Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Convince me! Benefits of Custom ROMs vs Disadvantage of losing OTA

OP henihazbay

2nd February 2010, 09:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

71 posts
Hi all

Actually the subject speaks it self but,
As you probably know, after you install a custom ROM, you'll lose OTA eligibility which includes flash support for browser, bug fixes and much more.

Still, I know you'll keep on installing custom ROMs... So Convince me to install a custom ROM...
2nd February 2010, 09:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 2

246 posts
Donate to Me
More
you lose (I was wrong you get OTA on custom roms) ota but anything OTA is gonna be on this site in seconds
Last edited by kylez64; 2nd February 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: I was wrong you get OTA on custom roms
2nd February 2010, 09:57 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 164

3,201 posts
Donate to Me
When you are ready to void your warranty then install a custom ROM. What makes you think that these OTA updates won't magically find a place into custom ROMs?

With a custom ROM you get root access. You will never have root access with an OTA ROM, if you know enough about android and how to use root access then that should be enough for you.
2nd February 2010, 10:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag El Mirage, AZ
Thanks Meter: 0

150 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by henihazbay

Hi all

Actually the subject speaks it self but,
As you probably know, after you install a custom ROM, you'll lose OTA eligibility which includes flash support for browser, bug fixes and much more.

Still, I know you'll keep on installing custom ROMs... So Convince me to install a custom ROM...

Chances are, anything included in an OTA update will be on XDA (by way of custom ROMS) before it hits phones via OTA. For example, multi-touch in the browser was already in Cyanogen's Rom (and possibly others). Sure, maps didn't have it, but only cause Cyanogen didn't enable it yet, posssibly because he figured Google would get to it in a short time anyway, who knows. The patch to enable full access to your memory was here first as well, and (at this time) we still don't know if today's OTA update includes this. Lots of other reasons to root, but if all you're worried about is getting OTA updates, you can stop worrying.
2nd February 2010, 11:02 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

151 posts
In fairness I've not noticed any performance increase on my Nexus One, since adding the Cyanogen rom on Sunday.

There are a few more apps, some extra options, and a really dodgy multitouch in the browser app, but I have to admit I don't really think it was worth it for me.

Fortunately I've got the nandroid backup of my stock rom, so in a week or so I'll probably restore that and get the OTA updates anyway...
3rd February 2010, 05:06 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

50 posts
More
the difference between cooked multitouch and the native one in the OTA is quite noticeable.

rather than estimating the pinch to zoom (like on the Hero/Sense UI) the new 2.1-update1 is extremely accurate zooming where your fingers are placed, as well as being smooth as butter.
14th February 2010, 05:11 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond77

In fairness I've not noticed any performance increase on my Nexus One, since adding the Cyanogen rom on Sunday.

There are a few more apps, some extra options, and a really dodgy multitouch in the browser app, but I have to admit I don't really think it was worth it for me.

Fortunately I've got the nandroid backup of my stock rom, so in a week or so I'll probably restore that and get the OTA updates anyway...

Is this possible? I think once you rooted, you can't get the OTAs anymore
14th February 2010, 05:14 PM   |  #8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 51

572 posts
More
if you are rooted but have stock bootloader and stock rom you can receive OTA updates still, and still install them aswell,
14th February 2010, 05:23 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 31

1,137 posts
More
You do know that the features included in the official OTA that just was released a few days ago have already been placed into most of the available ROMs, when you root, you're really not "losing" the ability to get OTAs, you just are losing the ability to get them automatically sent to your phone. It just means you must install then manually, or, i.e, update the ROM your using.

When Flash 10.1 comes, do not worry, it will be in every ROM in a matter of hours. Or even before it is officially released - everything is possible after rooting. Also, after rooting, you are allowed to just do "more". Like have custom trackball colors, Nexus Torch, other apps that require ROOT access - and, for those who like installing different Android Builds, like Sense, that is all possible too.
14th February 2010, 05:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 176

2,535 posts
rooting is more of a warranty issue then anything else.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash, nexus, otal, rom
Previous Thread Next Thread