Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 37,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Haret.exe Android Install and Boot from Windows Mobile

Tip us?

umbilicalbungee
Old
(Last edited by umbilicalbungee; 19th March 2010 at 06:34 PM.) Reason: no longer relevant
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Haret.exe Android Install and Boot from Windows Mobile

*Update: These instructions now seem to be outdated. I will started an updated thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=648045
------------
(sorry I tried to post some live links, but the forum won't allow them cause I'm a new user, so this may not be as helpful as I hoped...)

I just spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.

I am a bit of a newb, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.

First ignore the install instructions here. sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall . They are old and need to be updated.
  • Erase all previous android files from your sd card
  • Go here: sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/
  • haretinstall.zip
  • open the zip and place the andboot folder and all its contents on the / directory of your SD card
  • then download eclair252_androidinstall.zip
  • unzip eclair252_androidinstall.zip to get androidinstall.tar
  • copy androidinstall.tar to your sdcard /andboot folder
    (unnecessarily steps deleted - see below)
  • Then on your phone's file explorer run haret.exe from /andboot folder on you sd card
  • click run and immediately hold the volume switch up as linux boots
  • the boot menu appears. choose install
  • if the installation hangs hold volume up again, and choose quit

As I said I'm new at this, so my instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.

egzthunder1
Old
Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Thanks Meter 4792
Location: At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilicalbungee View Post
(sorry I tried to post some live links, but the forum won't allow them cause I'm a new user, so this may not be as helpful as I hoped...)

I just spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.

I am a bit of a newb, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.

First ignore the install instructions here. sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall . They are old and need to be updated.
  • download basefiles.zip
  • open the zip and place the andboot folder and all its contents on the / directory of your SD card
  • then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
  • unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
  • copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder
  • Then on your phone's file explorer run haret.exe from /andboot folder on you sd card

As I said I'm new at this, so my instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.
Actually, you just answered my question (which I never posted) about NoRootFS.... Thanks for posting this!!!!

"As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for I am the God of Death... and this is my valley"

I have ORD

Want to see my devices? Click Below

HTC Blue Angel
ROM: WM 6.5.3 Build 23698 by d-two
Radio: 1.15

HTC Vogue (Verizon Touch)
ROM: Froyo Android (NAND) by incubus26j
Radio: 3.42.50

HTC EVO 3D
ROM: YAS4 v9 by howpathetic (ICS 4.0.4)
PRI: 1.43_003
Radio: 1.09.00.0706
HBOOT: Eng HBOOT (S-OFF)

Sony Xperia T LT30p
ROM: Stock, 91.A.0.148 (Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - GPE
ROM: Stock, Unrooted (KitKat 4.4.2)
Bootloader: Locked

Huawei Premia 4G
ROM: Stock, Rooted (ICS 4.0.4)

HTC One (M8)
ROM: Stock, unrooted (1.57.531.7)
Radio: 1.16.21331931
HBOOT: Locked (S-ON)

Learn how to flash: CDMA Rapahel, Vogue

brarsandeep
Old
Thanks Meter 0
THANK YOU!!!

incubus26jc
Old
(Last edited by incubus26jc; 5th February 2010 at 10:46 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3572

DONATE TO ME
can you explain what is the benefits of doing it this way compared to the way its always been for me. it was as simple as downloading the sqsh package zip file from my favorite build here. witch included all the files i needed to run anroid. I copied the android folder from the zip file to the root of my sd card and simply ran haret exe. It used to be complicated but not now that most builds include all the basefiles needed for boot. I never had to hold any volume buttons or install anything. i probably look dumb for asking this.

tmcfarland
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus26jc View Post
can you explain what is the benefits of doing it this way compared to the way its always been for me. it was as simple as downloading the sqsh package zip file from my favorite build here. witch included all the files i needed to run anroid. I copied the android folder from the zip file to the root of my sd card and simply ran haret exe. It used to be complicated but not now that most builds include all the basefiles needed for boot. I never had to hold any volume buttons or install anything. i probably look dumb for asking this.
Although I have not yet tried myself because I have a Polaris and WiFi is not yet working, my understanding is that NoMoRootFS makes more space available for the ROM and makes it easier for developers to roll out updates. In the thread for Myn's (most excellent) Warm Donut, there are several themes and updates that can only be applied to Rev2 if you have installed via NoMoRootFS.

ryomahino
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilicalbungee View Post

• download basefiles.zip
  • then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
  • unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
  • copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder
I think that this step is not needed. The NBH files were made for flash your phone. If you run Haret is not needed.
Am I right?
If you like my work please consider

tatnai
Old
(Last edited by tatnai; 6th February 2010 at 12:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 208

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryomahino View Post
I think that this step is not needed. The NBH files were made for flash your phone. If you run Haret is not needed.
Am I right?
correct. with the OP method, the .nbh file is just taking up space. you never need to do anything with a .nbh file if you are using haret. OP, please fix and I will add to my list of FAQs, otherwise very informative. thx.
[ LG Mako Nexus 4 ][ TWRP 2.7.1.0 ][ many Android 4.4 custom roms thx atl4tis, DariosF, AOSPA, and others ]

[ LG Hammerhead Nexus 5 ][ stock - wife's phone ]

Retired:[ HTC Jewel EVO 4G LTE ][ water damage by wife ]
Retired:[ HTC Shooter EVO 3D ][ water damage by wife ]
Retired:[ HTC Supersonic EVO 4G ][ still works (because I didn't let my wife use it) ]
Retired:[ HTC Vogue Touch ]
[ resold ]

Emmie0702
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help

I can't get this to boot on my Vogue. The black Linux screen pops up & starts running but stops. The last line says...
[ 2.226233] Rebooting in 3 seconds.._

I've followed your instruction to the letter & can't see to get it to work. Anyone have suggestions?
Emmie0702
DEVICE: nTelos [CDMA] HTC One V ROOTED
ANDROID: 4.0.3
HTC SENSE: 4.0
ROM: STOCK
RECOVERY: TWRP CDMA 2.1.0

tatnai
Old
(Last edited by tatnai; 7th February 2010 at 02:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 208

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie0702 View Post
I can't get this to boot on my Vogue. The black Linux screen pops up & starts running but stops. The last line says...
[ 2.226233] Rebooting in 3 seconds.._

I've followed your instruction to the letter & can't see to get it to work. Anyone have suggestions?
Did you get into the install menu by holding volume up? easiest and quickest way to help you is if you describe exactly what you did - I know it is similar to the OP, but just give a step by step in your own words.
[ LG Mako Nexus 4 ][ TWRP 2.7.1.0 ][ many Android 4.4 custom roms thx atl4tis, DariosF, AOSPA, and others ]

[ LG Hammerhead Nexus 5 ][ stock - wife's phone ]

Retired:[ HTC Jewel EVO 4G LTE ][ water damage by wife ]
Retired:[ HTC Shooter EVO 3D ][ water damage by wife ]
Retired:[ HTC Supersonic EVO 4G ][ still works (because I didn't let my wife use it) ]
Retired:[ HTC Vogue Touch ]
[ resold ]

olibt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I did all of the steps but linux boot stops at : failed to reach system.img on SD Card...