Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 44,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is App Storage Limit a thing of the past?

Tip us?

Blueman101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Is App Storage Limit a thing of the past?

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/01/0...storage-limit/

cboy007
Old
Thanks Meter 33
If you had storage limit before, you could root your phone and do apps2sd. You'll be able to do the same with the N1. Google's just making it official for non-daring people soon.

But no one at XDA really ever had a storage limit
DEVICE: HTC Sensation 4G on Cincinnati Bell
ROM: CM10
Radio: 11.76A.3504.00U_11.24A.3504.31_M
RIL: HTC-RIL 4.0.0037HMQ
Firmware: 3.33 Universal
Recovery: 4EXT Touch Latest
PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL

Old Android Devices: T-Mobile G1, HTC Nexus One
Amen. http://six6sicks.wordpress.com/2011/...now-2008-2011/

eaglesteve
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy007 View Post
If you had storage limit before, you could root your phone and do apps2sd. You'll be able to do the same with the N1. Google's just making it official for non-daring people soon.
Cool. With 32GB storage card this should'nt be an issue then. Currently my music alone takes close to 20GB on my 3GS.

Is anybody using a 32GB storage card yet?

down8
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I haven't found one for sale yet. Only 16GB.

I rarely listen to any of the music on my 8B/C6 card. Pandora, and hopefully someday - XM, keep me in-tune.

-bZj
Google Galaxy Nexus - GSM, 16GB, rooted
Asus EeePad Transformer 32GB - rooted 3.2, 1.42GHz (Blades kernel), keyboard dock, 16GB microSD
HTC HD2 - various tytung GB/ICS or WP7 ROMs, battery boost case, 8GB microSD
T-Mobile G2x - returned; Samsung Vibrant - traded; T-Mobile G1 - sold; XDA Trion - sold; Axim x50 - for sale
Grammar? Spelling? Punctuation? In the Dream section? Never heard of it!

MontAlbert
Old
Thanks Meter 153
with that much memory there is no need to do apps2sd- cyanogen has even stated as such. My magic has 228MB i think and i have about 150 apps on it and still at least 30% free.....
T-mobile G1- Sold
HTC Magic 32A- Sold
Nexus One- Sold
T-mobile HD2- Sold
HTC Inspire 4G- Backup phone
HTC Sensation- Sold due to HTC giving dev's the middle finger and dodgy build quality
Samsung Galaxy Nexus Sold due to crappy camera
LG Nexus 4 Given to the Missus
LG Nexus 5 Backup phone

OnePlus One Gotta love it- if only everyone could get one
follow me on Twitter

sthoeft
Old
Thanks Meter 2
To the one who already have a N1: How much internal memory is free after a clean factory reset (Hard reset)?
Philips Nino > Compaq Ipaq > MDA Compact > vergessen > Sony Xperia X1 > Nexus one > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S4 active > Sony Xperia Z1

saint327
Old
Thanks Meter 2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=614884

carnegie0107
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Yeah... I currently have a 512mb ext partition on my sdcard in my Dream, and I have 200+ apps, and I'm not even close to thinking about getting close to running out of room. Until we start seeing apps that are 10mb+ on the Market (and I mean lots of those apps), we are NEVER going to worry about running out of room for apps on the N1. 512mb for apps is more than overkill. And, I'm sure we may see more huge apps on the Market in the future, but with Google releasing "official apps2sd", the answer to your question is yes. Forget about app size. Install anything and everything you want. You'll never run out of room.

sthoeft
Old
Thanks Meter 2
We'll not have 512 MB for apps in the N1, just about 150 MB are free to use after a hardreset by the user, the rest is filled by os and other stuff.
Philips Nino > Compaq Ipaq > MDA Compact > vergessen > Sony Xperia X1 > Nexus one > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S4 active > Sony Xperia Z1

carnegie0107
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoeft View Post
We'll not have 512 MB for apps in the N1, just about 150 MB are free to use after a hardreset by the user, the rest is filled by os and other stuff.
Of course not the entire on-board memory is available to apps. Part of it is already filled. the point is.... it's a ridiculously huge amount of storage, however you cut it. By the time you fill it up (which will be a looong time), we'll have the official apps on sd from Google.