Wow, how many smartphone OS's do we need?

Search This thread

BenF1

Jun 11, 2009
South Devon
What ever happened to just WinMo and Blackberry and Symbian?

We now have

• Windows Mobile
  • Windows Phone Series 7
  • Android
  • WebOS
  • Bada
  • LG are developing there own
  • S-Class (sort of counts?)
  • iPhone OS
  • Motorola are developing there own
  • Symbian s60
  • Maemo
  • Blackberry OS

I know more choice is usually a better thing, but surely there is a limit?

Last edited:

Amd12

Oct 24, 2008
There is a big difference between Smart OS and other Regular OS`s that intended to be for feature phones , such as Brew, S40 Nokia feature phones platform .. I personally dont think its right to classify Beda OS as smart OS .. but anyway samsung is using the "Smart" word more that any other company.
Btw LG announced they are not planning to build an OS.
Its good to have variety of choices plus it bring up new stuff .. look how amazing webOS is,how stable iPhone OS is .. and hey .. seems like android is capable of putting the best of all out there ..
anyway .. in time the bad OSes will die and disappear the good ones only would make it and stay

BenF1

Jun 11, 2009
South Devon
Beda OS as smart OS .. but anyway samsung is using the "Smart" word more that any other company.

Have you seen the spec on the Bada OS phone? Cetainly seems like a smartphone to me!

But I agree with Brew and s40 not really counting - they're aimed at more budget phones.

Nevertheless do we need 6+ options?

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
samsung are making their own linux based os too

and nokia and intel are merging their linux based into 1 I read

slaming

Feb 3, 2010
wow you completely forgot blackberry the king of messaging i mean i know it actually sucks at web browsing but i mean when i start using my berry loads i type faster on that i can on my computer. i gotta say i do like iphone os and winmo. but i recon im gonna go android from now on i've used symbian it suck used blackberry and i hate the ui ( love the messaging and the intergration with facebook i mean us winmo guys get sent an email and have to reply to that but with blackberry the email comes thru but appears as a facebook notification in your messages if you open it it instantly opens the facebook app and takes you to that message photo or status) i like iphone just wish it was more customisable (dad has an iphone and loves everything except the fact you can't change stuff as easily such as battery light from the home screen) i'm using winmo and its bearable due to the fact that sense ui is amazing. but android is the way forward. but in response i feel we probably need about 4 each for diffrent people iphone for anyone android for anyone who hates apple (or realised its actually better than iphone) blackberry for people who need amazing messaging and winmo 7 for thoose windows fan boys

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
not sure if blackberry is big outside of America at least I never seen one in the country I live in

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Hadn't realized we had so many "sorta" working phone O/S'es out there. The company that makes an O/S that works bug-free out-of-the-box will cash in big. To steal a famous quote:

"One O/S to rule them all and in the darkness bind them."

:)

Last edited:

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
What I'd like to see:

From Android:

Android Phone OS - Android basic OS for phones
AndroidMB - Android mobile business. Google needs to focus on the business market that doesn't strive for a hippie company that lets their entire staff come outside for the passing of Street View vehicles

From Apple:

iPhoneOS
MMB - Mac Mobile Business

From Microsoft

Windows Phone
Windows Mobile Business

I want a business phone that is as close as possible to a mobile computer. Not some interface that makes it fast for me to make a couple quick swipes with my finger to show someone a YouTube video. I understand that it's where the market is going, but there's a lot more contract money in business. Microsoft knows this. Everyone else needs to join the bandwagon. Microsoft can't forget this.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
dont forget hTC ;)

yep its true..they are working on there own OS too...(to be revealed this year)

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Personally I find more choice is better. The more competition the better things are for the user in the end run, i.e. better technology, lower prices to name a few. Yes, it can be confusing on which to choose, but would you rather we all use the same device??? Didn't think so.

Also, not are new technologies make it, look at the mini-disc as one example of a technology which was supposed to take over from the CD, but were is it now??? The same applies to phone OS.....not all will make it, but the ideas behind these technologies will be incorporated into the ones which will succeed.....again only better for the end user

JM2C

Rick