Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Photon: What Windows Mobile 7 could have been

OP freyberry

19th February 2010, 12:02 AM   |  #11  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,450

881 posts
More
some screens ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom0.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	282889   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom1.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	282890   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom2.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	282891   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom5.png
Views:	687
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	282892   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom9.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	282893   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom12.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	282894   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom14.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	282895   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEZoom13.png
Views:	679
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	282899  
19th February 2010, 12:06 AM   |  #12  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 214

1,150 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_sith

Any chance of a Photon leak? Would be nice project for Xda Dev.

We had old alpha versions. It was very unfinished, slow and buggy.
Cotulla has posted its screenshots above.
19th February 2010, 02:46 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

1,077 posts
More
I think Photon looked good. They should at least have finished the work on it and released it instead of WM6.5.
Let those 1000 developers work on Windows Phone OS 7.0 and another 500 work on Photon, release Photon in mid 2009 as WM6.5 and Windows Phone OS 7.0 a year later.
That would have been perfect. Ah I'm dreaming...

Mamaich, any chance you could have another look at that dev document, whether third party applications get paused when sent to the background?

(i.e. whether or not developers are allowed to write programs like GPS tracking tools or FTP clients that can do their work in the background)
19th February 2010, 04:49 AM   |  #14  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 214

1,150 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyberry

Mamaich, any chance you could have another look at that dev document, whether third party applications get paused when sent to the background?

There is no such info in the docs I have. These are OEM docs, they have lots of information on WinPhone kernel, and only brief info on user apps.

I personally like WinPhone 7 kernel. It supports lots of different sensors, hardware accelerated Direct3D API (no OpenGL ES), multi-touch, almost all drivers are split in MDD+PDD model simplifying BSP development and ROM updates, redesigned security model.

Obviously we will hack WinPhone7 to enable running native apps (similar to "rooting" Androids that we have to do to install features like VPN client), and publish our own "native mode SDKs" here on XDA.
19th February 2010, 04:53 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member

1,077 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaich

There is no such info in the docs I have. These are OEM docs, they have lots of information on WinPhone kernel, and only brief info on user apps.

Thanks a lot. We will have to wait, then.

Obviously, WP7 will be hacked and we will be able to develop native and multitasking applications. But I seriously hope that big, important applications like GPS navigation programs won't be restricted from running in the background... I'll contact MS concerning that issue
19th February 2010, 05:06 AM   |  #16  
Flag Melbourne

219 posts
More
If MS continue with the Photon project, it would be more of the same.They would continue to loss marketshare. It may be technically more advanced for the WM powerusers. Unfortunately, it is a small minority for the market. the fact that Apple could sell their dump phone (1st iPhone) in millions and continue to do so well tells us what appeals to the the mass market. MS really has no choice but to follow the path they are doing now if they are to remain relevant to the mobile space. Yes, it is risky but the alternative is certain to fail.
19th February 2010, 08:13 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 123

827 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyberry

Thanks a lot. We will have to wait, then.

Obviously, WP7 will be hacked and we will be able to develop native and multitasking applications. But I seriously hope that big, important applications like GPS navigation programs won't be restricted from running in the background... I'll contact MS concerning that issue

I assume that Navigation programs would belong to that type of application that would receive a multitasking permission by MS.... If that story about the permissions is true!? But looking at the already exisiting Designed for Windows Mobile or Marketplace submission handbook this pretty much fits in with MS's way of handling 3rd party applications.
19th February 2010, 08:54 AM   |  #18  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 2

33 posts
Donate to Me
More
from the picture. are thet from Windows "Mobile" 7 ?

I like these UI. Microsoft should place these UI to WM6.x if WM7 was killed
19th February 2010, 09:20 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 123

827 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhisper

from the picture. are thet from Windows "Mobile" 7 ?

I like these UI. Microsoft should place these UI to WM6.x if WM7 was killed

Me only like other screenshots I've seen with the new bottom bar (battery and signal indication + start button in the middle. I don't know if it's even real. Whatever, I'm gonna make it happen on WM 6.5.x! I already managed to change look of the taskbar. the bottom bar will be next project.
Last edited by ramdroid77; 19th February 2010 at 09:27 AM.
19th February 2010, 11:21 AM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 39

653 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGrom

Apparently pocketnow is in the process of moving to a new server and that article is on the new server. I can't see it either.

Microsoft is MASSIVELY different than Palm. In size, skills, and especially developer support and tools.

WebOS is a great OS but like you said, it's main failure is developer support. First, it's partially their fault due to the architecture. Until recently, you couldn't really write "native" apps using their SDK (people hacked it long ago but that's another story). Basically you were limited to little more than a web page with increased access to the phone. Meh. Also, WebOS has very minimal market penetration. Until recently it was only available on the US's #3 carrier and only later on select carriers abroad. Why develop software for a device that hardly anyone has? Apple was (as they always seem to do) able to drum up a large amout of support with very little reason to show for it. Microsoft will have a much more compelling story than Apple did with it's iPhone but will lack Apple's "it" factor (Jobs' RDF).

Palm is tiny. They don't have the money and patience like MS does to sustain a long, battle for the hearts and minds of phone users everywhere. Just look at what MS did with the Xbox. They didn't turn a profit on that unit until well into the Xbox 360. But did MS quit after the original Xbox was a failure? No, they tried harder. And now look.

Palm doesn't have the devloper tools. Yea, they can write plugins for Eclipse but they lack the ability to write extensive APIs and integrate them into Visual Studio. Do not underestimate the power of .net (figuratively and literally). Silverlight is fantastic as is XNA. If I can make a 'game' (although it sucked lol) anyone can.

No guts no glory. Microsoft is playing for keeps. I have no doubt that WP7 or WP8 will be successful.

FYI, Windows 7 is really Windows 6.1. And just like Longhorn, Photon was likely destined to be a failure. Vista was a necessary step to get to 7. The hatred for Vista is largely unfounded and 7 really is just Vista with the complaints fixed and a bit more modern UI.

We still don't know the story on app compat. It's running WinCE and it will support silverlight (.net) so there's little reason, other than wanting a complete clean break, that most old apps won't work. WinCE uses cab installs just like WM (because it is CE). I can write one app and deploy it to a bare WinCE 6.0 system or to WM6.5 (CE5). Maybe they will allow old stuff, maybe they won't. We won't know til next month. They very well may not have made this decision yet.

At one time the iPhone had 0 apps and WM had a **** ton. How long did it take for iPhone to build up a huge base of devs? I'm expecting a pretty solid selection of apps written for WP7 right from launch. Microsoft already has a lot of the key stuff onboard. I've got something in mind and will likely be doing one myself (something I started for WM6).

I have to agree with all of the above, as well as my HD2, I have a Palm Pre and whilst I watched the WP7S presentation from MWC, I kept thinking - "that's like the Pre" Palm did a great job with the user interface on WebOS - it blows away the iPhone and Winmo for ease of use, but they did release an unfinished product (although they have managed to put a reasonable spin on the ongoing development by pitching "new features" into the mix every couple of months - things that should have been there day1).

MS are huge in comparison to Palm and provided they do not get bogged down with "big corp intertia", my guess is that the new OS will lauch complete with all bells and whistles intact.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread