Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MortPlayer

Tip us?

Mort
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Default MortPlayer

Just to let you know, there's a beta of MortPlayer in the Android Market ("MortPlayer Music (beta)").

Don't expect it to be the 50" thick swiss army knife MortPlayer for WM became.
Some features still need to be added (sleep timer, caching database, ...), but mostly I want to keep it simple to use.
So, what you get with "MortPlayer Music" is a simple, folder based player. No "favorites", just a selectable main folder. No playlist support, because that just caused confusion about the current mode and when to save. (However, there might come support for existing playlist files that determine the order of files in the same folder.) No special audio book support - but I plan to offer a separate "MortPlayer Audio Books", which of course will have it's own main directory.

What it does offer so far:
- Simple folder based navigation with folder skip buttons and hierarchical selection (tap cover)
- Selection of current track (tap track information, you can switch folder from there as well)
- Supports all common album art storages: ID3 (currently buggy), cover.jpg, folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg
- Shuffle and repeat modes as known from WM version
- Restores previously selected track
- Widgets (Cover = play/pause, track information = "remote control" popup)

What's planned:
- Cache directory structure and tag data in database (except covers, don't want to clutter the device storage...)
- Show tag data in track list
- Some eye candy (e.g. animations, background images)
- "As next track" option in track list
- Sleep timer, maybe alarm clock
- Audio book version (separate app)
- Version history dialog
- PayPal button in Help/About
- Different main screens (selection or skinning, let's see what's possible...)

What won't be implemented (soon):
- Equalizer, effects, other formats. I use Android's playback methods, and Android doesn't offer them...
- Streaming. Maybe some time as separate app, but I think there are already better solutions for that.

Maybe, some day:
- Playlist support (read only, only for files in same folder)
- Temporary folder selection (play some folder(s) not in main directory, don't save/cache anything for it)
- Tag based navigation
- Search function
- Playlist version (similar to MortPlayer for WM in playlist mode)
My site, with current versions of MortPlayer, MortButtons, MortScript, etc.
If you like my programs, please donate
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

C0dy
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Sweet! Can't wiat for this when I get my Mytouch 3g.

ssbfalcon
Old
(Last edited by ssbfalcon; 13th January 2010 at 05:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
It looks nice so far, particularly the ability to have it only read from one folder and not grab every audio file on your sdcard like the standard player... (wasn't able to try with audio yet... Left my headset home and I'm at work)

Question though... does it support crossfading or gapless audio?

No other media player I've seen in android does... I'm just starting android programming so I haven't gone through the SDK all that much so I can't see why this might be...

discine
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Its a very good idea, to make a good player for android with a good features list.

I hope it will be sucessfull.

Mort
Old
(Last edited by Mort; 14th January 2010 at 10:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbfalcon View Post
Question though... does it support crossfading or gapless audio?
No, afaik the SDK doesn't allow that (at least didn't find something). (OK, maybe I could start a 2nd MediaPlayer instance shortly before track ends... but I think that'd be pretty hard to time correctly...)
But the gaps are pretty small, at least on my Milestone. I had some intro / song follow-ups where I barely noticed the track change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discine
Its a very good idea, to make a good player for android with a good features list.
I try to focus a bit more on usability than on features for this one. The WM version became "a bit" bloated and complicated over time...
My site, with current versions of MortPlayer, MortButtons, MortScript, etc.
If you like my programs, please donate

Merman1983
Old
Thanks Meter 16
This is great news! I plan to get an Android as my next phone. It will be great to see my favorite WM application there.

the_fish
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Yet another "New MusicPlayer?" suggestion

Hey Mort!
i really love the idea of a new music player for android (finally someone did it )
however what i (and i guess a big part of the community) prefers is a player with a library like the default android player. I'm NOT telling you to change something on MortPlayer, i am just suggesting that a nice new app would be a MusicPlayer that has:
- Nice library with SIMPLE listview, not extended listview as in default music player
- Tabs instead of those buttons for Artist, Album, etc.
- Backgroundservice that prohibits the player from being crashed when running in the background
- Theme Support(?)
- Widget / maybe even LockScreen plugin? (dunno if that is doable)

just suggesting.... not telling you you have to do this but everyone would appreciate it, as the amount of 3rd party players is in my opinion. Either they are slow, or totally overloaded with features, buggy, or incompatible...

P.S.: Shouldn't be too hard as Android has a MediaService that recognizes and puts the whole Music in a library, so all you would have to do is an interface for that service.
Touch Dual - 16 key version (mda touch plus) Android 2.2
Universal - VPA IV Radio 1.08.00, Cotullas Q3 ROM
Dream - Black
Haykuro's SPL, latest Radio, CM7
Galaxy Nexus
Android Revolution latest

sthoeft
Old
Thanks Meter 2
just wanted to say THANK YOU for bringing my favorite Audioplayer at Win Mobile to Android too. I really loved MortPlayer for Win Mobile and I'm shure that I will also love Mort Player for Android. Please do also a decent Audiobookplayer because the players availible aren't even worth to mention.
Philips Nino > Compaq Ipaq > MDA Compact > vergessen > Sony Xperia X1 > Nexus one > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S4 active > Sony Xperia Z1

Branwen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Like the remote pop-up. So far looks quite good.
Would like it to maintain functionality first- coverflow etc. will be nice, but keep it usable first

archboy69
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you for dev this. Android still needs a good media player that is simple and still nice to use and look at. I was using Meridan player which was fine but just kind of boring. This on the other hand is nice from what I seen/use so far. It shows that you can make app easy to use and still pretty to look at!