgtel2 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Why not you try yourself. COnnect to data constantly and make a call to your number. What will happen...?

Dr.Sid
Old
Thanks Meter 5
3G and GPRS/Edge won't block calls. But you can still use old fashion data-call. While I doubt any provider would provide data connectivity this way, I can't rule it out.