Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[APP]Location Aware mySearch is powered by Bing!

OP Sleuth255

18th January 2010, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 39

3,543 posts
More
mySearch is a location aware search application that uses Microsoft Bing to return results based on your current position. Just enter in your search term and press the search button to return location specific results!

Note: the ROM based HTML viewer control that mySearch uses to pull web service data is broken in cooked WM6.5 builds from mid 23xxx up to 28205 (which tested good when I built for Raphael). The problem renders the viewer unable to "go online". No 21xxx ROMs are affected tmk. This includes all shipping WM6.5 builds & derivatives. Hopefully we'll get to the root problem itnf and it won't require a re-flash to correct

This app requires myLocation services. The myLocation service installer can be found here. If your device has HTC's G-Sensor service then simply orient the screen for landscape or portrait mode. Finger based scrolling/panning is also enabled on all devices that support it.

The program will install to \Program Files\mySearch. A custom png Icon is also located there for those who may wish to install it in Titanium or Manilla.

Have fun with it!

Changelog:

v1.0
Initial Release.
v1.1
Added "Back" and "New Search" navigation softkeys
v1.2
Corrected bug in "back" logic when history was > 5 links

Attached Files
File Type: cab mySearchInstallerv1.2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (83.6 KB, 227 views)
Last edited by Sleuth255; 29th January 2010 at 05:49 PM.
22nd January 2010, 02:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Milwaukee

3,543 posts
More
Of course, mySearch works for any kind of searching as well. Location info is only used by bing if you are requesting something where the results may be location relevant. For example, I was in the fish store the other day and needed a picture:

Bing actually does a very good job of automatically figuring out when you want location relevance:

In short, this little app is an all around neat search tool. With finger flickable screen scrolling, and g-sensor enabled screen sizing, I'm actually amazed at how well it works as a general purpose web browser too. Maybe my next program will be a simple browser replacement that is powered by the HTML view control! Heck, all I need is a URL input control and a progress bar...
Last edited by Sleuth255; 24th January 2010 at 05:13 PM.
24th January 2010, 01:49 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

225 posts
Is MySearch supposed to run on WM6.1 as well ? When running it on my device (Blackstone stock ROM latest), it says connecting, but nothing happens ...
24th January 2010, 04:37 AM   |  #4  
Flag Milwaukee

3,543 posts
More
It could be your connection speed. Sometimes it takes a while. Also check to make sure that you can access http://m.bing.com with PIE.
Last edited by Sleuth255; 24th January 2010 at 04:48 AM.
24th January 2010, 04:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag Milwaukee

3,543 posts
More
version 1.1 is up! I've added some essential softkey navigation features. See Post 1.
24th January 2010, 02:23 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

225 posts
You're right, there is some problem with PIE on my device, it wouldn't connect to anything, whereas Opera Mobile just works perfectly fine. I'll have to look into that ... I'll keep you up-to-date ...
29th January 2010, 05:50 PM   |  #7  
Flag Milwaukee

3,543 posts
More
v1.2 is up and corrects an issue with the Back button. See changelog for details.
3rd February 2010, 06:16 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 22

248 posts
More
This is one sweet app but its not working right on my tmo touch pro2.I've installed mylocation and installed mysearch. However when I search the listings being given are way off. I'm in upstate ny and the listings show wisconsin. is there something I can do?
4th February 2010, 09:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag Milwaukee

3,543 posts
More
MyLocation may not be working correctly. There have been reports of this with T-Mobile users using 3G services, reason being that the 3G towers aren't in Google's database. Test this with myRadar. It will show a map of the current location. You can place the service in manual mode and enter the correct latitude/longitude yourself as a work around. Also, going to Edge from 3G may correct your problem.
5th February 2010, 01:33 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Smile Also works fine on Omnia II i8000
Tested it on my Omnia II i8000 with WM6.5.3 (rom 28008 pdaviet) in combination with my MySearch and works super. Thanks!

Now I need a program that can contineously send the info to for example google latitude. The ultimate tracking solution. If someone has an idea in that direction....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread