Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,214 Members 43,163 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WP7 -IS- Backwards compatible (well almost)

Tip us?

Zaim2
Old
(Last edited by Zaim2; 16th February 2010 at 06:40 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WP7 -IS- Backwards compatible (well almost)

Quote:
Applications that were made for Windows Mobile 6 are compatible with Windows Phone 7 Series. The interface of the new mobile operating system has been changed though, so the user interface for these applications will have to be changed as well.
"So there is no reason why programs written for Windows Mobile 6 cannot run on the new version of the OS", said Maarten Sonneveld of Microsoft Netherlands to Tweakers.net. "The interface is complete different though, so the applications will have to be changed somewhat before being ready for Windows Phone 7 Series".
It is still unclear how developers can port their user interfaces to the new version of Windows Mobile. Microsoft will only disclose how applications can be developed and distributed at their developer event Mix2010.
Microsoft announced it’s new OS on Monday afternoon at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The OS is primarily aimed at synchronisation and integration with Microsft-services like Windows Live, Bing, Zune and Xbox Live. Aside from those Windows Phone 7 Series can also synchronise with Google-accounts and facebook.
Source

So in summary, while none of the current applications will run on it, the underlying non-UI APIs will be compatible. So if understand correctly, porting would just a case of redeveloping the UI then recompiling, rather than starting completely from scratch. This acts to filter out apps with no more developer support, and promote a consistent UI.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

elyl
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
That might explain why TomTom was seen on that screenshot of WP7 running on the HD2 (although, it could be a fake!). TomTom takes control of the screen, so uses no WM interface elements. So, it might be able to run full-screen apps/games without changes.

But, who knows...

RustyGrom
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyl View Post
That might explain why TomTom was seen on that screenshot of WP7 running on the HD2 (although, it could be a fake!). TomTom takes control of the screen, so uses no WM interface elements. So, it might be able to run full-screen apps/games without changes.

But, who knows...
I was just thinking the same except if you use the included .net controls, there's no reason that the OS couldn't just reskin them automatically to be at least somewhat more in line with the WP7 styling.

Fred23
Old
Thanks Meter 4
This would be excellent if it's true - and I can't see why it wouldn't be. The UI may be new but why throw away a perfectly good underlying core.

What would also be ideal is if the "multi-tasking" involved an app being set to pause in the background by default, but with a "keep me running" API call available for apps that needed it. I'm sure most apps hog resourses not because they need to but because the developer hasn't really thought about how the rest of the device performs when his app has been left running.

RufusThorne
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Makes sense, WindowsCE core is still the same

mamaich
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 213

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post
Applications that were made for Windows Mobile 6 are compatible with Windows Phone 7 Series
Absolutely wrong statement due to incorrect translation. Original: "De interface van Windows Phone 7 Series is totaal anders, waardoor er in elk geval iets aan de applicaties moet gebeuren voordat ze geschikt zijn voor Windows Phone 7 Series"
Even google translates it correctly:
"The interface of Windows 7 Phone Series is different, which in any case something should happen to the applications before they are suitable for Windows 7 Phone Series".

We have some "ms confidential" documentation dated January 2010 that proves that none of the existing apps would be compatible with WinPhone7. And the only programming suite that is available to "generic" application-writers is Silverlight+XNA. Native apps are prohibited. Only OEMs and MO are allowed to create them (and even they have a set of limitations).
We would not have even source code compatibility - as all our C++ apps have to be converted to .NET.

freyberry
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaich View Post
We have some "ms confidential" documentation dated January 2010...
What the heck? And you say that only now? What else is in there? Any word about how background tasks are handled? Please give us some more information, or maybe, can you upload that documentation?

mamaich
Old
(Last edited by mamaich; 18th February 2010 at 12:20 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 213

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyberry View Post
maybe, can you upload that documentation?
Obviously I cannot. As it would reveal the person who provided it.
Just to prove that such info really exists - see attached screenshots.

I really hope that the community would force MS to change such a dumb idea to limit independent software vendors to create only managed apps. Prohibiting C++ as a developing language, and "hiding" Windows API from programmer would force lots of developers to abandon this platform. The main reason of success of old WinMobile OSes was the ability to recompile "desktop" apps to WinMobile with just a minor set of changes (ANSI->Unicode + some interface changes).

P.S. I don't read PMs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	282436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	282437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	282438  

freyberry
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Well, there's certainly a way to remove that information. But anyway, what about background tasks? Are third party applications allowed to run in the background?

burnblue
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaich View Post

I really hope that the community would force MS to change such a dumb idea to limit independent software vendors to create only managed apps. Prohibiting C++ as a developing language, and "hiding" Windows API from programmer would force lots of developers to abandon this platform. The main reason of success of old WinMobile OSes was the ability to recompile "desktop" apps to WinMobile with just a minor set of changes (ANSI->Unicode + some interface changes).

P.S. I don't read PMs.
Wow, I can't believe noone has picked up on this