Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 45,390 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking to Learn

Tip us?

Patb8man
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Looking to Learn

Hello I frequent the boards...actually on a daily basis. I dont post a lot as you can see...mainly because the posts are usually thoroughly explained and I usually dont have a lot of problems that I cant already find the answers to.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to the board. I currently have the HTC hero and I have installed all but 1 of the current available roms, I had the Touch Pro before and the Touch prior to that. I have uses custom roms for all so a huge thanks to all the devs.

My reason for posting is I want to learn how to develop myself eventually but for now I have a specific question about getting the most out of my rooted HTC hero. Darchstar posted this:

adb shell remount
adb push e2fsck /system/bin
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod a+x e2fsck
a2sd
reboot

Its to enable apps2sd. I want to get a little help of understanding how to apply it. I rooted my phone so I did a lot of edits in cmd promt...but for me it was just a matter of following instructions I want to learn what I am actually doing and how to fully take advantage of rooting my phone. I dont use terminal emulator or SU really for anything because I dont understand how to use them or even the full extent of what they can do. I know theres a wiki...but I really dont know what to search. As of now I have been having devs do everything for me to an extent. I use a kitchen which is pretty much automated and I have just been following instructions on the board.

I am pretty good with computers, i build them and fix them all the time for people...and with phones also. Im a tech in a cellphone store so you can gather I am a tinkerer. I am not looking to be told how to do things and just follow the instructions I want to know what I am doing, even though here I have never been steered wrong. I want to be educated.

I know this post is long winded and I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help offered.

illogic6
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patb8man View Post
Hello I frequent the boards...actually on a daily basis. I dont post a lot as you can see...mainly because the posts are usually thoroughly explained and I usually dont have a lot of problems that I cant already find the answers to.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to the board. I currently have the HTC hero and I have installed all but 1 of the current available roms, I had the Touch Pro before and the Touch prior to that. I have uses custom roms for all so a huge thanks to all the devs.

My reason for posting is I want to learn how to develop myself eventually but for now I have a specific question about getting the most out of my rooted HTC hero. Darchstar posted this:

adb shell remount
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod a+x e2fsck
a2sd
reboot

Its to enable apps2sd. I want to get a little help of understanding how to apply it. I rooted my phone so I did a lot of edits in cmd promt...but for me it was just a matter of following instructions I want to learn what I am actually doing and how to fully take advantage of rooting my phone. I dont use terminal emulator or SU really for anything because I dont understand how to use them or even the full extent of what they can do. I know theres a wiki...but I really dont know what to search. As of now I have been having devs do everything for me to an extent. I use a kitchen which is pretty much automated and I have just been following instructions on the board.

I am pretty good with computers, i build them and fix them all the time for people...and with phones also. Im a tech in a cellphone store so you can gather I am a tinkerer. I am not looking to be told how to do things and just follow the instructions I want to know what I am doing, even though here I have never been steered wrong. I want to be educated.

I know this post is long winded and I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help offered.
The best way to learn about this stuff is to bite the bullet and install a Linux distro on your computer. I've also took up teaching myself to code Java in my spare time which will help you understand Android a lot better.

Also: You need an EXT partition on your SD to enable apps2sd. Is that what you're asking?

Patb8man
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks. I do have an ext partition on my card and it I am currently using it with gumbo 1.5c bare. I was just thinking about installing 2.1 and before I did I wanted to make sure I could enable app2sd. I was just using it as an example. I just want to learn in general. Is linus distro a version of the os I would dual boot with or does it emulate in windows? Also how did you just start java? A google search and article research, book or are you in school?

Is_907
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

adb shell remount
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod a+x e2fsck
a2sd
reboot

Basically these commands are installing the e2fsck, a program that formats a partition in the ext2 file system, so that apps2sd can run.

Here is a breakdown:
adb shell remount --remount the file system of your phone so you can write a file to it
adb push e2fsck /system/bin --copy the file/program e2fsck to the directory /system/bin on the phone
adb shell --switch from your computer's shell (cmd) to control the shell environment of the phone
cd /system/bin --change directory to work in /system/bin
chmod a+x e2fsck --change the permissions of e2fsck so that you can actually execute (run) it
a2sd --run apps2sd (a2sd) so that it can set itself up (it will call on e2fsck)
reboot --reboot the phone.

Hope that's what you were looking for.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon

Is_907
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Thanks. I do have an ext partition on my card and it I am currently using it with gumbo 1.5c bare. I was just thinking about installing 2.1 and before I did I wanted to make sure I could enable app2sd. I was just using it as an example. I just want to learn in general. Is linus distro a version of the os I would dual boot with or does it emulate in windows? Also how did you just start java? A google search and article research, book or are you in school?
(Sorry for double posting, folks... timing...)

I would highly recommend that you dual boot or install Linux on a spare computer until you are comfortable with it. If you want, you could run VirtualBox to emulate another system (VM) and install Linux there.

Patb8man
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is_907 View Post
Basically these commands are installing the e2fsck, a program that formats a partition in the ext2 file system, so that apps2sd can run.

Here is a breakdown:
adb shell remount --remount the file system of your phone so you can write a file to it
adb push e2fsck /system/bin --copy the file/program e2fsck to the directory /system/bin on the phone
adb shell --switch from your computer's shell (cmd) to control the shell environment of the phone
cd /system/bin --change directory to work in /system/bin
chmod a+x e2fsck --change the permissions of e2fsck so that you can actually execute (run) it
a2sd --run apps2sd (a2sd) so that it can set itself up (it will call on e2fsck)
reboot --reboot the phone.

Hope that's what you were looking for.
for the adb shell remount part when i hook the phone up to the computer w debugging on when I run a command prompt how do I get to the adb in the first place. I am not familiar with that to begin with. I know I had to edit it when I rooted my phone...but like I said I really didnt understand what I was doing it was just a matter of following instructions. Thank you for the detailed description of whats going on...thats where I want to be where I can just see that and decipher it.

5tr4t4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Install Ubuntu Linux dual-boot, or short of that install VirtualBox or VMWare with Ubuntu running as a VM. You might also look at Wubi, a way to install Linux within Windows. I've never used it but it looks interesting.

Also, as with darch's post you mention, I'm no dev, learning as I go, but I use my Unix/Linux terminal chops MUCH more than java. Learn java if you want to write apps but if you want to help hack on ROM's, learn to use the shell. Android is Linux, after all.

As with anything, the best way to learn is to dive in.

thematrixkid17
Old
(Last edited by thematrixkid17; 22nd February 2010 at 07:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
for the adb shell remount part when i hook the phone up to the computer w debugging on when I run a command prompt how do I get to the adb in the first place. I am not familiar with that to begin with. I know I had to edit it when I rooted my phone...but like I said I really didnt understand what I was doing it was just a matter of following instructions. Thank you for the detailed description of whats going on...thats where I want to be where I can just see that and decipher it.
adb is a utility that is in the tools folder of the android sdk, which you probably already have somewhere, because it is used to root the phone. Then you'll open up a command prompt, and navigate to the tools folder of the sdk. You'll 'navigate' using the 'cd' command. Once you're navigated the command prompt to the tools folder, you can run the adb program that is in it.

Edit: in general, it can be really helpful to know both DOS and UNIX commands, even if it's just the basic ones pertaining to copying, deleting, moving, renaming, etc. Here are two good cheat sheets: http://www.computerhope.com/overview.htm http://www.computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
Qualcomm QCP-1960 -> Sanyo PM-8200 -> LG LX550 -> Samsung Rant -> HTC Touch Pro -> HTC Hero -> Samsung Epic 4G -> HTC Evo 3D

Is_907
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah, just go Start > Run > cmd (or if you're on Vista/Win7 do Start > cmd > Enter)
I do this once I have cmd running:
cd D:\Downloads\android-sdk-windows\tools
D:
adb devices
adb remount

Patb8man
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tr4t4 View Post
Install Ubuntu Linux dual-boot, or short of that install VirtualBox or VMWare with Ubuntu running as a VM. You might also look at Wubi, a way to install Linux within Windows. I've never used it but it looks interesting.

Also, as with darch's post you mention, I'm no dev, learning as I go, but I use my Unix/Linux terminal chops MUCH more than java. Learn java if you want to write apps but if you want to help hack on ROM's, learn to use the shell. Android is Linux, after all.

As with anything, the best way to learn is to dive in.

Thanks very good stuff. I will check it out.

Thanks to everyone who posted so far I can see I will be up late tonight LOL.