idea & code: 6Fg8
HTC HD2, nothing else!
How it works
The built-in compass uses the earth's magnetic field to calculate the deviation from magnetic north. As with every compass, if you put a piece of metal nearby, it gets deviated. Thats what i use here to detect metal.
Place your device flat on a surface. After starting the app, the gauge should show zero. If it doesnt, take your device and write a couple of "eights" in the air (this is to get rid of magnetism which might get stuck in the sensors).
Then use a pair of scissor or something the like and move it slowly to the right side of your device. At a distance of approx. 5 cm. the gauge should start to move. Take your device and move it with its right side near metals, and see if the gauge shows values.
How to recalibrate the electronic compass
- detection algorithm improved (tilt compensation)
- sensitivity slider (red) now working
- continous ticking after app exit solved
- new app icon, thanks jaguaralani
- now uses HW accelerated opengl (problem with silvermoon solved, thanks Phippu)
changed skin, added sound ticks and vibration
first public release (alpha)
download metal detector
planned for future versions
DONE new skin
DONE sound ticks
DONE adjustable sensitivity (offset no longer needed)
DONE improved detection algorithm
- 3rd party skinning options
- save vibrate and sound settings