Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 52,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kaiser Kernel Thread - ONLY FOR KERNEL AND BUGS

Tip us?

l1q1d
Old
(Last edited by l1q1d; 1st December 2010 at 08:01 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Default Kaiser Kernel Thread - ONLY FOR KERNEL AND BUGS

I start this new thread because i want highlight only kaiser changes
Before posting use search button and look in this thread.

This is the kernel thread so all problem like "how to install","i can't install", "miss module", ecc ecc are not allowed. If you need to ask this probably you didn't read correctly the guide in atools.
Atools is multyplatform and need python.

2.6.32 kernel changelog
nand fixed
irq problem is now fixed

TODO:
finish battery support
rewrite camera driver
speed up gps

Latest releases are here

Atools thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to l1q1d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aceoyame
Old
(Last edited by aceoyame; 2nd December 2010 at 04:40 AM.)
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 254
Maybe now kernel development will be a little easier to keep track of. I had a random freeze in the kernel before with a message i've never seen before. Didn't think about exporting the logs. I will upload if I see it again.

It was with the 11-29 .32 kernel and only happened after I just switched to it, installed my barebones build and rebooted for the 1st time. I have never seen it since so it could have been an anomaly. Like I said, it was an error I have never seen before and will catch a log if I ever see it again.

Restorer
Old
Thanks Meter 518
It would be helpful if someone could make a list of which types of problem are kernel related, which are build related and which could be either.

I am fairly new to android and not at all clear on what does what .
Phone: Nexus 4 Stock Android 4.4.4
Tablet: Asus TF201 on the Dream Combo: HairyBean 2.31 and Hunds F2FS Kernel

daedric
Old
Thanks Meter 355
I belive it's kind of dificult to explain properly whats a kernel bug, and whats a build bug. At least with a few lines of text anyway...

We probably will have to deal with _no_kernel_related_ questions, but we must stick to the topic. If it's not kernel related, point to another thread. Or perhaps instruct to open a new one.

Also, it would be nice to have this stickied again, and if those asking questions would be so nice to inform about device ; kernel version+builddate ; type of instalation (nand VS sd img file VS sd partion VS whatever) ; radio, it would probably make it easier to understand why is the user facing issues.
IMHO of course

HTC Kaiser . CM6 ......... OC@530mHz - Kitchen Watch with NTP .
HTC Leo .... CMX OC@1.19gHz, Jellybean
HTC Ace .... CMX OC@1.5gHz, ICS + Sense 4.0

ferr2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Ipv6 support in kernel

Hi Liquid,

Could you please include ipv6 support in kernel? It's needed by some apps, like google goggles, i compiled my own kernel with ipv6 and worked fine.
I hope there is enough kernel space to include ipv6 in the current kernel version
thanks

l1q1d
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
i try to compile a ipv6 6 month ago but i have some problems with wlan.
I change some part so i'm going to do new test on it :)

daedric
Old
Thanks Meter 355
Question, not directly kernel related, but must start here.
If data using Yaffs is so unstable... why not another FS ?

clemsyn
Old
Thanks Meter 1,620

DONATE TO ME
I noticed that 2.6.25 kernel doesn't mount the partitions on relatime. Is there any chance we could do the same for 2.6.32 (which defaults to relatime). In 2.6.32, I tried to put it to atime but it doesn't work and just defaults to relatime. Could this possibly be the reason we have an unstable data partition in 2.6.32?

daedric
Old
Thanks Meter 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsyn View Post
I noticed that 2.6.25 kernel doesn't mount the partitions on relatime. Is there any chance we could do the same for 2.6.32 (which defaults to relatime). In 2.6.32, I tried to put it to atime but it doesn't work and just defaults to relatime. Could this possibly be the reason we have an unstable data partition in 2.6.32?
Could you point me where are the partitions mounted ? normaly i would search /etc/fstab, but i fearin droid they're mounted elsewhere.

One thing i found in kerneltrap is nice...

Quote:
"It's also perhaps the most stupid Unix design idea of all times. Unix is really nice and well done, but think about this a bit: 'For every file that is read from the disk, lets do a ... write to the disk! And, for every file that is already cached and which we read from the cache ... do a write to the disk!'"
This is explaining why relatime is better than atime. But if we could force a write to the disk on every access...

clemsyn
Old
Thanks Meter 1,620

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedric View Post
Could you point me where are the partitions mounted ? normaly i would search /etc/fstab, but i fearin droid they're mounted elsewhere.

One thing i found in kerneltrap is nice...

This is explaining why relatime is better than atime. But if we could force a write to the disk on every access...
its on /system/bin/userinit.sh