Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,957 Members 38,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP]BGSwitchPPC - Change Today Screen Background Image Automatically

Tip us?

Graymi
Old
(Last edited by Graymi; 20th February 2010 at 01:41 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [APP]BGSwitchPPC - Change Today Screen Background Image Automatically

This is my first ever smartphone app, but it's based on a full-fledged windows app of mine that I've been using for a few years now.

Basically, I like to change my desktop background alot, each time I log on in fact. So I wanted something similar for my phone. Also, I wanted a way of having an appropriately dimensioned image for when the keypad was open/closed as I own an Xperia X1.

So I've created this little app for my X1.

What it does is choose a random image from a preset directory (different directory for portrait/landscape images - to allow for correct dimensions - can be the same dir if you're not fussed) and sticks it in as your Today Screen background image.

Current Features
Random Background Selection
Supports any resolution device
Different Image For Portrait/Landscape mode
Supports Different Directories To Select Portrait/Landscape Iamge From
Preview Backgrounds In The Config Util
Scheduling Support
Timer Support
New Background After Hard Reset Option

Current Wishlist:
Automatic image resizing/scaling etc
New Background After Suspend

Current Known Bugs
Hard Reset update seems buggy - but could just be my phone taking a while to load up! You might get a very scary error, but your phone won't be borked! I promise.

BGSwitchPPC.zip V0.5

Installation notes:
Copy the .exe file to wherever you want it on your WinMo device
Run the exe

Please download it and have a play. Any/All feedbacks, criticism and requests more than welcome. Let me know if you like it too

Currently tested on windows mobile 6, 6.1 and 6.5 via my X1 and the microsoft device emulators.

deio
Old
Thanks Meter 3
After you close the program it remains resident in memory? It still continues to change wallpaper, cause it would have been nice if... It's a great program, and waiting for new features like automatically changing wallpaper after a custom time (15-30 minutes for example).

Graymi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The program doesn't remain in memory. It sets itself to run as a notified program at the appropriate time. Much the same as a windows scheduled task.

I should be able to make it run every xx minutes as opposed to at a set scheduled time though. So watch this space!

deio
Old
(Last edited by deio; 12th February 2010 at 11:51 AM.) Reason: grammar
Thanks Meter 3
Ok, thanks. And there's a little thing that worries me, on my HD2, it hangs the OS for some time after I press to change wallpaper (I'm on 1.66 stock ROM), then it lets go and OS works normally after a while. Maybe others encountered the same? Also, will it change the lock screen too?

Graymi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
how long are we talking about the OS hanging here?

it takes a few seconds, maybe 5 to 10 on my phone to do the file copies when you're setting an image. I get the spinning timer, and don't believe i've tried to access the start menu, although I doubt it'd work. I imagine it would lock for longer if you're using bigger pictues, all mine are 800x640 or 640x800 to start with.

and it should change the lock screen, providing of course you're using the standard winmo one.

dagosjt
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Something missing for all the other similar programs:

Choose DESTINATION.

I mean i could have a wallpaper for WAD2, one for S2U2, one for PowerRadio, one for G-Alarm etc. etc. etc.. and each of them have it on different paths.

Your program would need a way to choose multiple pairs like:
SOURCE PATHS -> DESTINATION FILE

I hope my request it's clear

Thank you very much
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
X-Note

Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000
CyanogenMod 10.1 by Humberos/Alroger

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
CyanogenMod 10.1 RC4

Past smartphones: HTC Universal, HTC Touch HD

deio
Old
(Last edited by deio; 16th February 2010 at 04:22 PM.) Reason: Conclusion
Thanks Meter 3
I'm using stock ROM (as stated above) and it hangs the OS for some time, need to do more testing how long. Could the proggie be updated to change pictures at regular intervals, in the near future?

Well, the app is hanging the OS, it won't quit or respond to taps, not even to OK or anything else just right after I choose the wallpaper and set it, then I have to keep pressing keys until the phone responds and end program with X on taskbar. The wallpapers are 480x800 normal size.

Graymi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
deio:

What phone / version of WinMo are you using? I've only got my X1 for testing and the Windows Mobile SDK Emulators. Therefore only tested on WinMo 6.1 and 6.5.

I'll have the timer based update wrote today I reckon, just need to get some coding done between watching old lost eps

dagosjt:

to clarify: What you want is a way of changing wallpapers other than the windows today screen one. And to do this you want the ability for the program to replace a custom image file you specify when its run?

Graymi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
New version with timer support uploaded and added to front post

dagosjt
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymi View Post
deio:

What phone / version of WinMo are you using? I've only got my X1 for testing and the Windows Mobile SDK Emulators. Therefore only tested on WinMo 6.1 and 6.5.

I'll have the timer based update wrote today I reckon, just need to get some coding done between watching old lost eps

dagosjt:

to clarify: What you want is a way of changing wallpapers other than the windows today screen one. And to do this you want the ability for the program to replace a custom image file you specify when its run?
Absolutely yes! just to make an example, there are apps like G-Alarm or PowerRadio (and many others) supporting custom backgrounds. So I ask for something like:

/My Wallpapers/ -> /PowerRadio/backPowerRadio.jpg
/My Wallpapers/ -> /G-Alarml/backGAlarm.jpg

even if /My Wallpapers is the same directory, I would like the chance to choose different images (so the randomizing would happen two times, one for PowerRadio, one for GAlarm). Instead for people who like having everything the same, you could make only one randomizing for the same source, and copying that chosen image to all destination.

Hope I was clear, thanks a lot for your attention!
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
X-Note

Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000
CyanogenMod 10.1 by Humberos/Alroger

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
CyanogenMod 10.1 RC4

Past smartphones: HTC Universal, HTC Touch HD