How to configure Android's *internal* taskkiller

Tip us?

HomerSp
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmszabo View Post
hmmm.. a newbies question (with an not-rooted Hero); is there any chance of making this great idea applicable for not rooted Hero's as well.. or is it one of those it-is-just-not-possible thingies?
I'm guessing it's not possible as you need to make changes to a system file.

an0therus3r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I used this settings:

echo "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

But after a while (2 days) i noticed that at least 1 program andFTP was giving me a FC on start.

Trying different settings now.
Phone : HTC Desire (Graphite)

Tikerz
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Those who have disabled Compcache, do you still show a swap file when you type:

Code:
# free
?

I commented out all the lines for Compcache and rebooted, but I'm still showing I have a swap file of 48976KB. I remember before I enabled on Compcache it always showed 0KB in that row.

Tikerz
Old
(Last edited by Tikerz; 30th January 2010 at 03:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0therus3r View Post
I used this settings:

echo "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

But after a while (2 days) i noticed that at least 1 program andFTP was giving me a FC on start.

Trying different settings now.
Are you using this with Compcache enabled or disabled?

Edit: What I'm finding is with Compcache enabled the swap file is not being used because the internal task killer doesn't allow the memory to dip below the threshold to actually use the compcache swap file. Other than claiming that space back by disabling compcache, I'm curious to know if it would be beneficial to configure the internal task killer thresholds or compcache (swappiness setting) to actually use the compcache swap on occasion?

androcheck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Hi everyone,

This seems to work quite well for me too, so I've created a very simple app to help testing, it's in the market place called 'MinFreeManager' or you can search for my nic 'oldskool73' to find it also.
Hi oldskool73!

Thanks for the work!

Unfortunately I also cannot find it in the market. Is it possible that you declared the app using SDK level 1.6 or higher?
If so, would it be possible to redeploy it using sdk 1.5? Otherwise it will not be found by users of 1.5 ROMs in the market.

fwers
Old
Thanks Meter 2
had no trouble finding in app store, using kagudroid 1.1.4, on telus in canada
The Following User Says Thank You to fwers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oldskool73
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Don't want to hijack this thread, so anyone having trouble finding MinFreeManager in the store or wanting to give feedback etc should hop over to my blog post about it where you can find the APK for download and leave comments....

(sorry, just joined to can't leave external links yet...)
www dustypixels com/blog/2010/01/30/android-app-minfreemanager/

Yeah, it is 1.6+ I'm afraid, it was just created on a whim in one night and I started building it for 2.1 because that's what I'm on, didn't give it much thought. I later tried stepping down the SDK's but it wouldn't build on 1.5, not sure why yet. As you can see on the pic on my blog post, it was 6.30am by then so I just put it up as is. Sorry about that for anyone on 1.5, will take another look when I get a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldskool73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andy22
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Need an app similar to the overclocking widgets for this.

chocmatic
Old
(Last edited by chocmatic; 30th January 2010 at 08:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmeli View Post
Thanks! I added a custom file to that directory. However it doesn't seem to load my settings after reboot.

nemesys504
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, so anyone having trouble finding MinFreeManager in the store or wanting to give feedback etc should hop over to my blog post about it where you can find the APK for download and leave comments....

(sorry, just joined to can't leave external links yet...)
www dustypixels com/blog/2010/01/30/android-app-minfreemanager/

Yeah, it is 1.6+ I'm afraid, it was just created on a whim in one night and I started building it for 2.1 because that's what I'm on, didn't give it much thought. I later tried stepping down the SDK's but it wouldn't build on 1.5, not sure why yet. As you can see on the pic on my blog post, it was 6.30am by then so I just put it up as is. Sorry about that for anyone on 1.5, will take another look when I get a chance.
Just wanna say great work and it sucks it doesnt work for 1.5 right now but I was thinking if you could add a default option to your app where it inserts the default values 1536,2048,4096,5120,5632,6144 back to the minfree.

Tags
guide, how to