[CANCELLED] XDA-Marketplace (Source-code released & attached)

Search This thread

yngvebn

May 13, 2008
Oslo
UPDATE - 20.10.2010
--------------------
Due to overwhelming interest in the source-code I've decided to attach it here in the frist post.

Maybe some of you can collaborate, or do your own twist on it.

Some specs:

ASP.NET MVC2 (.NET 4 & C#)
Entity Framework as ORM
SQL Server 2008 (Express used for development)
Scripts for creating database and inserting some dummy-data is included.

Don't expect clean and tidy code. :p Some places it's a real mess...
Enjoy!

UPDATE - 12.10.2010
--------------------

The reason for updating this first post is unfortunately not the reasons I hoped it would.

I'm sorry to say I no longer have the time or energy to uphold the devotion and work required to finish the marketplace site. Being in a full time job, having a life and everything that includes simply does not allow for a project of this scale to be developed in a timely fashion. It's with regret I'm prematurely ending the project, and I'm sorry for disappointing you by doing so.

In addition to the lack of time, it's also a lack of motivation - reason being the introduction of WP7, already existing similar solutions for Android and Apple has it's closed-up AppStore.. I'm just not sure I see the potential I once did.

If anyone would like to have a look at the projectcode, I will more than happily zip it down along with the database script. Please PM me if you're interested.

Once again, I'm really sorry.

Attachments

• Xda-Downloads.rar
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:

Exlo

Dec 3, 2009
Kopervik
[ANNOUNCED] XDA-Marketplace

Hi all!
I have mentioned this in another thread, but wanted to hilight this request.

I`m woundering if there is a chance that some one could make a "XDA Markedplace" for the phone?
So all Themes, tweakes, programs and other could be collected in one place:)

Would also like to see something similar on this site. All in one place!
Or an external site with categories. Graphics, info and download on the program, tweak, theme etc, and discussion her on the board.

I dont know if some of this things are doable, but i would really like so se somehing similar:)

-Exlo

Last edited:

the_b00gyman

Jul 21, 2009
a marketplace would be nice, because you could highlight programs as functionalable or not to secific devices or OS!

Electzik

Nov 30, 2009
Rennes
Great idea, moreover, nothing to pay to Microsoft for a app on this kind of marketplace, so we can imagine to put others free apps (which are not on the microsoft marketplace)

_Edd_

Aug 16, 2008
Vilnius
Ok, so lets say someone will create a new wm appstore/marketplace, which features do you want it to have? So far:
1. Many apps (unlike MS marketplace), including from xda developers.
2. Requirements by OS/tested with devices.
3. Accessible from browser and/or WM app.

What else?

jallajalla

Mar 23, 2007
Ok, so lets say someone will create a new wm appstore/marketplace, which features do you want it to have? So far:
1. Many apps (unlike MS marketplace), including from xda developers.
2. Requirements by OS/tested with devices.
3. Accessible from browser and/or WM app.

What else?

4. Screenshots of application

I think this is a great idea. The xda forum is hard to navigate since there's no categories. The forum should only be used as support and beta.

Martin

Exlo

Dec 3, 2009
Kopervik
the main idea was to gather all apps, tweaks etc. in one place since its very hard to navigate in the forum without categories.
Would also like to se a section her in the forum(or external) with categories and graphics.

I have tried to write this many many times, why and how this could be done, but my english is so poor, that i almost couldnt read it my self:p

Last edited:

stefanclark

Nov 13, 2008
doesn't sound hard to achieve, there are so many windows mobile app sites but none it seems really stand out.
If we can create a website which can be accessed via pc, mobile friendly website and also a wm app then we have a winning combination. All we need to start is some web hosting - and that's not exactly expensive. Surely we have enough people on the forum who have the right skills to make and design the various bits.

yngvebn

May 13, 2008
Oslo
I'm on it :)

Anyone feel like whipping up some design sketches?

What I have planned so far:

- No login required unless you want to upload your own apps or leave comments/ratings on apps
- Only freeware/donation-apps will be allowed in the beginning
- No limitiations regarding phonemodel or os
- Of course no regions ;)
- Anyone can upload their own apps, update with new versions.
- Commenting and rating funcionality
- Screenshots

At the moment I've set up the database structure, and most of the "business-logic" layer of the application, but no web-interface has been done yet.

I've written the service-layer with an open API in mind - That way we might encourage the more savvy WinMo-developers to create an app for the phone, since I'm no good at that.. I'll make a simple mobile-friendly verison of the web, and I'm also implementing automatic QR code-generation and support for Microsoft Tags for easy scanning and downloading to your mobilephone.

When I get closer to finish, I'll probably open a new thread announcing it, but for now, let's keep the discussion going here. :)

derScheich

Dec 3, 2009
Berlin
wet-media.de
Anyone feel like whipping up some design sketches?
I was kind of bored.. is this what it could look like (yes, I like green xD)?

xdaMarket.png

Jibreil

Jan 11, 2007
Mumbai
I was kind of bored.. is this what it could look like (yes, I like green xD)?

xdaMarket.png

I think it looks lovely, could have a block above the categories showing "What's new" "Most Popular" Etc.

+ The App should have a feature to check compatibility of App with device + OS + Custom OS. - This is a must included feature.
+ Ability to add extra sources

Last edited:

Metroid Prime

Jan 3, 2010
Excelent idea guys, the cydia compentence is completly necesary for a new interest, and possibilities for HD2 and powerful hardware and screen multytouch

good idea, keep it up!

greetings from spain!!

waterskier33

Mar 18, 2008
Jihlava
Big fan of this project. I would call it the best possible marketplace because of all the support you can get on this forum and although the quality of apps in this forum, but till now it has been quite uncomfortable to follow all these great projects. This could be awesome.:D

bramgg

May 12, 2009
This is one BRILLIANT idea. +5 for this project. :D

Last edited:

redmanmark86

Jul 7, 2009
i got to say i think this is the best thing i have ever seen and not only that it will force microsft marketplace to lower its prices, improve and be mroe free like andriod/apple app stores....

can i just ask one thing, could you have phone specific as well for applications like BSB Tweak and all those Touch X cabs and so on, and i was thinking it would also be great if the martketplace had a customizable skin, think of the fun people could have creating their own looks :D