XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Xvid avi player

OP llotech

7th February 2010, 10:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
More
Does anyone know where to get a video player that plays compressed avi files? I'v tried every player available to me in the market but so far nothing.
8th February 2010, 07:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
you can't, you need to convert to mp4 inoder to watch movies or videos on android. i use Video Player to watch the vids and Handbrake to convert to mp4 handbrake.fr is the website i believe.
9th February 2010, 04:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
More
Thanks silencer,

I don't really understand why this has to be this way, but I'll take your word for it. I thought it only required some kind of codec to play different kinds of videos.

Thanks again, HandBrake works great.
9th February 2010, 08:44 PM   |  #4  
Flag Boynton Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 30

1,752 posts
More
DivX is a proprietary codec, which means licensing fees for every phone. Don't talk about XviD, it's a knock-off/reverse engineered DivX codec and will never come stock on a phone.

Android != windows - You can't just drop in codecs that the player wasn't compiled with.
10th February 2010, 12:59 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 191

1,478 posts
More
Could somebody not port the media player from the new Archos Android device. It plays almost all video formats including Divx and Xvid.

By the way, there is a paid-for app on the marketplace called yxflash which will play xvid and divx, albeit a bit choppy. There is a trial version which will play for 2 minutes that you could try out.

The Archos player would be cool though!
11th February 2010, 01:07 AM   |  #6  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
More
I'm found way to porting xvid on android
But its only a libxvidcore.so
You must write an application to use it, but it's not so hard.

export _XXCFLAGS=" -mcpu=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=vfpv3 -O3 -Os" (if you have Motorola Milestone/Droid or other device with TI OMAP3430)
export _XXCFLAGS=" -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -O3 -Os" (if you have HTC Hero or other device with Quallcomm MSM 7200A)
or others flags for your device, based on information of his chip.

also you must have cross-toolchain to build it.

cd src/build/generic
./configure --host=arm --target=arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi CC="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc" \
CXX="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-g++" STRIP="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-strip" \
AR="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ar" AS="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-as" \
LD="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ld" RANLIB="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ranlib" \
OBJDUMP="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-objdump" NM="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-nm" \
CROSS_COMPILE="arm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-" \
CFLAGS=" -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -fPIC $_XXFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS=" -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -fPIC $_XXFLAGS" \
LDFLAGS=" -fPIC -static -s -L$HOME/build/cross/sys-root/usr/lib -lm -lc" --prefix="$HOME/build/cross/sys-root/usr"
cd =build
rm-android-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ld -shared -s -o libxvidcore.so -whole-archive libxvidcore.a

libxvidcore.so - shared library without any dependencies (only kernel!, not libc)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inform for toolchain
Based on crosstol-ng with gnu gcc + uClibc + kernel sources from your device vendor.
If needed i can post advanced information with sample configs. But i'm have very bad memory - so if you needed advanced howto - please send direct (private) message.
11th February 2010, 01:15 AM   |  #7  
Flag Moscow

25 posts
More
Of course, this instruction for build from latest source from official xvid site
11th February 2010, 09:20 PM   |  #8  
Flag Moscow

25 posts
More
Full howto on this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=631818

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
avi, media, player, video
Previous Thread Next Thread