The noob experiments :p
Thx for the interest in this threat master thingonaspring
I think the multiple keypresses in FinalBurn are not just because that specific emulator coded, because when i use it with every other MAME rom (street fighter II, etc) it can't register multiple keypresses. So it may be because the ROM (The punisher) as well.
a little insight on how the KB driver works (from a noob perspective -- that's me
). I CAN register 2 keypresses in all the Emulators & Roms using this way (my experiments) :
1. when we want to press & hold forward and the press the RUN button to run forward the result is we WALK forward (registers pressing forward key and holding forward key) and the when we press the RUN button, it stopped moving (it registers what? i think it registers the run button only -- see the next experiment).
2. the next is how i register run + forward : when i press & hold RUN button first (no move on the game), then i press + hold forward, the result is walking (not running forward) So the hypothesis is : is registers the second button only.
3. After we did #2, while still holding the forward button (2nd button), i release the RUN button (1st button) & then i press it again (1st button), Voila! it can register those 2 keys at the same time. (this trick can be used in ALL the Emus, so i think this is how the KB driver works)
So i think this is how the Uni keyboard works :
* holding A button (1st press) and then holding the B button (1st press) : it registers holding the B button only. the A button hold are forgotten.
* after holding the B button (1st press+hold) if we release the A button & then press it again : it registers & remembers holding the B button (1st press+ hold) & when pressing the A button (2nd press) it registers both A&B button being pressed & hold at the same time. The B button hold are NOT forgotten.
i hope that helps contributing to making an emulator friendly KB driver.
I'm really a noob in this things, but seeing a veteran like thingonaspring intersted in this give hope to us Uni users.. Hope other masters can collaborate making a project to overcome this limitation.
p.s. i hope it's not too confusing, because my english are really bad