[APP] < CarPal > Monitor maintenance for several cars with autoreminders | v0.91 beta
UPDATE April 4: I decided to stop the development for the WM OS. I sold my WM phones and switched over to Android (N1). I'll continue working on this app for that OS. Sorry to whoever was waiting for updates for WM, and a HUGE "thank you" to guys who provided feedback/requests for features.
The whole idea was to create a modernly-designed application for my Rhodium that would keep track of different maintenance tasks for my car. What makes this app different from the others is that you set how many miles you drive per day (on the average we drive same amount, give or take), that will allow the App to "predict" what your car's odometer shows. Based on that (+ depending on how many days ahead you want the reminder to be) it will throw a reminder telling you about that particular task.
Currently, the project in is beta. It's fully usable, but not yet as easy/convenient/cool as I want it to be. Of course, I expect there to be bugs, but mostly visual, non-critical stuff that I'm still working on. For curious minds, data is stored in CarPalData.xml in the working folder, unencrypted. I decided to keep it that way for easy access and modification.
If anybody wants to tinker with this on his/her own, lemme know, I'll make it open-source.
Update Feb 26:
Sorry guys, got a real big project at work right now, no time for on-the-side development... Should free up next week or so, I definitelly want to add some cool new features to CarPal. Thanks for all the feedback - I'll use it to prioritize the new features. Most likely expect the bike support, gas usage/stats and Dutch/Spanish/Italian languages in next release. Hang tight =)
Please send me your translations!
To translate the app, follow these simple steps:
1. Install the app.
2. Go to \Device\Program Files\CarPal\ and grab the CarPalTranslations.xml file from there.
3. Inside the file, duplicate the "English" node, and rename it to your language name.
4. Translate all the strings in your new node, just make sure you keep the node names intact, only rename the contents of the "string" attribute.
5. Send me your file and you'll see your language in the new release!
New in version 0.91b:
- Works with any "decent" resolution (Q|VGA, W|VGA, landscape + portrait).
- Wizard-based data entry
- High-contrast design to be easily visible outside
- Keep track of multiple cars in the same app
- Create multiple tasks for every car
- Automatic reminders based on how many miles you drive per day on average
- Add additional details to your tasks, like locations, owners, etc.
Screenshots (made in WVGA):
Still being worked on:
- Multi-language support. Comes with English and Russian by default. Very easy XML translation, contact me if you wanna translate it.
- New item in settings - can switch languages from there.
- If you hide the app instead of exiting, it will hide too damn well. hard to bring it back up.
- Some visual bugs
- Get rid of that horrible icon.
- Integrating reminders into system reminders
- Testing how well the app behaves when it's hidden (running in the background)
- Improving interface to be more clear as to where user is at, etc
- Non-touchscreen device support. So far app relies on users tapping on buttons.
- Add csv importing funtions
- Some easy method of translating interface to diff. languages
- Other things on my list...
I'd love some feedback, if you tried it - let me know how it worked for you, and what are your thoughts.
And remember - I keep all data in a separate xml file, so you won't lose any data as the app is updated. So feel free to enter your stuff into the app, just backup the CarPalData.xml as needed.