Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

anyone planning on using Nexus on AT&T

Tip us?

dsarch21
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default anyone planning on using Nexus on AT&T

I have a magic (from rogers, so it works on At&t 3g) but I really really wanna get on board with the Nexus.

I am in NJ so TMo says 3g coverage is good, but i am just skeptical.
plus i have a family plan on at&t, wife uses iphone, doubt i could talk her into giving it up...

anyone gonna use the nexus on at&t and go without 3g???

deprecate
Old
(Last edited by deprecate; 5th January 2010 at 10:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
I will be replacing my iphone with the nexus tomorrow when the n1 arrives. Because of how awful 3g is in my area (live in seattle work in redmond) I have been using edge almost exclusively. Funnily enough, my dropped calls have ceased after the 3g=>edge move. Go figure

I plan to keep my iphone handy and see just how painful the n1 is without the ability to attempt 3g if I really want it or need it (maps come to mind and so does pandora though both have been acceptable on edge thus far).

Perhaps I can call ATT and have them remove 3g from my account saving me some money each month.

jchap2k
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I'm going to try it out on AT&T to see if/(how much) I miss 3g. If I can't get along without it, I'll just switch to T-Mobile. I live in Dallas so both AT&T and T-Mobile have full coverage.
Device: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3
ROM: Stock, rooted
Carrier: AT&T

deprecate
Old
Thanks Meter 8
For me, the people I talk to the most are on ATT and it would cost me more to continue my phone habits on a different provider than to just stick with ATT. Moving back to T-Mobile is not an option at this point. I really do wish I had kept my G1 when I made that move

dsarch21
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
yeah, i was thinking the same thing, just try my non-3g life out and go from there.....at least i'm not alone!

like you said, i have a family / friends all on att, so i might cost more if i were on tmo now...

thakns for input, good luck to us!

jdubdieslo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a g1 & mytouch on at&t just unlocked it. i dont mind having 2G only cuz my battery life is increased and when i get home i have wifi so i just attach to it to get better speeds.. i plan on getting the nexus one when i have the money for it. i didnt know the rogers phones are at&T compatible. anyone wanna sell or trade devices? PM ME

thanks
Samsung Captivate
Samsung Epic
Samsung Vibrant
HTC Incredible
HTC Nexus One
HTC Mytough 3G
HTC G1

Jackasaur
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I hated having my iPhone on Tmobile, no 3G kinda killed the use of an iPhone, the call quality wasn't that great, and though it was handy, it was a bit annoying knowing that I had no 3G. I sold it for $370, used that money to buy a N1 :]
-T-Mobile HTC ONE
-32GB Internal
-Android 4.1.2
-TrickDroid

Phones I had:
Kyrocera KX1, Samsung Alias, Nokia N95, Mytouch 3g, iPhone 3G 8GB, iPhone 3G 16GB, Nexus One, HTC HD2, iPhone 4, HTC G1, Samsung Vibrant, HTC Sensation, White Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4, Nexus 4, HTC One

mrbkkt1
Old
Thanks Meter 98
I have an xperia X1a.... and am probably going to buy a nexus.. I"m tired of people w/ cheap, crappy phones having way better internet speed than me.
BUT.. I will make sure that X10 really isn't tmo 3g compatible.
Current devices: Galaxy Note 2 Stock,Nexus 4-stock, galaxy tab 2-7, galaxy note 10.1
Previous devices:
Sensation 4G Bruce cm10 jellybean, Asus TF300, Blackberry Playbook, Nexus 1, SE Xperia x1a,HTC Kaiser,Nokia N80,Sony Ericsson W800, Nokia 9500, Motorolla MPX 300 (winmo3), and dozens more. also have an iphone 3g and ipad2 in the family.

karatche
Old
Thanks Meter 9
WHy won't the n1 get 3G- any idea when they might change that?

dsarch21
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
well, the n1 doesn't have the 850 mhz frequency that att runs there 3g on.
the n1 is coming to verizon in the spring and will have 3g......i honestly don't think n1 will ever get to att, especially since google is obviously battling with iphone.....

i really would love the n1, but i honestly don't know i could give up my magic with 3g on ATT......i was just downloading at 1600 kb/sec....pretty damn fast.

the 2g speed is only like 180 kb/sec.