Easiest Step-By-Step Android Tutorial for the Vogue (NAND Method/Internal Memory)
I have created this post because I was honestly baffled by the NAND install threads for the Vogue that I found, that claimed to be "straightforward" and simple, but the people who wrote them leave a lot of gaps that you have to figure out. Perhaps they have been doing it for so long now, that they just 'assume' you will know stuff, so here are step-by-step instructions for someone who has zero experience with Android, and all they know is that they have a Window mobile phone.
So, Here is the NAND install process (will install Android to your internal memory, which is much better than running from the SD card) for the HTC Vogue (240x320), CDMA or GSM. I believe this is the most straightforward tutorial on this entire site, and all files you need are provided in this post; no file-hunting necessary like with other tutorials. Keep in mind, this process will wipe your internal memory and replace it with Android, so you should backup any personal files you have stored on the phone. If you have a CDMA phone (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) then you should make sure to backup your Contacts using a 3rd party program. GSM phones however (ATT, T-Mobile, etc.), typically store their contacts to a SIM card, which is not altered by this process. You do not need to backup your SD card, since it is also not altered when installing Android.
This process works for any ROM release that provides an "androidinstall.tar" file in their download package.
First and foremost, make sure you have unlocked your phone ("2.31 CoKe" HardSPL for CDMA Vogues). If you have ever flashed a custom Windows ROM from this site or ppcgeeks.com, to your device, then you most likely already have an unlocked phone. If not, perform the steps HERE first, before continuing AND flash to a custom Windows Mobile ROM (non-stock) and make sure your phone is provisioned (you can get and receive calls), and that you can use data (if you have a data plan).
1. Wipe your SD card, and make sure it is formatted FAT32
2. Create a new folder in the root of the SD card called "andboot"
3. Download the ROM release package of your choice (for example, you can download the 240x320 version of Myn’s Warm Donut - [RLS 5 - 04/24/2010] HERE
4. Extract files from STEP 3 and put ONLY the "androidinstall.tar" file in the andboot folder on the SD card, by itself (no other files are needed)
5. You are DONE putting files on your SD card. At this point, put the SD card into your phone.
6. Download the latest NBH file that begins with "voguimg-240x320-..." (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
7. Download the RUU Update Utility (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
8. Rename the NBH file to from STEP 6 to "RUU_signed.nbh" and place it inside the folder with all the other files from STEP 7
9. Now, put your Vogue in bootloader mode: Hold down power, camera, and the small reset hole (with your stylus), until you see the tri-color screen, and it says "Serial" at the bottom
10. Plug your phone into your computer, and the "Serial" text should change the "USB"
11. Now, run the "ROMUpdateUtility.exe" from STEP 7, and click the "Next" or "OK" buttons to go through the flash/ROM update process, until your phone shows a progress bar on its screen and is updating.
12. As soon as that progress bar finishes the phone will automatically reboot; at this point unplug the phone from the computer
13. Now, watch carefully during the Linux boot process...there will be a quick message that says "Hold down Volume Up or D Pad". Just press and hold the center D-Pad button until you see the screen change to the installer menu. If you happen to miss it, and it continues loading, then just use your stylus to press the reset button (it will not hurt the phone or any files to try again as many times as you need to.)
14. You will now see a black and white menu. Select option 1, to "Install..."
15. Select "Yes" on the recommended prompt that follows
16. Once it says the Install process is complete and it returns you to the menu, just reboot your phone with the reset button
17. At this point just WAIT. Do NOT press the volume up button again, and do not do anything until you see the Android desktop. You may get an error saying that it could not find a file or something like that, but just ignore it...do not get impatient! Pretty soon the Android progress bar will show on the screen (might take up to 5 minutes), then the Android desktop will load.
DONE. Enjoy Android on your Vogue!
You can now delete all the files on the SD card if you wish...Android will recreate anything it needs on boot-up each time.
MASS STORAGE FIX (USB to PC):
You can get the Mass Storage fix HERE
so that your storage card will show up as a drive on your computer. This is a widget, and not ROM specific, so should work for any Android ROM.
KAISER WI-FI FIX (for the Kaiser phone ONLY!):
Download the Wi-Fi fix HERE (intended for use with 'myn's Warm Eclair RLS1', linked in STEP 3)
I do not ask for donations, just say 'Thanks' if this helped you.
UPDATE: This Thread is now featured on Wired.com's News Site!! Link: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...obile-android/