Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,124 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The REAL truth about N1 touch screen

Tip us?

dnts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default The REAL truth about N1 touch screen

Well - hate to break it to ya all... the touch sensor is not true multi-touch. It's not iPhone-like full matrix capacitive touch screen. Yes- it can pinch to zoom and might do some limited rotate (very limited) but it's based on the same technology of common touch pads - it can do only single finger tracking. The pinch gesture can be recognized but if you are thinking you can have apps like the iPhone piano or guitar - or for that matter - a multi touch keyboard - well - it will not happen with the N1 touch screen.
Not to say that it is a problem - multi touch is over hyped as-is. The pinch-to is just good enough and the zoom bar on previous HTC phones was just as useful.
But don't expect the N1 to detect the position of more than one finger.
Given that - I wish they stayed with resistive touch screen where you could use a stylus to type - 15 days with the N1 and still I find it harder to type with my finger that using a stylus with my now sold HTC HD.

But there is no comparing old WinMo with Android. N1 is a keeper.
IPAQ3650....Prophet....Trinity....Kaiser...Blackst one..... N1.....Nexus S... Asus Transformer....

Old
(Last edited by 513; 6th February 2010 at 04:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Hum, so how come you can find a multi-touch keyboard in the market ?

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...dpro-wnzt.aspx

And, not that I don't believe you, but do you have any real proof of what you are saying ?

dnts
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I've downloaded that app. Couldn't see any multi-touch - it would just press the key I put my last finger on.. just like it should if it was what we call a 2-way touchpad.
I work in developing touch solutions so I know a little bit about them.. The N1 screen, to the best of my experience is not true multi-touch.
IPAQ3650....Prophet....Trinity....Kaiser...Blackst one..... N1.....Nexus S... Asus Transformer....

SBS_
Old
(Last edited by SBS_; 6th February 2010 at 05:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
dnts:

You could download "MultiTouch Visualizer" and see how N1 handles multitouch, it should be in the market.

If that app is correct, the N1 can distuingish between 2 points at a time which as far as I know is exactly the same as on iphone.

edit:
Just a comment about pinch to zoom, wouldn't this be impossible without multi-touch? The center point between your fingers do not change and as such it has to be multi-touch to allow this gesture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

pjcforpres
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnts View Post
I've downloaded that app. Couldn't see any multi-touch - it would just press the key I put my last finger on.. just like it should if it was what we call a 2-way touchpad.
I work in developing touch solutions so I know a little bit about them.. The N1 screen, to the best of my experience is not true multi-touch.
In your OP you say the screen is a specific type that doesn't support it... general user experience of an app in BETA stage isn't a good way to determine that...

Do you have any other reason to claim the hardware of the N1 does not support multi-touch?
Current:
Me: LG Thrill, rooted, et al
Wife: Infuse, slaps my hand away before I can root it...

xManMythLegend
Old
Thanks Meter 105
OP has zero clue what hes talking about.
He contradicts himself several times.

Theres MT visualizer as mentioned and theres numerous fingerpaint drawing apps that let you do 2 fingers at the same time.

Why not start a post with N1 doesnt have a true trackball.

grainysand
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xManMythLegend View Post
Why not start a post with N1 doesnt have a true trackball.
The trackball is a lie!

Uejji
Old
Thanks Meter 86
There could be some merit to this statement. The form of multitouch the touchscreen on the G1 and Magic (perhaps more, but I'm not sure) used was capable of "2x1d" positioning. That is, if you touched the screen in two places, it knew the two x coordinates being touched and the two y coordinates being touched, but had to way of correlating which x was paired to which y... this was handled in software.

This was fine for pinch gestures, but recall in Luke Hutchison's videos where he showed that the software could become confused and pair the x and y incorrectly, which would lead to the system registering the opposite corners of the touch "box" between your fingers.

You can still see the effect today on some multitouch applications in the Market on the Nexus One. Like multitouch pong or the multitouch plugin for ethereal dialpad. In each case, the software can directly determine the initial touch points usually, but when points cross in the x or y axis they will "snap" together in that axis, and when moving from that position may become confused. This makes games like Multitouch Pong unusable on the Nexus One because it is just not reliable. However I have no way of knowing if this is a hardware limitation or a limitation in the touch software, and nobody has really talked about it.

This is contrasted to the iphone, whose touch screen allows it to keep track of touch points as two (x,y) coordinates without any sort of axis snapping.

pjcforpres
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uejji View Post
There could be some merit to this statement. The form of multitouch the touchscreen on the G1 and Magic (perhaps more, but I'm not sure) used was capable of "2x1d" positioning. That is, if you touched the screen in two places, it knew the two x coordinates being touched and the two y coordinates being touched, but had to way of correlating which x was paired to which y... this was handled in software.

This was fine for pinch gestures, but recall in Luke Hutchison's videos where he showed that the software could become confused and pair the x and y incorrectly, which would lead to the system registering the opposite corners of the touch "box" between your fingers.

You can still see the effect today on some multitouch applications in the Market on the Nexus One. Like multitouch pong or the multitouch plugin for ethereal dialpad. In each case, the software can directly determine the initial touch points usually, but when points cross in the x or y axis they will "snap" together in that axis, and when moving from that position may become confused. This makes games like Multitouch Pong unusable on the Nexus One because it is just not reliable. However I have no way of knowing if this is a hardware limitation or a limitation in the touch software, and nobody has really talked about it.

This is contrasted to the iphone, whose touch screen allows it to keep track of touch points as two (x,y) coordinates without any sort of axis snapping.
It is software... even the iPhone has issues with tracking the X,Y pairs when they run into one another, but they have 3 generations of of software developement to help sort it all out. Even with that, you can still confuse the iPhone's multi-touch... make an "X" shape on the scren by running your fingers togther than apart in two "V" shapes, and 99% of the the time it will register it is two seperate lines crossing, and not two actual V's... as well, if you try to cross your fingers it can get even crazier!

The N1 does have a ways to go in terms of multi-touch software and app support to catch up to the iPhone, but I don't see anywhere that supports the claim it is a hardware limitation.
Current:
Me: LG Thrill, rooted, et al
Wife: Infuse, slaps my hand away before I can root it...

hypersonicx
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Default Stylus...

Im sorry but resistant touch screens are the worse screen to be on. Typing on a resistance touch screen is the worst experience ever. Go try a Samsung Omnia I or HTC Touch Diamond.

If your on a all screen device with no keyboard, capacitive is the way to go. Its obvious that the OP doesnt know what he is talking about or doesnt have past experience with resistant touch screens.

If your fingers too big and you need a stylus thats your problem, not a problem of the device.
-=((R-L-D))=-