Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SKIN SMS][06 Feb 10 UPDATE!]Beautify your standard WM SMS Thread! [All Res][WM6.1+]

Tip us?

Astronout
Old
(Last edited by Astronout; 22nd February 2010 at 10:30 PM.) Reason: Because editing is fun!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up [SKIN SMS][06 Feb 10 UPDATE!]Beautify your standard WM SMS Thread! [All Res][WM6.1+]

Well, sports, this is your fashion captain speaking

This particular thread by yxyn proved very promising with regard to the old ugly standard Windows Mobile threaded SMS window.

So here is a thread dedicated to skinning the default WM Conversation / Threaded SMS window.

Please, I urge you, read this post twice!

This heavy stuff enhances the standard WM Messaging window, making it look awesome!
First of all, and most notably, it adds a top bar with the receiver’s contact picture and his or her name.
This remains on top while scrolling through the messages.
Secondly, a bunch of images and a different colour scheme give it a new look.
Currently, there are several flavours to choose. Some of them are made by me, some belong to other passionate skinners.
Check it out below!

Requirements:Support for:
  • All devices and manufacturers
  • All resolutions

• Fuzzy images on VGA+ resolutions
  • A contact picture is only displayed of the most recent message in the thread is from the other person (so, not you)
  • Double Scrollbars
  • After rotating the screen, text might realign itself to the left
  • Conversation with multiple recipients works, but the topbar might be slightly off.

1. Enable Windows Mobile Threaded Messaging (If disabled: click here for a cab to enable it)
  2. Disable HTC Sense / Manila Messaging, so not the whole today plugin (if enabled, click here for Zenyee's cab)
  3. Download one of the cabs below (Be sure to take the right version!)
  4. Soft reset, or terminate tmail.exe
  5. Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated
Insufficient system permissions? --> Download & install sdkcerts

I am greatly indebted to yxyz who introduced me to the possibilities. My work is a corollary of his work.

Enjoy it!

Cheers

Astronout

Disclaimer: I am not responsible, bla bla bla
No, seriously, this stuff alters system files, which bears a certain risk at all times. It may unintentionally affect other applications or system business. Even though chances are slim to none, please back up your device before applying this tweak.

This skin on the web
XDA-Developers Front Page || Fuzemobility.com || WMPowerUser.com || YourMobileBlog.com || Noonski's Blog || Cebits.com || Mobilyz.com ||
Attached Files
File Type: cab Enabled WM SMS Thread.cab - [Click for QR Code] (535 Bytes, 16805 views)
File Type: cab SdkCerts.cab - [Click for QR Code] (4.6 KB, 8401 views)
File Type: cab Zenyee Disable HTC Messaging 1.2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (21.7 KB, 9443 views)
12/04/09 isn't always what it seems... 12-Apr-2009 is!
Use abbreviated months! (in stead of numerical)

HTC Raphael Touch Pro // Tael Series // radio 1.12.25.19
E-Ten Glofiish M800 / HTC Hermes 200

Astronout
Old
(Last edited by Astronout; 17th April 2010 at 09:42 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile First part of the documentation

Some General information
Renderer: IE Mobile 4 / PIE 4 (year: 2002)
Supports: JScript (v5.5? Comparable to: Javascript v1.5?), CSS (v2?), ActiveX, VBScript, XML, DHTML, XSLT, Iframes, Framesets, FTP, HTTPS, Cookies, PNG, Animated Gif
Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Inbox\Handlers
Relevant files:
\windows\thread_sms.htm
\windows\thread_style.css
\windows\trhead_iframe.css

Handlers
All Handlers can be found in the registry above. Some Handlers might be ROM-specific.

When inserting a Handler, it is replaced by the system by some HTML text. You'll find a list of the most important Handlers below.

HTML Code:
Handler for Thread Iframe 
<Inbox:ThreadIFrame>
<Inbox:content id="THREADIFRAME" links />
</Inbox:ThreadIFrame>

Replaced by:

<threadiframe style="display:block">
<inbox:content id="THREADIFRAME" links=""><iframe id="messagebody" src="Inbox:THREADIFRAME" scrolling="yes" frameborder="0"></iframe></inbox:content>
</threadiframe>
HTML Code:
Handler for Composing a new SMS
  <Inbox:ComposeSubject class="sms">
    <Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="100%" height=40 spell focus count links noclearonbackpresshold limit=0 autocap inserttab scroll />
  </Inbox:ComposeSubject>

Replaced by:

<composesubject style="display:block" class="sms"><inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="100%" height="40" spell="" focus="" count="" links="" noclearonbackpresshold="" limit="0" autocap="" inserttab="" scroll=""><object style="height:41px" id="inbox:SubjectEdit" class="richedit" classid="CLSID:C41E4139-1594-4048-B629-E8BCB0FAE8B1" width="100%" height="40"></object></inbox:content></composesubject>
HTML Code:
Handler for Sender's Picture
<Inbox:SenderPic>
          <Inbox:content id="SENDERPIC"/>
    </Inbox:SenderPic> 

Replaced by:

<senderpic style="display:none"><inbox:content id="SENDERPIC"></inbox:content></senderpic>
Mysterious Stuff
The element selectId can be used in iframe_style.css to skin the selected sms.

anhphe076
Old
Thanks Meter 16
very well!!!! Thank all!

-Arturo-
Old
(Last edited by -Arturo-; 24th January 2010 at 03:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronout View Post
Reserving a post for the source code
Astronaut great job!

I've tried one cab already(wm7 i guess) and it's looking really nice but of course there are some graphic glitches. First of all I have 2 scroll bars, part of the date is outside of the sms bubble and in the left upper corner some graphics is missing - i think a contact photo was supposed to appear there.

I'm checking the other one.

Ok the manilla skin is working fine.

Ohh i forgot to mention I'm on QVGA wm 6.5.3.

bnm7bnm
Old
Thanks Meter 4
does it work on wm6.5 builds with start button on top? (build 21889)

now i have wm6.5 build 21889 and my standart sms looks different than in first post screenshot.

-Arturo-
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm7bnm View Post
does it work on wm6.5 builds with start button on top? (build 21889)

now i have wm6.5 build 21889 and my standart sms looks different than in first post screenshot.

Astronaut also looks like neither of cabs displays contact photos. I always get "unknow contact photo" picture even though i have assigned photos to contacts.

Irishpride
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm having the same issues as Arturo, 2 scroll bars and missing graphics in the top left corner(wm7), but I have to say it is a great start to something that really needed improving. If you keep this up I might have to use the default instead of SMS-Chat for the first time since I got my Vogue!

Astronout
Old
(Last edited by Astronout; 24th January 2010 at 11:38 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Indeed, the Windows 7 theme is particularly buggy. I just uploaded a new cab which includes the top left sms icon (forgot the image in the original version ). Also, it could fix the 2 scrollbars issue and the date appearing out of the boxes.

Also, what is of great influence is the font size. It can only be changed through start menu >> settings >> system >> screen >> text size. Setting this to any value but largest (and preferably not 'larger' too), fixes quite a few issues too. Can't read it anymore? Buy glasses

With regard to the contact picture: as mentioned it works only if you are not the last reply in the thread, ie the last message is from the other person. Until I find a solution to it.

Cheers!

shiner88
Old
Thanks Meter 1
it will be nice a version of Win7 for the COM2 branch

renee613
Old
Thanks Meter 6
astronaut,

just installed the windows 7 version and im getting a line below the date. i am running a 23518 rom on omnia i910 (wqvga). is there a fix. btw, thanks for sharing this, its really nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot1.jpg
Views:	4735
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	272092  

Tags
bubble sms, iphone, it doesn't work on hd2, sms chat