q about ads/function/usability on nexus one

OP timothydonohue

11th January 2010, 11:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Portland, Maine
Thanks Meter: 115

1,534 posts
More
so, i'm seriously considering getting the nexus one. i've been wanting to get onto the android scene for a bit, but have been pretty happy with my current phone (touch pro), and the customer service i get with sprint. however, i do have some concerns/questions about your experience with the N1

google owns admob, i believe. i'm concerned about being bombarded with ads. personally, i use noscript and adblock plus on my browser, just so i don't have to look at ads while i browse, and i don't watch much television, because i can't stand ads there either. so, i'm wondering if there are applications available through android that block ads. particularly the ones that just 'pop up'. i mean, i loaded an android build onto my phone that i can selectively boot into, and immediately 'get 1000s of ringtones' popped up on the homescreen, courtesy of admob. that blows. i don't want my phone doing that. ever. and, i've seen that flash is coming to android, and i started laughing during adobe's announcement of such, because they actually said 'and that's how many ads are brought to you'. more suckage. i want fewer, preferably no, ads in my life.

also saw that current software doesn't allow for some video content (e.g. divx). are there workarounds for this? i have a lot of content that is divx encoded.

i'm mostly concerned about the limitations of android/nexus one, and ads. i mean, the htc hd2 is coming out soon, and it's running on a platform that at least i know there are oodles of workarounds for the things that are initially broken. and, i still kinda have my fingers crossed that wm7 will break this year (if ever) and fix some of the rather 'rough' edges of winmo.

opinions from people that have made the leap? anyone regret leaving the winmo platform? are any of my concerns valid?
11th January 2010, 02:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 148

444 posts
Donate to Me
More
The Android platform has no advertising apart from when you enter the browser, same as any other mobile platform, you can get add block software from the Android Market to block this though as you would in your normal browser.

I'm not sure what you flashed to get dual boot into android on a winmo device, but I think this is an application rather than a ROM, as far as I know no one has ported android to a non android handset.

There are already other video players in the android market that support different video formats, and newer better software is coming out all the time, allot of devs will be jumping straight on the Nexus One.

I have previously used winmo on several devices and would say that android is by far the superiors operating system. Winmo is just far too limited. I have been using the G1 for almost a year now and doubt I would ever go back to another mobile operating system.
11th January 2010, 10:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Portland, Maine
Thanks Meter: 115

1,534 posts
More
here's how i did it, using eclair
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104276

and, it is an application, that runs a linux shell over the winmo setup, i believe. but, it works, and it's recognized as such. post to facebook says 'posted from facebook for android'.

it's buggy, naturally. but, yeah, i did get the pop up window, on the home screen
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread